KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Thoughts on my Anilist

Thoughts on my Anilist
Started by: DarthSkywalker0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Thoughts on my Anilist

https://anilist.co/user/DSO/animelist

Any recommendations for what I should see next?

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker0 on Jul 30th, 2018 at 05:06 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 05:02 AM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

You can't go wrong with Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 05:13 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I'd need to know what you thought of the ones you've seen to give a good recommendation.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 05:20 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I'd need to know what you thought of the ones you've seen to give a good recommendation.

Which anime do you want my thoughts on?

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 05:22 AM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I mean, you could give your thoughts on each genre, although I suppose you haven't watched enough anime for that to save you much time. It'd even be a nice reference point just know what sort of shows you liked, didn't like, were indifferent to, etc. For example, you said earlier that you gave DBS a 3/10, but I don't know if that's just because it was bad, or if you felt the same way about similar shows like, say, HxH.

It'd make things easier if you gave your opinion on reading manga, as well. People couldn't well recommend unfinished anime, for example, if you weren't willing to read the source material.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 05:44 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by NewGuy01
I mean, you could give your thoughts on each genre, although I suppose you haven't watched enough anime for that to save you much time. It'd even be a nice reference point just know what sort of shows you liked, didn't like, were indifferent to, etc. For example, you said earlier that you gave DBS a 3/10, but I don't know if that's just because it was bad, or if you felt the same way about similar shows like, say, HxH.

It'd make things easier if you gave your opinion on reading manga, as well. People couldn't well recommend unfinished anime, for example, if you weren't willing to read the source material.

Well, there is shonen I like. IE FMA and FMAB

Last edited by DarthSkywalker0 on Jul 30th, 2018 at 06:14 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 06:12 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Well, that's no surprise. FMA is pretty much the best of its genre. If you're looking for another shonen anime, then Magi is probably your best bet. Hellsing, One Punch Man, and Fate/Stay Night will probably also appeal, although they're all pretty atypical for shonen.

If you're looking to watch something else like Evangelion, though, those would all be terrible recommendations. That's why I was asking, since there are all sorts of anime that do what they do well, but a recommendation should be at least somewhat tailored to the viewer's tastes. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Not that I'd really have a good answer if you asked for another show like Evangelion.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Jul 30th, 2018 at 07:09 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 07:06 AM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

I'd be curious to see your ratings Sas. What is your top 5?

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 07:24 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Lists are pretty hard, largely for the same reason good recommendations are hard. I've watched quite a bit of anime, and quite a few different genres of anime, many of which I enjoy for different reasons. I mean, what's the best: creative and well-animated action sequences? likable/memorable characters? a well-directed and intriguing plot? good atmosphere, art, and sound design? consistently good comedy? something complex and thought-provoking? something simple and lighthearted? I mean, generally speaking you'd want a show to have several of the above, but the point is that it's really hard to rank things that are enjoyable for different reasons against each other. It's a lame answer, but it's the answer.

But because I'd feel bad just leaving you hanging, one example of a manga that I really liked was Pandora Hearts. It's an easy mention because it did just about everything well, bit of a jack of all trades. The anime stopped early on and will never be finished, though.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Jul 30th, 2018 at 08:06 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 08:02 AM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

I have to say, Sas, I am impressed with how well thought out your responses are.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 03:09 PM
ares834

Yeah, you haven't really watched enough for me to give you recommendations based on your tastes. But some of my favorites that are more "mainstream" are:

Code Geass
Death Note
Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
One Punch Man

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 03:31 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Yeah, that's really the crux of the matter. Unless you're looking for something specific, you still have a ton of mainstream shows to cover. I could make a list of them if you'd like, but to be honest, you don't really need me for that. They're mainstream.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 07:01 PM
NemeBro

Re: Thoughts on my Anilist

Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
https://anilist.co/user/DSO/animelist

Any recommendations for what I should see next?
All right, judging by your rankings on your short list you seem to have a fondness for mind screwy, symbolism-laden shows with atypical plots. The main exception to this rule among your more highly-regarded shows is FMA: Brotherhood, which while nearing the apex of the shonen demographic of anime, is not quite the mind screw Eva or Fooly Cooly are.

I can work up a good list I think, but to do much more I'd like to hear what you liked/disliked about some shows. Don't need an essay on each or anything, just a brief overview on your thoughts.

Namely, I'd like to know the reasoning behind your relatively lukewarm rating of Attack on Titan, and your outright panning of season two (below DBS even!).

I'd also be interested in reading why you preferred the original FMA to Brotherhood, and what you thought of Berserk, and DB (and Z).

Anyway, a short list of anime I've seen:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (also known as Puella Magi Madoka Magica): First show that came to mind. It is often touted as being to magical girls what Evangelion is to mecha. If you can stomach the cutesy moe artstyle and make it to episode 3, this is a series you might like, and I'm not saying much more than that. Easily enjoyable even if you're not particularly knowledgeable of magical girl shows. If you do watch it, I would recommend watching up to episode 3 and deciding then if you're going to finish or drop it. The first two episodes are more of a slow build up as well as an introduction to the characters and key concepts, let's say.

Cowboy Bebop: Already on your list so I'm not going to say much, only going to highly recommend you watch it in English. The English dub is absolutely stellar, and is nearly universally better-regarded than the Japanese, even by its creator, and Steve Blum is the definitive voice for Spike Spiegal.

Made in Abyss: A more recent show, but a great one. Like Madoka, it has a pretty moe art style but it has a great premise of a young girl befriending a human robot, which she found while excavating the upper levels of the Abyss, a gigantic, eldritch hole in the earth where shit gets weirder the further down you go, and where all manner of fantastic creatures and relics seemingly from a bygone age can be found. Like Evangelion, this is a show that isn't afraid to show the brutal consequences of a character's actions, and doesn't shy from going to places that could alienate its viewers. Warning: differing Japanese opinions on child nudity are present here. It is relatively tame, featuring no explicit shots of nipples or genitalia, but some viewers might find it a little off-putting in a few scenes.

These are three that came to mind pretty much immediately, but yeah give me some input on what you liked or disliked about the shows you've seen, and what you enjoy in anime in general really. I've seen a good amount of shows and even films, so I'd like to hope I can find something you will hopefully like.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 01:54 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Thanks for the detailed response, Nemebro, I appreciate it. In regards to your questions, I didn't rate AOT higher because I found the characters to be uninspired and the story to a be a bit melodramatic. Erin is an annoying protagonist who doesn't excite me. That being said, I still did like AOT. I think Season 2 is an absolute disaster. The overuse of flashbacks, wasted episodes, terrible pacing, and lack of preexisting character development severely hurt the show for me. I'll make a post on 03 vs. Broho at some point, as I have lots of thoughts there. But in short, I prefer the darker tone and atmosphere of 03. I think its a better-directed show with stronger characters and a better setup for its payoffs. Regarding Berserk, I really liked the characters specifically Griffith, however, I do think it can get overly expository and suffers a bit from prequelitus. But it is unquestionably a great show.

What I enjoy in anime: Character-based stories, shows that require me to think about them after their completion, nice philosophical themes, and strong directing.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker0 on Jul 31st, 2018 at 02:36 AM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 02:32 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

>realizes that the numbers in the right hand corner of the thumbnails are ratings

Oh... that's embarrassing. Well, based what you've said so far, the first thing that comes to mind is Katanagatari--it meets three of the four criteria you mentioned above. You'd probably like steins;gate too, although I personally didn't find it to be as good as the rest of the anime community did. The same goes for Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

As already mentioned, Death Note, Code Geass, and Made In Abyss are also good choices.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 04:39 PM
cdtm

If you like Star Wars, you can't go wrong with Star Blazers.

Which came before Star Wars, for the record.

A lone ship goes out to save Earth, facing down an entire alien armada. It's better then anything Gundam, imo.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2018 07:31 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote