KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » You Were Never Really Here (2018)

You Were Never Really Here (2018)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
Ungod

You Were Never Really Here (2018)

Looks good...

I haven't seen anything with Joaquin Phoenix in a long time...

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 12:23 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

^You ever check out The Master or Inherent Vice? PTA's two J. Phoenix's films.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2018 11:16 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Might be a fun flick as long as it don't get to heavy on the Drama.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2018 11:40 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

looks decent

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 01:57 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

quote: (post)
Originally posted by John Murdoch
^You ever check out The Master or Inherent Vice? PTA's two J. Phoenix's films.

No, I haven't. Wasn't The Master loosely related to L. Ron Hubbard/Scientology? Or no?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2018 03:28 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Haven’t seen any places near me that carry this

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 15th, 2018 05:25 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

^ *whispers*

(it's leaked already)

Old Post Apr 15th, 2018 08:33 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I watched this. Didn't like. Too slow moving and weird.

I don't necessarily mind slow moving and sometimes weird can be okay, too, but this wasn't a good combination to me.

It's a shame because it's a cool concept wasted.

Old Post May 8th, 2018 10:15 PM
Rick Deckard

Recently saw YWNRH & found it brilliant - one of the best movies from 2017, or any year for that matter. Extremely disturbing & horrific; the flash-backs were used to great effect, and you got a clearer picture of Joe's psyche due to the horrors he had been through in his past - i.e., the abuse by his father as a child; his prior military/war experiences, etc.

The story was very compelling. I.e., here is a guy who is hired "under the table" to find kidnapping victims (all young women) & does whatever it takes to achieve his goal(s), including killing the criminals involved. The parents who "hire" him obviously don't care about going through "proper channels" and just want to find their child - at all costs. And, instead of using guns/firepower as weapons, Joe instead uses a "hammer" that he buys in a local store.

I am huge fan of Taxi Driver & other gritty/urban NYC-based films from the '70's, and this brought to mind films from that era - which I'm sure was intentional. The movie also brought to mind more recent NYC-based films like Bad Lieutenant and Good Time (as a previous poster mentioned), which were themselves seeming homages to '70's films.

I normally find JP's acting too "wooden", but that quality really fit his character here - in fact, I find this to be his best role yet.

I did see quite a few distinct homages to Taxi Driver:

-Both Travis Bickle & Joe (JP) are loners.

-Both obviously suffer from PTSD, almost certainly because of their prior military service/war experiences. This was obvious in flash-backs in YWNRH; in TD Bickle stated that he had been in the Marines - and almost certainly saw combat in Vietnam. Going along with this, both had serious physical scars.

-Both Bickle & Joe rescued a young girl from a life of degradation.

-Both Bickle & Joe went up against a political figure. However, in TD, Bickle's hatred toward Palantine was unwarranted. Conversely, in YWNRH Joe went up against a politician who was kidnapping young women.

-Both films featured the lead character driving around NYC at night, and seeing the neon signs, street life outside, etc. - while remaining separated from everything around them.

That all being said, I don't see YWNRH as a copy of TD by any means - the details were completely different in both films. If anything, as I mentioned I see YWNRH as an homage to TD with some similarities - but still with an overall different storyline.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2018 04:13 AM
Rick Deckard is currently offline Click here to Send Rick Deckard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Deckard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote