KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Good Starting Points

Good Starting Points
Started by: Eon Blue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good Starting Points

It seems like a number of you are extremely knowledgeable on various characters and story arcs that it’s unfathomable. Where did you get started with comics and where/what would you recommend to become on par?

I consider myself a novice and have limited exposure to certain characters (mainly Marvel), but the comic book world is so vast and daunting I don’t know where to begin.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 09:27 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ghostman

torrents and cmro. travis. you can find certain characters entire chronology from torrents. and on cmro you can find every single appearence from a character in order.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 09:45 PM
ghostman is currently offline Click here to Send ghostman a Private Message Find more posts by ghostman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

My personality is a desire to know and learn things. Even to make fun of people I like to learn things about them.
Eventually this leads to knowing everything I can about a character. Someone says something I don't know? Time to read comics. I like to know the whys and hows of this thing. Of course this has its limits because some things I don't care about, and just won't learn about it.

For characters I actually like, I'll read them in full. Anything I learn now about comics is from newer ones or from someone saying something interesting in a debate. I learn everything I can about that going as far back as I need to, even if I don't post about it ever.

How I got started is from me only knowing about the cartoons and very few comics and old Marvel Cards. I found this forum after buying some of the Galactus Marvel Legends wave and lurked it years or at least a year before joining. Superman Prime, Tyrant, Galactus, Thanos, etc. You join, learn minute bits of info from others, and then start investigating on your own once you learn how to download comics. Eventually you learn Long Pig is a filthy liar, and so on.

Anyway, my advice would be to pick a comic and read it. Doesn't matter where. If someone recommends something that appears like something you might like and is short enough (if length's a shortcoming), check it out. No matter how accurate a summary or review is, they can never capture the feeling and context of the actual comic. You like a character? Read about them. If something sounds interesting to you on the forum, ask for an issue number or what you should read to get the full scope.

Throw out a character or two and I'm sure people will be more than willing to give you some stories involving them.

Also comicbook db is a Godsend for some characters.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 09:45 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

Bran learned everything he knows from me.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 09:53 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I'd be lying if I said I didn't learn from Carver tbh. Although that's mostly a Long Pig sort of deal - Carv Pig if you will. Old CP was out there being viewed by grown men doing questionable things on the internet, and someone had to Chris Hansen him.

Carv Pig probably taught me more (indirectly) than I'll ever care to admit. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be even a midget of the man I am today.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 11:26 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eon Blue
It seems like a number of you are extremely knowledgeable on various characters and story arcs that it’s unfathomable. Where did you get started with comics and where/what would you recommend to become on par?

I consider myself a novice and have limited exposure to certain characters (mainly Marvel), but the comic book world is so vast and daunting I don’t know where to begin.

Find a character you like and go from there. I grew up watching the old Incredible Hulk show with Bill Bixby. From there I started reading Hulk and Marvel...DC came from my fascination with Christopher Reeves Superman.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 11:36 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

My first comic was Marvel Zombies lol

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 11:51 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

My first was Siegethumb up

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 11:55 PM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

The first full story (not single comics) I can remember reading was Infinite Crisis. Decent event to kick things off.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:02 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thanks for all the input, guys.
The first place I started with was Infinity Gauntlet for Marvel and The Sandman series for Vertigo/DC.

Sandman was my starting place for all of Vertigo in general. I got really into Lucifer and Preacher from there. When it comes to DC I’ve always been drawn to their magickal/supernatural characters whereas it’s always been a cosmic interest for Marvel.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:46 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

You don't really have to exit a comfort zone. I read zero things outside DC and Marvel now and I am perfectly miserable with my choice. Though I do need to finish Spawn one day.

As for Marvel cosmic shenanigans, here's a good list:
https://www.comicbookherald.com/mar...963-to-present/

DC/Vertigo, the big five for what you need are Hellblazer, Lucifer, Sandman (everything), and Swamp Thing started at Moore's reboot, and Books of Magic. Spectre is great as well for what you need.

This list should help somewhat (shit list tbh). Just pick out the supernatural ones though. JSA is pretty heavily focused on what you're looking for.

https://www.comicbookherald.com/dc-...-reading-order/

Add in Zatanna and Deadman if you like. Shazam as well. Nu-DC Constantine and any of his appearances are good.

Again, comicbook db is good for this, for example:
http://comicbookdb.com/search.php?f...chtype=FullSite

Last edited by One Big Mob on Sep 8th, 2018 at 01:13 AM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 01:10 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by One Big Mob
You don't really have to exit a comfort zone. I read zero things outside DC and Marvel now and I am perfectly miserable with my choice. Though I do need to finish Spawn one day.

As for Marvel cosmic shenanigans, here's a good list:
https://www.comicbookherald.com/mar...963-to-present/

DC/Vertigo, the big five for what you need are Hellblazer, Lucifer, Sandman (everything), and Swamp Thing started at Moore's reboot, and Books of Magic. Spectre is great as well for what you need.

This list should help somewhat (shit list tbh). Just pick out the supernatural ones though. JSA is pretty heavily focused on what you're looking for.

https://www.comicbookherald.com/dc-...-reading-order/

Add in Zatanna and Deadman if you like. Shazam as well. Nu-DC Constantine and any of his appearances are good.

Again, comicbook db is good for this, for example:
http://comicbookdb.com/search.php?f...chtype=FullSite
thumb up

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 01:42 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by One Big Mob
The first full story (not single comics) I can remember reading was Infinite Crisis. Decent event to kick things off.
I'm fairly sure that was my first full story as well.

I'm more or less in the same boat as Eon Blue, and have been working myself to expand my own comic knowledge. I've probably read more comics in the past year than I had in the five years before that, partly with the help of suggestions from a few posters (Rage of Olympus, abhilegend, Galan007, Damborgson, Enzeru, probably some others I forgot), because the sheer quantity of material out there makes it hard for a relative newcomer to know where to start.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 02:22 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathslash
Pyromaniacal Humanitarian

You should start out with a character/concept that you like and just read up on them. The first comic that I remeber reading was Death of Superman. My mom had bought the issues for my older siblings to enjoy and when I was five or six, she gave me the issues and let me read them. It's what got me interested in Superman.

The first series I stated collecting was Static. I watched the show and started collecting the issues when I was ten.

As far as becoming more knowledgeable, just stick around on this site for a couple of years and ask questions about whatever you don't know about. You're bound to pick something up as the years go by.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 02:30 AM
deathslash is currently offline Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

Comics were 20 cents when I started buying them. Yeah, I'm old.

By Stoic

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 03:57 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

I actually just start with pretty pictures. If I like the art, I pick it up and read.

That and writers. If Grant Morrison wrote Marvel, I'd pick it up. If he wrote DC, I'd pick it up as well, for example.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 04:40 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I'd just PM carver directly with this question, tbh. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 04:42 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
I'd just PM carver directly with this question, tbh. thumb up

Something tells me that won’t yield a significant surplus of information.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 04:32 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

laughing out loud

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 02:25 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by Eon Blue
Something tells me that won’t yield a significant surplus of information.
That's a very plausible hypothesis of the possible outcome.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 03:34 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote