KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » DC Comics TV shows have bad costume design

DC Comics TV shows have bad costume design
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

DC Comics TV shows have bad costume design

Am I right?

Watching again some action from Arrow, I got reminded how sh***y the costume design for the heroes is, on virtually all the shows (non-superhero shows like Lucifer are the exception, but instead is coated with Jerry Bruckheimer's usual all-glossy-surface-no-depth production.)

Oliver Queen is a possible exception; he's got greater detail on his outfit and isn't trying to be a walking comic book. But I can't stand to look at TV Superman's outfit (that cape just bugs me), and virtually all the rest on Arrow, Legends Of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and anyone who cameos on Powerless. And this has been going on since the days of Smallville (look back at those costumes and try not to wince at the cheesiness.)

But it's TV, they don't have the movie budget you say (And I think the costume design for DC movies is just fine, BTW.) But contrast them with the Marvel shows. The more real approach at Marvel is much better, and if it's not important that a character has a costume, Marvel gets around it.

It's like the DC TV universe is trying to be a live action cartoon - like Bruce Timm's shared universe brought to life - rather than just being live action.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2017 10:59 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

DC shows are inferior across the board to Marvel's.

Also if you want a laugh look at Supergirls bargain bin costume of Cyborg Superman and Arrows Deadshot. They look like ****ing shit

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 12:08 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

I want to start watching all the CW DC shows but I always get the feeling it will be the usual teen drama CW show with super heroes.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 12:51 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

The costume for Deathstroke (Arrow S2) was pretty spot on, and Katana in Arrow S3 looked very much like the one in the Suicide Squad film to a T. Those are about the only exceptional examples I can think of though for the CWverse. Mostly everything else is cheap leather in some form, but if the episodes of said shows are otherwise enjoyable, it doesn't usually take away from the experience for me that much.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 01:52 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

You don't like cheap leather costumes?! What's wrong with you people?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 02:05 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I think the worst has to be every live action version of Hawkman. The actor always looks ridiculous.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 02:22 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

We'll have to agree to disagree:

(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 02:31 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
[B]Am I right?

No.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 06:39 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

If you want to see absolutely awful comic costumes, look at the 1997 Justice League failed pilot.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 08:03 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by carthage
DC shows are inferior across the board to Marvel's.

Also if you want a laugh look at Supergirls bargain bin costume of Cyborg Superman and Arrows Deadshot. They look like ****ing shit

when I saw what Red Tornado looked like on Supergirl, all I could think was how much he looked like s***.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 12:18 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Both can be bad. Yeah, I'm looking RIGHT AT YOU Luke Cages brother wearing ridiculous looking power armor.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 12:49 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

To be fair, that costume was inspired by a 70s Diamondback look.

However, the writers had enough sense to realise Luke's 70s costume did not translate well, so no idea why they went forward with this one.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 01:06 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by roughrider
when I saw what Red Tornado looked like on Supergirl, all I could think was how much he looked like s***.

Kinda. Parasite in the show looked cool though imo, although different.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 01:40 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

cyborg superman, vibe, mr. terrific all sh!te

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 04:43 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

To be fair, it wasn't even Cyborg Superman; it was Cyborg Henshaw.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 08:41 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
To be fair, that costume was inspired by a 70s Diamondback look.

However, the writers had enough sense to realise Luke's 70s costume did not translate well, so no idea why they went forward with this one.

I just choose to believe whoever made the armor personally hated Diamondback and thus chose to make him wear that.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2017 08:49 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Surtur
I just choose to believe whoever made the armor personally hated Diamondback and thus chose to make him wear that.

It was Hammertech, which is the opposite of Starktech in that it looks...not cool.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2017 04:31 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Bump!

... Yeah, I'll take CW's leather over this shit, and these Titans are part of the DCEU? lol

Old Post Jul 29th, 2018 03:32 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Arachnid1
We'll have to agree to disagree:

thumb up

Flash has done quite well with costumes.

End of though, have to remember these are cheap budget shows.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2018 07:58 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

****ing Deathstroke. Enough said.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2018 09:11 PM