KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Cursed Child Question

Cursed Child Question
Started by: juggerman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
juggerman

Cursed Child Question

In the new book Albus and Scorpius are able to change events in the past with the time turner. My question is did the rules of the time turner change?

When Hermione and Harry used it in PoA we see that they can't exactly change events but only cause them to happen the way they've always happened. Examples of this are when they distract Lupin and when Harry saves himself from the Dementors.

So why could the kids change things the way they did?

An argument could be made that they really didn't change anything since everything was returned to normal at the end. That means Harry was always present when his parents were killed and that Cedric always saved the boys in the Triwizard Tournament. It's an interesting concept imo.

Anyway I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on this. Can the time turners actually change the past? Or will can they only ensure things happen a specific way?

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Sep 15th, 2016 04:28 AM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

First off, aren't these people psychopaths for the fact they gave a 13 yr. old girl a time machine in order to take an extra class?

Anyways, as to your question I have not seen the play or read the book based on the play but I have looked up some spoilers and I do believe the specific time turner they use in this story is somehow different compared to the other one used by Harry.

Time turners CAN change the past. Remember: Buckbeak died. That happened. But then they went back and changed it so he didn't die. I will admit to you they did try to set it up so it seemed nothing was TRULY changed, but then it would mean Dumbledore knew Buckbeak didn't actually get executed and then kind of just..allowed the kids to go on believing he was dead anyways? It would also mean Hagrid didn't feel the need to say "well yeah Buckbeak somehow escaped".

Basically to answer your question: a wizard did it.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2016 12:31 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Re: Cursed Child Question

quote: (post)
Originally posted by juggerman
In the new book Albus and Scorpius are able to change events in the past with the time turner. My question is did the rules of the time turner change?

When Hermione and Harry used it in PoA we see that they can't exactly change events but only cause them to happen the way they've always happened. Examples of this are when they distract Lupin and when Harry saves himself from the Dementors.

So why could the kids change things the way they did?

An argument could be made that they really didn't change anything since everything was returned to normal at the end. That means Harry was always present when his parents were killed and that Cedric always saved the boys in the Triwizard Tournament. It's an interesting concept imo.

Anyway I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on this. Can the time turners actually change the past? Or will can they only ensure things happen a specific way?

You're right, they did. The Cursed Child is just an abomination that's best ignored.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2016 12:58 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Originally posted by Surtur
First off, aren't these people psychopaths for the fact they gave a 13 yr. old girl a time machine in order to take an extra class?

Anyways, as to your question I have not seen the play or read the book based on the play but I have looked up some spoilers and I do believe the specific time turner they use in this story is somehow different compared to the other one used by Harry.

Time turners CAN change the past. Remember: Buckbeak died. That happened. But then they went back and changed it so he didn't die. I will admit to you they did try to set it up so it seemed nothing was TRULY changed, but then it would mean Dumbledore knew Buckbeak didn't actually get executed and then kind of just..allowed the kids to go on believing he was dead anyways? It would also mean Hagrid didn't feel the need to say "well yeah Buckbeak somehow escaped".

Basically to answer your question: a wizard did it.

I actually don't remember how she got the Turner but yeah it's crazy she had one. Though out of everyone in the series she would be the most trustworthy

I don't think Buckbeak ever died. Remember that Harry got hit with the rock in Hagrid's cabin originally and we later see Hermione was the one that hit him. Then we see her distract Lupin and Harry save himself from Dementors. All that stayed exactly the same, we just saw it from different perspectives. So we would have to assume Buckbeak was the same. Also we never saw him die. We just saw the ax come down and assume it was killed. Later we see it came down on a pumpkin or something

I suggest you give it a read. It's not as good as the others but it has some very interesting concepts

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2016 06:00 AM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hicere

Hi there, nice thought. Yes, in that scene when both of them use the time turner, all the things were the same when they came back. That means they are only responsible for saving themselves. I like the concept.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2016 09:05 AM
Hicere is currently offline Click here to Send Hicere a Private Message Find more posts by Hicere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
surajvines
Restricted

Account Restricted

The time turner scene was horriyfying anyways treat to watch the film

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 08:58 AM
surajvines is currently offline Click here to Send surajvines a Private Message Find more posts by surajvines Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by juggerman
I actually don't remember how she got the Turner but yeah it's crazy she had one. Though out of everyone in the series she would be the most trustworthy

I don't think Buckbeak ever died. Remember that Harry got hit with the rock in Hagrid's cabin originally and we later see Hermione was the one that hit him. Then we see her distract Lupin and Harry save himself from Dementors. All that stayed exactly the same, we just saw it from different perspectives. So we would have to assume Buckbeak was the same. Also we never saw him die. We just saw the ax come down and assume it was killed. Later we see it came down on a pumpkin or something

I suggest you give it a read. It's not as good as the others but it has some very interesting concepts

I have read all 7 books multiple times. If Buckbeak didn't die I can't figure out why literally nobody brought it up before they traveled back in time. There is no way word wouldn't have spread about it and I find it hard to believe Hagrid would not say anything to them.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2017 04:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
changeorg

The Curse Child to me is fanfiction. It will never be canon!!!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 02:21 PM
changeorg is currently offline Click here to Send changeorg a Private Message Find more posts by changeorg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
heartfire

It's cringey fanfiction. Voldemort suddenly having a daughter? That's something from My Immortal, a notoriously bad fanfiction.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2018 09:54 AM
heartfire is currently offline Click here to Send heartfire a Private Message Find more posts by heartfire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote