KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Lucifer

Lucifer
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Lucifer

Lucifer is based on an idea by Neil Gaiman. Tired of being Hell's warden, Lucifer decides to go on a vacation and ends up in L.A. (of course). Most critics seem to have hated the pilot but I loved it. Tom Ellis has a blast as Lucifer and (just like Lucifer) I am tired of everything being gritty, grim, dark and depressing. What's wrong with just having a bit of fun?

Attachment: unnamed (11).png
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2016 10:42 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

It looks ****ing awful. Lucifer Morningstar doesn't need to be dark, depressing and gritty, but this just looks stupid, and basically not related to the source material, which I hold in high esteem. Not sure why it needs to associate itself with it.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2016 11:51 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
It looks ****ing awful. Lucifer Morningstar doesn't need to be dark, depressing and gritty, but this just looks stupid, and basically not related to the source material, which I hold in high esteem. Not sure why it needs to associate itself with it.

So you haven't seen it yet?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2016 12:03 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Dreampanther
So you haven't seen it yet?

Yeah, just the promos.

Isn't there only one episode out yet?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2016 01:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If you're a fan of Carey's characterization of Lucifer from the comics, the pilot was terrible.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2016 02:58 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
janus77
Banana Genius

Very funny and watchable. Not quite what I would have envisioned (something more adult and character driven), but the lead is charming (if borderline camp) and the music is fine.

This show has a sort of Hank Moody/Californication vibe, but without the adult content. Could be really brilliant, could just be good.

Are you a Glinting Bastard?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2016 07:39 PM
janus77 is currently offline Click here to Send janus77 a Private Message Find more posts by janus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I didn't find the pilot too bad. I guess I just don't have that many expectations considering I am not too familiar with the comic it's based on. As for the Californication similarities... that is probably because Tom Kapinos wrote the first episode.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 02:11 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

decent ep last night

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 03:14 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I have found that 99% of the complaints revolve around one fact: The show is not the same as the comic books. But what confuses me about this complaint is that the makers of the show made it clear from the beginning that they never intended the show to be like the comic book series.

Yes, they took the character and the premise from the original comic book but they never hid the fact that the series would go in a different direction. Make no mistake, I am a big Neil Gaiman fan, but I do feel these complaints to be somewhat unfair.

Personally, I just loved the show for exactly what it was: A tongue-in-the-cheek, fresh reinterpretation of the classic buddy-cop premise, not to be taken seriously.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:53 AM
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

I have found that 99% of the complaints revolve around one fact: The show is not the same as the comic books. But what confuses me about this complaint is that the makers of the show made it clear from the beginning that they never intended the show to be like the comic book series.

Yes, they took the character and the premise from the original comic book but they never hid the fact that the series would go in a different direction. Make no mistake, I am a big Neil Gaiman fan, but I do feel these complaints to be somewhat unfair.

Personally, I just loved the show for exactly what it was: A tongue-in-the-cheek, fresh reinterpretation of the classic buddy-cop premise, not to be taken seriously.
Its a little different when the concept barely resembles the source material at all. Why even bother mentioning the vertigo series? Theres going in a different direction and theres whatever this is.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Jan 28th, 2016 10:45 AM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by HueyFreeman
Its a little different when the concept barely resembles the source material at all. Why even bother mentioning the vertigo series? Theres going in a different direction and theres whatever this is.

Not exactly sure where you are heading with this post? confused I think most of these points were already addressed.

Again, if your complaint is mostly that the tv series does not resemble the comic books (apart from the original concept, that Lucifer has left Hell and is now chilling on Earth) then you are not, in fact, reviewing the show at all. You are reviewing a show that does not exist and never did exist.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2016 03:33 PM
cdtm

I don't mind making it into CSI: Lucifer. Movies and shows differ from the source material all the time, this is just an extreme example of that..

MY problem is with the typical TV bashing on religion, and the way they portray "Evil.is good, good is evil."

Like the preacher in Walking Dead being ramped up from moral hypocrite in the comics, to bumbling foolish butt monkey. I'm hardly a religious guy, and don't have any problems with relgion being criticised in general, but this stuff stands out to me.

In the comics, the conflict between Lucifer and the Angels was that the angels supported an orderly design from their god. While Lucifer was an anarchist who wanted to live as he wished.

But they were BOTH assholes. People suffered and died all the time because of their actions/inactions.

But in the show, Lucifer comes across like a decent guy, while the angels are STILL assholes. And the angel even criticises Lucifer for being too merciful? That a balance needs to be maintained?

So, where's the angel detective, then? What angels are actually saving lives? Because all the angel we saw did was complain about Lucifer helping people, but we never see him helping anyone. So how is Lucifer destroying a balance by being a nice guy? Arguments of "balance" imply someone else has the job of being a good guy, but it doesn't look like the angels are too nice...

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Jan 30th, 2016 at 04:24 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 04:13 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
babydee

I agree. No the show is not like the comics, but, as stated, it was never intended to.

The show is pretty funny, it's not my favorite show, but I do enjoy it. It's funny, witty and doesn't drag on and on.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2016 09:27 PM
babydee is currently offline Click here to Send babydee a Private Message Find more posts by babydee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

does anyone know if this is returning?

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 29th, 2016 10:22 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

No news yet, as far as I know. I have been keeping up with this for the most part. One thing I can say is that anyone who was afraid of Lucifer being portrayed as an innocent good guy don't have to worry. He's still a complete and utter selfish a$$hole, who only ever does anything "good" if he feels it can somehow further his personal agenda. It's actually quite staggering how self-absorbed he is. At least that's how he has come across to me so far.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2016 02:12 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I've been a fan of Lindsey Gort since Impastor. Looks like I'm not the only one.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 2nd, 2017 07:39 AM
PaleMysts

I've seen every episode and while I think it's a bit cheesy, it's still a fun show to watch. Lucifer and that female detective chick have a lot of chemistry so that makes it worth watching too

Old Post May 7th, 2017 10:16 AM
PaleMysts is currently offline Click here to Send PaleMysts a Private Message Find more posts by PaleMysts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Ha. Nice reveal of the Sinnerman in this week's episode.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 12:11 PM
riv6672

^^^that was pretty good, yeah. Cant wait for the explanation behind it.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 01:19 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

THIS SHOW IS THE DEVIL AND SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE AIR!!! mad mad mad

I've been a fan of Lindsey Gort since Impastor. Looks like I'm not the only one.

(please log in to view the image)

I think I'm a fan now, too. thumb up

She looks mad at her ass, though.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 02:33 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote