KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Luke Cage (Netflix)

Luke Cage (Netflix)
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Luke Cage (Netflix)

I don't think he actually has his own thread yet so, given that we finally have a first full length trailer, I thought I'd make one.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2016 02:48 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I wonder who they'll introduce? He's got a few villains in his rogue gallery, including his brother Coldfire.

And hopefully we'll see plenty of Iron Fist, Jones, and maybe Daredevil since Defenders is coming as well.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2016 05:35 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i found the trailer to be somewhat meh, but will still watch

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 11th, 2016 06:35 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i found the trailer to be somewhat meh, but will still watch

For me, the best part happens in the first 8 seconds. laughing

I hope he has more feats like that one, because that feat alone totally shits on anything he visibly did in Jessica Jones, in terms of strength. That feat is almost comparable to Spiderman's car catch in Civil War, though there are some obvious differences. Beyond strength, Spiderman had the speed and dexterity to actually grab hold of the car, whereas Luke simply shoulderchecked it. But at the end of the day, both of them stopped large, speeding vehicles dead in their tracks, and did it seemingly without sustaining any injuries.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 06:30 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by KingD19
I wonder who they'll introduce? He's got a few villains in his rogue gallery, including his brother Coldfire.

And hopefully we'll see plenty of Iron Fist, Jones, and maybe Daredevil since Defenders is coming as well.

Someone punches through a wall at 2:07, and I don't know. Maybe it's just the cloud of cement dust throwing me off, but that fist seems a bit pale to be Luke's.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 09:05 AM
wakkawakkawakka

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

I hope he has more feats like that one, because that feat alone totally shits on anything he visibly did in Jessica Jones, in terms of strength. That feat is almost comparable to Spiderman's car catch in Civil War, though there are some obvious differences. Beyond strength, Spiderman had the speed and dexterity to actually grab hold of the car, whereas Luke simply shoulderchecked it. But at the end of the day, both of them stopped large, speeding vehicles dead in their tracks, and did it seemingly without sustaining any injuries.

Well to be fair Jessica also started out with something impressive feats but ultimately turneed out to be meh. However with this trailer my initial concern that Luke would be too grounded has be dispelled.

Though I have to say Harlem looks pretty good for a city that had a Hulk fight 8 years ago.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 06:33 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

thumb up

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 06:38 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Seems like Daredevil repackaged with a black guy. Same basic plot of a superpowered do-gooder cleaning up a large organised crime syndicate plaguing their poor NYC neighborhood.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Aug 12th, 2016 09:22 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Lestov16
Seems like Daredevil repackaged with a black guy. Same basic plot of a superpowered do-gooder cleaning up a large organised crime syndicate plaguing their poor NYC neighborhood.

That's my main concern with this series. Redundancy. As you mentioned, based on this first trailer, the plot sounds very similar to season 1 of Daredevil. And beyond that, how many times can we watch Luke steamroll through a group of armed thugs before it gets dull? But hopefully they will add in a few more superpowered characters, sideplots etc. to keep it fresh. They did a decent job with both seasons of DD, as well as Jessica Jones, so I am remaining optimistic.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2016 06:00 AM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Well...that's what the original Luke Cage comics were about, and still largely are about. Just like Daredevil was mirroring the comics that had Matt in court by day, and on the rooftops at night as DD. They can't stray too far from the source without it not being Luke Cage anymore.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2016 06:49 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I know, but a lot of people who watch these shows have never actually picked up a comic with these characters in it (especially where JJ is concerned. So many people I know had never even heard of her before the Netflix show). So, while the writers obviously have to try and stay true to the comics as much as possible, they have to keep it rich/fresh enough to entertain a more mainstream audience as well.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2016 07:07 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

So the character we see played by Mahershala Ali seems to be Cottonmouth. He is listed as Cornell Stokes on IMDB, and in other articles.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2016 08:48 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

On Geeking Out they had an interview where they talked about the premise and it seems the main theme will be Luke's reluctance to become a superhero. Kinda makes sense - if you associate superheroes with tights and flashy costumes, flying around battling robots and aliens, then a guy from the streets of Harlem who spent time in prison would find difficulty identifying himself as a superhero.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2016 09:28 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

So this series occurs roughly around the same time as the events of season 2 of Daredevil.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...etflix-timeline

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Aug 24th, 2016 at 09:08 AM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2016 09:05 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I thought the nurse was a love interest for Daredevil. Damn that's cold, chick finds someone with true power and jumps ship.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2016 01:10 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, with Cage there is a hell of a lot less bleeding over her furniture.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2016 01:28 PM
Darth Thor

Jones couldn't keep her hands off him either. I envy the guy.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2016 04:21 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah but Jessica Jones looks like Michael Jackson if you really stare at her face.

I'm talking MJ in his "I really do look white and also like someone ate part of my nose" phase.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2016 09:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ I'm going to wipe what you just said out of my memory.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2016 10:41 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

I was reading this and was meh, till i realized and remembered that Luke and also Jessica should be stronger than Spidey. So with JJ feats on her series being average, it's gonna be real sad if they make Luke look like a bare 1 tonner.

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post Aug 27th, 2016 03:18 AM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote