KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Protecting Children from Older Men in Chat Rooms

Protecting Children from Older Men in Chat Rooms
Started by: Molly Hayes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Protecting Children from Older Men in Chat Rooms

Reposted from elsewhere

Question: Our oldest child is 15 and likes to visit chat rooms. She does this at the local library because our kids cannot log in by themselves at home (our PC is password-protected). It seems she started chatting with a 32-year-old man. About a month later, she received a phone call from him. Our daughter has refused to give us any information on this man. How do I protect her?

Answer: Step one is succeeding at some form of authentic communication with your daughter. If she is withholding information from you about the man on the Internet, she could just as easily withhold information about a face-to-face encounter with someone, or about any of a hundred things. Your challenge here is not the bogeyman on the Internet -- it's the failed communication with your daughter. That's where I'd put my attention, maybe even seeking help outside the family (e.g., family counselor).

I also propose to you that by this age, there is no information about men and the world that your daughter needs to be protected from. Information is now her armor. I'd suggest you and your daughter might benefit from reading How to Get Through to Teenage Girls,'' from my book Protecting the Gift.

Thoughts?

I'm young and female, but tough, I love coffee

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:23 PM
Molly Hayes is currently offline Click here to Send Molly Hayes a Private Message Find more posts by Molly Hayes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dude, come on. Give it up.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:24 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drewforever

15 is not really a child, when i was 15 i was on them, i felt old enough to be, 16 is the age limit on a lot, which is only one year ahead, which is definitely not a child.
Depends on how the person is, how sensible they are, a lot of 15 year olds can be like adults when being on the internet. I would say a child was 12 and under, a proper child. I understand what you mean though, but a proper child is different to a 15 year old, in their restrictions. I was seen as differently to a child at age 15.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:26 PM
drewforever is currently offline Click here to Send drewforever a Private Message Find more posts by drewforever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by soin2cal
15 is not really a child, when i was 15 i was on them, i fewlt old enough to be, 16 is the age limit on a lot, which is only one year ahead, which is definitely not a child.
Depends on how the person is, how sensible they are, a lot of 15 year olds can be like adults when being on the internet. I would say a child was 12 and under, a proper child.

I'm almost 17 but I avoid talking to much older guys on the web, I just put them on ignore. It just feels wrong, I wouldn't do it in real life it's kind of icky to do it here.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:28 PM
Molly Hayes is currently offline Click here to Send Molly Hayes a Private Message Find more posts by Molly Hayes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drewforever

Yes, i will not talk to older guys either. No matter whether you are 19-15 or what, which are very similar anyway, i think everyone has to be so careful. In my own opinion.
I have seen television programs on older than myself, and also younger, where people were wanted for sex etc, at about 18. And they were talking to 50 yr old menmessed

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:30 PM
drewforever is currently offline Click here to Send drewforever a Private Message Find more posts by drewforever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, i will not talk to older guys either. No matter whether you are 19-15 or what, which are very similar anyway, i think everyone has to be so careful. In my own opinion.
I have seen television programs on older than myself, and also younger, where people were wanted for sex etc, at about 18. And they were talking to 50 yr old menmessed

I agree.

A lot of really young kids are on here, talking to adults abot adult themed things.

Originally posted by Ichigo66666
Thanks Entity, I appreciate it.

Yeah, I'm only 13. I was 12 when I joined. But the mods don't need to know. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:31 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

I talk to people of all ages. I feel down inside that people are just people and one has to have some smarts on what they do or not do......simple.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:31 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drewforever

I think in general, that people should get along with any ages, i love mixing with all ages, i often look upto them too. I have a lot older friends that what i am, though as long as it isnt some weirdo, i do not care. But like you say, you cannot prove that the man is decent by talking to him on the internet. Shamly. That is why me and my friends usually have webcam conversationslaughing out loud
Oh well, i am sure you act olderstick out tongue

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:33 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

And they were talking to 50 yr old menmessed

psst...you're doing that right now. Your friend Molly is a 45 year old dude.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:33 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardiel13
Elite Cannon Fodder

Oh, so only men are internet creeps?! I think I take offense! I will not tolerate such stereotyping! mad

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:34 PM
Bardiel13 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardiel13 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardiel13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
psst...you're doing that right now. Your friend Molly is a 45 year old dude.
laughing out loud

debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drewforever

she is a woman thoughmessed It is rarely women that are the weirdos. And Molly is 16.

Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Having seen what that Capt Fantastic who is on my ignore list because he thinks I am someone else said in Debbies quote, I am not a 45 year old male. What a weird thing to say. Anyway I look forward to reading peoples thoughts when i'm online again.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:37 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Molly Hayes
What a weird thing to say.

Weird? Weird is a 45 year old man coming onto an internet forum pretending to be a 17 year old girl.

Don't worry about responding. I can wait until someone comes along a quotes me.

Last edited by Devil King on Jan 7th, 2007 at 05:44 PM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:42 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Another thread that can be sumed up by:
(please log in to view the image)

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

It's the parent's job to protect thier kids against possible internet predators, that much I agree with.

But to b*tch and moan about how you don't want to talk to older men is pointless Molly...no one gives a sh*t

If you don't want to talk to older men, then don't talk to them...that simple. Stop whining about it on KMC, we don't need to hear it.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:45 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drewforever

A she, not a hemessed

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:46 PM
finti

quote:
originally posted by Capt. Fantastic
Weird? Weird is a 45 year old man coming onto an internet forum pretending to be a 17 year old girl.
laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:48 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

There's medication for that........

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:49 PM
drewforever

This is confusing. I am sure that he said she was a 45 yr old femalemessed

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 05:49 PM