KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » The problem with Baki the Grappler

The problem with Baki the Grappler
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

The problem with Baki the Grappler

Keisuke Itagaki tries so hard to subvert shonen tropes, that's he's effectively painted himself into a corner.

Baki essentially threw its nose up at concepts like "honor", or "worthy adversaries", or the worth of effort. A guy loses a fight, and he could simply refuse to accept it and jump the guy who beat him. And THAT loss can be ignored and result in even more fighting.

The Prisoner arc was known for this. The problem with this philosophy, is you start questioning why even bother keeping the pretext of martial arts? If you follow the logic of winning at any cost and never losing if you refuse to accept it to its logical conclusion, then where do you draw the line?

Keisuke Itagaki himself doesn't seem to know. On one hand Baki will be scolded for refusing to accept a defeat in the ring, after his opponent refused to accept a loss and jumped him. Or Baki will be shame for a "defeat" by sneak attack. And yet Doppo and Shibukawa flat out refuse to accept a loss to Ali Jr. They don't merely avenge their losses, they claim they never counted.

This kind of thing keeps you from really being invested, because there are no real stakes. Why should I care about who wins or loses, or define what a win or loss even is. when the story itself doesn't?

Heck, why do these people even ban guns? Would they even enforce the rule if someone broke it, or would they bs rationalize a one time exception?

And then there's Yujiro. The strongest martial artist who somehow has zero discipline (How did he even get so strong? Who was his master?), zero code of conduct, and practically seems a nihilist. He stands for absolutely nothing, has no real ambition, and exists to tear down the latest final boss. Baki will never, ever surpass him, nor will anyone in the series.

Which makes him the dullest, most pointless badass ever. No growth, no arc, no real point to the character.

I used to love Baki, the early arcs were great, but it's become formulaic and predictable and stale. Ironically, given Itagaki's efforts at breaking new ground.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2021 05:28 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

The Netflix anime isn't bad. Not quite as good as the manga, but pretty solid.

Biscuit Oliva voice acting is spot on, exactly how I imagined him.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2021 02:23 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

This is a good point. I think Baki is just such a unique beast that it's almost a wasted effort to look for the kinds of things you might search for in other stories.

Which sounds like a cop-out and just means Baki is above criticism, I assure you I don't feel that way, no media is above that scrutiny.

The problem is that Baki is so fun and weird that we want it to be elevated (at least I do) but sometimes it's just about a guy trying to prove himself against a dinosaur.

I haven't read anywhere near all of it (and only seen a handful of the netflix series) but my own enjoyment I get just comes from saying "This guys pride vs this guys I hope the one I like wins."

It sometimes feels hollow.

I do however feel that the serialized chapters of Kengan Ashura fill that narrative hole for me. Have you tried it?

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Oct 26th, 2021 03:42 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote