KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The UK returns to the 19th Century!

The UK returns to the 19th Century!
Started by: Old Man Whirly!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The UK returns to the 19th Century!

Our glorious heritage.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ndroidApp_Other
uncomfortable silence fills the hall of St Bride’s church in Liverpool. In a few minutes, its doors will open to some of the city’s hungriest families. Between 250 and 300 people are expected at its latest weekly food bank, although it could be more. But there is little to offer them: only 150 parcels of food and a small pile of unwanted clothes.

For the first time in years, the volunteers have to turn people away. They look aghast. “That will last half an hour at best. What do we do then?” asks Julian Sowden, one of the longest-serving volunteers. “There’s nothing else to give them. We just stop? We just shut the door?”

The answer – “yes” – is met with silence. School holidays are approaching.

Thank you David, Theresa and Boris... Thank you Nigel and Brexiteers. Thank you so much... "I mean it man" - The Sex Pistols.

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Jul 23rd, 2022 at 10:51 PM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2022 10:46 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-6kUyvIHGI Times were different two years ago...

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2022 11:30 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

I do what I can. Usually it will be an extra protein source (tinned fish, a can of corned beef, a pack of legumes).

I know people have been giving more at the collection point for the food bank supported by the local german grocery store.

It's good that you've put this up. As people will see it who may have missed it.

The government should subsidize some food products.

Such as Dried pulses, Plain Milk and Cheese like they do in some countries with food assistance programmes.

It supports farmers and especially in the UK where the Milk Snatchers (Tories) stopped the provision of free milk to school age children would greatly help eliminate iodine deficiency.

Worrying levels of iodine deficiency in the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13034582

Iodine deficiency: Britains hidden nutrition crisis
https://www.independentnurse.co.uk/...-crisis/174833/

Some thing else the government could also subsidize in autumn and winter is vitamin D3 supplements.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitam...rals/vitamin-d/

During the autumn and winter, you need to get vitamin D from your diet because the sun is not strong enough for the body to make vitamin D.

But since it's difficult for people to get enough vitamin D from food alone, everyone (including pregnant and breastfeeding women) should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D during the autumn and winter.

You just can't function well if you don't eat right.

They could subsidize these things indirectly by giving tax cuts to the people who produce some of these essential products instead of giving tax cuts to companies in the City of London which already pay the lowest taxes in Europe.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2022 11:53 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by shiv
I do what I can. Usually it will be an extra protein source (tinned fish, a can of corned beef, a pack of legumes).

I know people have been giving more at the collection point for the food bank supported by the local german grocery store.

It's good that you've put this up. As people will see it who may have missed it.

The government should subsidize some food products.

Such as Dried pulses, Plain Milk and Cheese like they do in some countries with food assistance programmes.

It supports farmers and especially in the UK where the Milk Snatchers (Tories) stopped the provision of free milk to school age children would greatly help eliminate iodine deficiency.

Worrying levels of iodine deficiency in the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13034582

Iodine deficiency: Britains hidden nutrition crisis
https://www.independentnurse.co.uk/...-crisis/174833/

Some thing else the government could also subsidize in autumn and winter is vitamin D3 supplements.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitam...rals/vitamin-d/

During the autumn and winter, you need to get vitamin D from your diet because the sun is not strong enough for the body to make vitamin D.

But since it's difficult for people to get enough vitamin D from food alone, everyone (including pregnant and breastfeeding women) should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D during the autumn and winter.

You just can't function well if you don't eat right.

They could subsidize these things indirectly by giving tax cuts to the people who produce some of these essential products instead of giving tax cuts to companies in the City of London which already pay the lowest taxes in Europe.
thumb up Agreed 100%, HOW OLD ARE YOU MATE? I remember Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher but I doubt the other brits here will.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 08:34 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
thumb up Agreed 100%, HOW OLD ARE YOU MATE? I remember Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher but I doubt the other brits here will.
A phrase my mum used because we couldn't get free milk in primary school.

More specifically, her colleagues.

Even more specifically, before I was born, as I was born in the 90s...

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 09:15 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

I got free milk in P1 & P2 then it got stopped because of her.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 09:44 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

80s. That was before my time.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 10:02 AM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by shiv
80s. That was before my time.
Ahh, thumb up

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 11:12 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: The UK returns to the 19th Century!

Our glorious heritage.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ndroidApp_Other
uncomfortable silence fills the hall of St Bride’s church in Liverpool. In a few minutes, its doors will open to some of the city’s hungriest families. Between 250 and 300 people are expected at its latest weekly food bank, although it could be more. But there is little to offer them: only 150 parcels of food and a small pile of unwanted clothes.

For the first time in years, the volunteers have to turn people away. They look aghast. “That will last half an hour at best. What do we do then?” asks Julian Sowden, one of the longest-serving volunteers. “There’s nothing else to give them. We just stop? We just shut the door?”

The answer – “yes” – is met with silence. School holidays are approaching.

Thank you David, Theresa and Boris... Thank you Nigel and Brexiteers. Thank you so much... "I mean it man" - The Sex Pistols.

But I thought Labour was the problem...

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 04:01 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
I got free milk in P1 & P2 then it got stopped because of her.

You literally got your milk taken away by the Tories smile

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 04:02 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Milk was provided by the government for school children, then the policy got stopped. Hence the term "milk snatcher".

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 04:13 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Blakemore
Milk was provided by the government for school children, then the policy got stopped. Hence the term "milk snatcher".

Yes, I am aware.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 04:25 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 04:47 PM
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Enough to eat? The nutrition film (1936)

21 Minutes and 3 Seconds

This film deals with malnutrition in Britain.

It focuses on the relationship between income and nutrition and suggests that government schemes can improve the current situation.

It shows that people on low incomes are likely to be consuming insufficient nutrients, for instance, not enough calcium or iron and, as a result, are prone to diseases such as rickets and anaemia.

This video was made from material preserved by the BFI National Archive.

The video was funded by The British Government through the British Gas Corporation also known as The Gas Company also known as The Gas Light & Coke Company... The First Public Utility Company in the World.

Through the profits of the Government Run Energy Company The Government was able to support The British Radio, Television and Film Industry.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2022 06:56 PM