KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Luke's green saber??

Luke's green saber??
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Luke's green saber??

Was it ever mentioned why Luke designed his lightsaber to look almost identical to Obi-Wan's? And my bigger question is if it has ever been said where he got the green kyber crystal for it?

Old Post Feb 13th, 2020 02:24 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

From Kenobi's hut.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2020 03:33 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote:
And yet Luke seemed to know exactly what he needed to know. Reaching out with his mind, he found the right pieces--some easily purchased, some much harder to acquire.

After leaving Obi-Wan's hut, he knew he had at last collected everything he needed. While our other heroes bustled about preparing for the rescue, Luke retreated into the solitude of a desert cave and puzzled over the pieces... In the end it took not just physical tools but also the Force to put it all together and bring the crystal inside to life.

As for where his green crystal came from: in Legends it was synthetic -- he created it himself.

No answer has been given in canon, however. Luke may have found it himself on some remote world, or he may have found Qui-Gon's saber in Kenobi's hut and harvested its crystal.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 13th, 2020 06:29 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

In Legends it was synthetic?

Wow, didn't know that.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2020 06:25 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
As for where his green crystal came from: in Legends it was synthetic -- he created it himself.

No answer has been given in canon, however. Luke may have found it himself on some remote world, or he may have found Qui-Gon's saber in Kenobi's hut and harvested its crystal.
If it was Qui-Gon's crystal, that would be pretty sick.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 01:22 AM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The real reason was because the filmmakers couldn't make a blue blade stand out against the sky during the fight on Jabba's barge.

I assume the in-universe reason was the exact same.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 02:32 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Jmanghan
If it was Qui-Gon's crystal, that would be pretty sick.
I think it would be awesome if that ended up being the case. thumb up

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 07:54 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
I think it would be awesome if that ended up being the case. thumb up

Probably not, according to the wiki, Obi-Wan retired it within the Jedi Temple. Which Luke has no way of getting to.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 09:57 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Really?

Well that's stupid. sad

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 01:31 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Nahh that's fine. Qui-Gon sucked.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 05:40 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Probably not, according to the wiki, Obi-Wan retired it within the Jedi Temple. Which Luke has no way of getting to.
Is that canon or legends?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 12:17 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Is that canon or legends?

Canon. Though probably the same for Legends too.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 01:37 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Nahh that's fine. Qui-Gon sucked.
He and Maul were the best part of Episode 1, **** Padawan Kenobi.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 02:12 PM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Not sure what the process is for 'retiring' a fallen Jedi's lightsaber, but assuming it was just placed in the vaults, then I could definitely see Kenobi grabbing it when he and Yoda went on their mission back to the Temple following Order 66. I can't imagine him just leaving it there for the Sith to potentially take as a trophy, and/or destroy.

I mean, even Yoda kept mementos from Qui-Gon after the events of RotS. His blanket was made from Qui-Gon's Jedi robes, for example... So it would certainly make sense for Kenobi to take something as important as his old master's saber.

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 16th, 2020 at 02:37 PM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 02:17 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Yodas blanket was Qui-gon's robe? When in the hell did that happen?? confused

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 03:59 PM
Dominis

Lol

Weird ass.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 04:39 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Yodas blanket was Qui-gon's robe? When in the hell did that happen?? confused
quote:
And the blanket on Yoda's bed, made from his old friend's cloak. How long had it been since Qui-Gon Jinn had become one with the Force? He went back inside and felt the hem. Sometimes, one strong in the Force might leave a hint of himself in what he had owned, but now, so many years had gone by. If Yoda had felt the hint once, he felt it no longer.

-From A Certain Point of View

Old Post Feb 16th, 2020 04:55 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Jmanghan
He was emotionless, lifeless, stupid, and pointless. And Maul was the best part of Episode 1, **** Padawan Kenobi.
Oh f*ck, I agree.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 05:28 AM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Looks like we might get a canon answer for Luke's green saber in issue 35.

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 5th, 2023 01:53 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Interesting. I suppose purifying a kyber that has already been bled would be a good lesson for Luke... Though I'd still prefer if he just recycled Qui-Gon's kyber for his RotJ saber. /shrug

Old Post Jun 5th, 2023 06:58 PM