KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » The LETHIFOLD

The LETHIFOLD
Started by: Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

The LETHIFOLD

In re-reading all the HP books in preparation for HBP I came across an entry in 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them' I had seen after I read OotP the first time but then forgotten about. In the British edition, it is on p. 25 of 'Fantastic Beasts'

LETHIFOLD (Also known as Living Shroud):
The Lethifold is a mercifully rare creature found solely in tropical climates. It resembles a black cloak perhaps half an inch thick (thicker if it has recently killed and digested a victim) which glides along the ground at night.
...the Patronus is the only spell known to repel a Lethifold... Once its prey has been successfully suffocated, it then digests its food there and then... leaving no trace of ... its victim behind.

((the dots are because I have omitted bits of the text that were really long/unecessary))

I think that this is far too big a coincidence for JK - surely that entry is there as a hint of what killed Sirius!

What does everyone elase think?

Old Post May 30th, 2005 03:46 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

I think you're losing me. confused

Didn't Sirius fall through the mirror... thing.. can't remember exactly what it is..embarrasment

Old Post May 30th, 2005 06:16 PM
Tassie is currently offline Click here to Send Tassie a Private Message Find more posts by Tassie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bamboopanda
The Forsaken

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tassie
I think you're losing me. confused

Didn't Sirius fall through the mirror... thing.. can't remember exactly what it is..embarrasment

curtian....maybe.....

Happy Halloween

Old Post May 30th, 2005 08:02 PM
bamboopanda is currently offline Click here to Send bamboopanda a Private Message Find more posts by bamboopanda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Phoenix, I think you're wrong on this one.

A lethifold glides along the ground. Not hanging. And it doesn't have to draw its victims in like a siren does, it attacks sleeping people. The guy in the short story was lucky enough to wake up, grab his wand.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post May 30th, 2005 10:33 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Duplicate thread.

Anyway I doubt it. I had wondered if dementors were derived from the lethifolds but that would seem implausible since JKR said that the former grow like fungus where there is decay. The veil on the other hand was symbolic of the veil between life and death.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 02:15 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote