KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME- Upcoming rules additions

USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME- Upcoming rules additions
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME- Upcoming rules additions

Time is being my worst enemy right now as far as updating the LOTR rules is concerned, so I am leaving off the presenational update for when the new additions come into play after the Baranar fight is done. There is only one major change coming, though some smaller tweaks will be introduced.

One such tweak is the introduction of Secondary skills, a whole host of minor skills not covered by the main ones, which are very cheap to get- they include foraging, leadership, social skills, and so forth. They were left out at first to avoid complication, but now people have the basics hammered down, this small change should be easily absorbed.

Of course, I hope to updtae the rules thread out of any mistakes I spot in there, and bring it back to the fore of the RP area.

The biggest change will be the final rules for Mages and Animists- Animists may well be renamed, btw. The new Magic system, based on the one given in the base rules but tweaked for playability and appropriateness, will give such players the opportunity to definitively decide upon and advance in their powers. Here are some of the changes involved:

Mages and Animists will get a +12 per level in Stamina. Whilst slightly unsatisfactory that this puts them on a par with Rangers, the fact is that as it stands they are just too damn fragile, even at higher levels.

As part of that, the basic skill allocation of Mages and Animists will be altered also, because as it stands I had compensated them for low stamina, and also some changes for the new system will be made. By far, then, the simplest option for all Mages and Animists will be to re-make their characters from scratch. This I apologise for, but it is far less of a nightmare than trying to work out what should change where.

As a result of this I will be giving all players a chance to tweak or re-make their characters if they so wish. This will likely be the final such opportunity. This will coincide with the experience rewards for the entire period from Rivendell onwards, so if anyone goes up a level they can work that in at the same time.

The skill Herbalism, a Secondary skill for anyone who wants to learn it, will be a Primary skill for Animists, who will also receive a profession bonus in it.

Animist spell lists will include Herbalistic healing, Animal Empathy, and some powers of a spiritual nature. Future prediction has been ruled as something players will not have access to. Animists will gain the use of familiars, who will provide considerable bonuses, and at the theoretical top end of the scale they will be able to bring some of their mates- like the Ents- along for battle. That's not actually a point at which I want players to think about getting to, mind! But the bringing of natural allies will also be an Animist function.

Mage spell lists will be similar to the options I presented before- Fire, Ice, Light, Stone etc. A small amount of licence is being used, and Mages will actually have some direct attack spells that perhaps are not 100% in keeping with how Mages work in the books- however, such powers will be limited in use and you certainly won't be acting like most fantasy Wizards. Mages will be most effective when affecting environment- like Gandalf shattering the bridge at Moria with his staff.

Both types will be interested in the use of Power Points, which judge how often they can use their powers. The use of items, like staves, to focus your power will be encouraged. 'Use Item' will be important in this regard. However, Read Runes will likely be abandoned, because it becomes a skill only useful if I decide to introduce its need, because someone has it... rather circular in a gaming sense and so being ignored, certainly as a primary skill. The distinction between Directed Spell Use and Base Spell offence... is not quite finalised yet.

With the amount of players descending to a more manageable level, things should be easier for me to cope with- I did get rather overloaded at first. So, with any luck, once the big fight is done, everyone will have experience with the system, and the system for all players will be finished, and we can push on with confidence!

Please feel free to ask any and all questions.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 25th, 2004 at 03:44 PM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2004 02:42 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

Looks perfect happy

I hope I survive and win enough experience points to gain a level smile

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Jun 25th, 2004 03:24 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

yea I have a question do we have a winning shot at the siege, cause because of all these inactive ppl it aint looking good

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jun 25th, 2004 03:30 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Don't worry- the stories are written for three players or more. All I do is tweak the danger as appropriate for the amount of players. If people don't show it gets tweaked down again.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 25th, 2004 03:46 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

thats a relief.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2004 03:58 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

rrr...r.....redo my character?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2004 05:47 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

well I need to see how much a secondairy skill costs

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jun 26th, 2004 01:16 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

In fact, I think I'll probably have everyone re-do their characters once we are done at Baranar, now people know the system, so we can make sure everyone has what they want before we proceed with the mass murder of the players.

I mean story. Sorry, keep doing that...

BtVS

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 09:28 AM
Dexx
wingless

yeah...afterall..i did give up my animal empathy FOR MONEY...when you forgot i did have some to start with at default stick out tongue..tisk tisk

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 11:43 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Don't tell them all that!!!

(hides)

BtVS

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 05:18 PM
Dexx
wingless

well...ok....i guess we can sort the financial details via PMs stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 08:08 PM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

We started with money?

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 10:58 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Nonononononono...

Well...

Yes.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 11:01 PM