KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Animations / CGI » Final Fantasy : The spirits within

Final Fantasy : The spirits within
Started by: SaTsuJiN

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Final Fantasy : The spirits within

Hey, heh. I just got done watching this great movie and I couldnt help but wonder why it "bombed at the boxoffice". Its really such a wonderful story and true to the Final Fantasy name. So I figured I'd pop up a little FF : TSW dedication/discussion thread in honor of such an underappreciated benchmark in cinematic compilation. big grin

Aki : "The dream is always the same..."

Attachment: i10.jpg
This has been downloaded 182 time(s).

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2003 06:19 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silentfaf
Vengance

due it sucked it. sucked so bad. wasnt even much like the game story wise it just sucked. it would been better if they based it on one of the games like ff6 or ff7 the best 2 games i might add

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2003 10:27 AM
silentfaf is currently offline Click here to Send silentfaf a Private Message Find more posts by silentfaf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

Impressive graphics! But!! A cheasy and shallow storyline. In my opinion.

What is this I don't even

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2003 11:03 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lukeyduckey
Soon u be slagging ME off

Why did it fail at the box office?? well 1. it sucked 2. it really sucked 3. it really really really sucked
It ddint have a good story line.
And i agree that they shoulda done Final fantasy 7, my fav

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2003 01:21 PM
lukeyduckey is currently offline Click here to Send lukeyduckey a Private Message Find more posts by lukeyduckey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Well I think maybe you didnt realise that its the same story layout for all Final Fantasies. Earth in Danger (check) Two people who have feelings for eachother (check) someone named cid (check) bum who wants to screw everything up (check).

Basically what im saying is that ff7 - 10 have all had pretty much the same story layout, just with different characters or situations. The fundamentals remain the same though. Only people who played ff7 first will say its thier fave. Dont consider yourself a FF fan if thats so. FFTSW
had pretty much the same qualities in terms of story and characters.

I felt like if they had been given more fan support they could have created something far better. Since they got shot down I guess you can play rehashes (FFx-2 , FFx-3 , FFx-4 etc.) or you could play the mediocre FFXI which has nothing on korean or american mmorpgs

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2003 06:13 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

spirits within was a good movie, how can you say the story sucked? its better than about 90% of all sci/fi movies, it might not have gone into great detail surrounding it but it still had depth and a twist twords the end, which makes this just like an FF story it had the essence of final fantasy written all over it. they even consulted the writers of the games for ideas. It bombed though because people were turned off by the CGI of the movie.I read a poll in cinescape and producers interviwed fans and they said they diddnt like the CGI.

and i think X-2 is actually a good idea final fantasy is always known for originality and inovative gameplay, and since theyve never done a sequal to a particular game itll be interesting to see what they do with it, but i fear if this game is popular it will be a start of a trend

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2003 06:30 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lukeyduckey

Yes the red thing floaing across the screen as great yeah. *sarcasim alight*
The games do have a similar pattern but 7 was the best coz they mangaed to make you care for cloud the most, and Sepoith was the best enemy ever.
I loved the game ever since the scene where you see septioh shove it sword into Cloud, who graps the edge and just pulls it out.
Marvelous.
The film? i fear i like Gigli better, or is that too harsh?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2003 11:53 AM
lukeyduckey is currently offline Click here to Send lukeyduckey a Private Message Find more posts by lukeyduckey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silentfaf
Vengance

idk saying gigli better but comes close to it and lucky ff7 was great and had such great character indepth and emotion that made u care bout all of them just great game and story unlike spirits within story just sucked

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2003 12:00 PM
silentfaf is currently offline Click here to Send silentfaf a Private Message Find more posts by silentfaf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lukeyduckey

Ok my name is LUKEY, no C but an e, u know Luke!!
lol ff7 ruled, ff film sucked

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2003 12:04 PM
Hypernova

Good graphics though!

From a story-telling point of view, I thought it wasn't that bad (ie not totally sucked). I do think they could have done this a little better though.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2003 02:26 AM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Yeah, but since there wasnt alot of 'encouragement' (fan support), they werent able to be funded enough to make another one. So we'll never know what it coulda been capable of for perhaps a sequel of some sort.

I think final fantasy 6 and final fantasy 10 deserved to be a movie hehe

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Sep 7th, 2003 10:05 AM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The graphics were/are amazing but I have my doubts about the story line.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2003 10:10 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shojo_no_umi
Whee!!!

This movie happens to be one of my favs. Even tho it has nothing to do with its name sake, its still a kick a$$ movie. I think it is a good movie, and i love the songs from it.

Haben sie eine Kuckucksuhr?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 08:54 AM
shojo_no_umi is currently offline Click here to Send shojo_no_umi a Private Message Find more posts by shojo_no_umi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
el_barto
I'm So Bored With the USA

quote:
Originally posted by silentfaf
due it sucked it. sucked so bad. wasnt even much like the game story wise it just sucked. it would been better if they based it on one of the games like ff6 or ff7 the best 2 games i might add

its a ****in movie not a video game geez

well i liked it i think the graphics were so good that i forgot that i was watching graphics instead of real ppl

You Call This a New Way of Thinking? I Call This Regression to Ignorance.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 08:50 PM
el_barto is currently offline Click here to Send el_barto a Private Message Find more posts by el_barto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Over a year later, I've decided to resurrect the thread after finally renting the movie.

I avoided it like the plague because of the negative press, and my lack of familiarity with the game franchise, which it subsequently had nothing to do with, which was odd. I realize I should have let my curiosity take hold sooner, because I thought it was an enjoyable movie.

Incredible CGI, for starters. It wasn't frightening realistic like "Polar Express". FF's CGI was polished, very, very well crafted and fluid. The recognizible voice talents were on point as well, and they fit their characters, especially Baldwin and Sutherland. Brilliant.

I also throughly enjoyed the story, although it was somewhat shallow and cliche, as well as slow at times, for a Sci Fi flick. The APPROACH is what matters. Aliens that thrive on human spirits, overtaking the world, and a series of natural elements are needed to save the planets and remanisfest Gaia? That's unique, and smart.

Anycrap, unfortunately, this movie will continue to go unrealized by so many people because of it's CGI, Science Fiction, video game nature. That said, I encourage Sci Fi fans to give this one a chance. Much like "The Incredibles", the animation and story flow with such ease, you eventually forget you're essentially watching a space cartoon.

Thumbs up from yours truly.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2004 07:28 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aku
Drunk

Wahey another FF thread. Just play FF7 it's the one all the fans rave on about. Even though MGS is so much better.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2004 08:05 PM
Aku is currently offline Click here to Send Aku a Private Message Find more posts by Aku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Major Knight
Nothin Better then Knight

This movie prolly bombed at the box office because it isn't final fantasy. It was a whole different thing, with the same name as the games. So when people go see this "final fantasy" movie, they were so disappointed (like me) because they thought it was going to be something like the games. don't get me wrong its not horrible but i cant get over how its just not FF but it has the name. And when i say it wasn't FF, thats because FF's usually do have the worked in danger guy and girl and so on but usually there worlds are run different and more original then the last. but in this movie the world was like in every ofter sci fi movie. oh and no cool magic or summons...c'mon

dont mind my poor grammer skills. I still can make a point.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2004 08:11 PM
Major Knight is currently offline Click here to Send Major Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Major Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aku
Drunk

In other words it was shite

Old Post Dec 8th, 2004 09:11 PM
Aku is currently offline Click here to Send Aku a Private Message Find more posts by Aku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vampier_alucard
Vampire king

i liked it it was ok but yea not a ff movie but the cg to DIE for ^_^

Old Post Dec 8th, 2004 09:49 PM
vampier_alucard is currently offline Click here to Send vampier_alucard a Private Message Find more posts by vampier_alucard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GreenyGreenwell

plain and simple, it was crap. shame really cause it had suck high hopes.

Sony had to by a third of the company to same squaresoft from going under. later brought by enix. thats why its square-enix now.

Advent children looks brilliant tho so i cant wait for that.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2004 09:53 PM
GreenyGreenwell is currently offline Click here to Send GreenyGreenwell a Private Message Find more posts by GreenyGreenwell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote