KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » luke in black

luke in black
Started by: darth fester

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darth fester
jay & silent bobs friend

luke in black

why in rotj does luke wear all black and not traditional jedi brown

he went to jabbas palace as a jedi knight so he should have dressed like one

have i got a point here

Old Post Apr 16th, 2001 12:10 PM
Click here to Send darth fester a Private Message Find more posts by darth fester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

Yeah, even Mark Hamil said to Lucas "This looks to Vaderish." And Lucas said "that is the idea." Lucas wanted to make wear the similar garb because he wanted people to wonder which way Luke was heading.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Apr 16th, 2001 02:24 PM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Plo Koon

I reckon it would have been much cooler if Luke had joined the Dark Side at the end of ROTJ. The soppy ending kind of spoiled it, and it would make the EU novels much more interesting. evil face

Old Post Apr 16th, 2001 08:54 PM
Click here to Send Plo Koon a Private Message Find more posts by Plo Koon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Now, that's nonsense. It's a fairy tale and fairy tales oughta end well. And EU, well, forget about that too. big grin

I had hoped this black outfit would be the Jedi outfit. Too bad. The brown robes OB1 and Owen wore seemed like farmer's clothes to me.

I remember a comic from several years back (okay, EU, sorry big grin ) which feature OB1 in his younger days. Younger in the sense of ANH younger. He wore black like Luke did there. I'm sure the brown robes were not thought to be traditional Jedi robes until TPM.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2001 09:15 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That's right. The robes were originally Tatooine farming gear. They were turned into Jedi uniform some way into TPM's development. May people thought Luke's ROTJ costume was the official Jedi uniform, and at some points in TPMs development that wasn't far wrong...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 16th, 2001 09:45 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I think George was right in putting Luke in black for ROTJ. Luke had already been tempted by Vader at the end of ESB. Why wouldn't a tiny part of him want to join his father, even on the dark side ? There would be no point for his renouncing the darkness to the emporer if he hadn't wrestled with it awhile first.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 01:42 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zereil
Scoundrel

He did join the Dark side and then return to the light side in Dark Empire, and the Graphic novels are connected to the Books as mentioned by the Heir to the Empire links. Anyway as to Luks look, a) no one had mentioned to him as part of his training that Jedi have a fashion sense and b) Everyone looks better in Black..

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 02:30 PM
Click here to Send Zereil a Private Message Find more posts by Zereil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ooh! Watch the revolving Dark Side door... you go in, you go out, who cares! Some of these EU authors had no sense of perspctive.

He did look DAMN good in black...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 06:01 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Isn't there some kind of EU ban outside the EU Forums? laughing out loud

Luke's black clothes also had to do with this great colour scheme Lucas applied in the OT. Luke wore white (of innocence) in ANH, brown in ESB (for growing up) and black for maturity in ROTJ. So Lucas did a lot of thinking about this. I think it's a tad unfortunate that Jedi robes are just farmer's clothes.
On the other hand, Lucas always had the vision of the Jedi being a bit like monks. In that sense this dress sounds fine. But Anakin might be the kind a kid to prefer black as well in later life. wink

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 07:08 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zereil
Scoundrel

As I said everyone looks better in Black...

Old Post Apr 18th, 2001 09:01 AM
Click here to Send Zereil a Private Message Find more posts by Zereil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Even me! laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 19th, 2001 10:08 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

I felt Luke was more "khaki" in ESB than brown. But of course everyone looks good in black. smokin'

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 01:19 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I seem to remember a promo picture of Luke in that suit and it was actually a very pale tan and not as brown as when we see him in it. All that sweat and grime I guess.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2001 11:27 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Light brown, khaki, light tan.... still the same symbolism.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2001 01:13 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

Well if you knew your crayolas as well as I do it could have easily been burnt sienna, you know. laughing out loud

Old Post May 2nd, 2001 06:18 PM
D-120

I HVAE NO LCUE WHAT I AM DOING I KNOW HWO TO POST BUT I DONT KNOW HWO THINGS ARE STE UP OR NAYTHING I HAVE NEVER BEEN A MEMEBR OF A MESSAGE BOARD... COULD SOMEONE HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused

Tim

Old Post May 3rd, 2001 01:29 AM
Click here to Send D-120 a Private Message Find more posts by D-120 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Well, your previous 3 posts were fine.

Simple rules:

1. In the sections stay on topic.
2. All Chit, Chat in The General Discussion
3. Be polite

Something like this would be better in the Support Forum for instance...

Oh, and cut the CAPS LOCK, it's rather irritating and means you are shouting.

Old Post May 3rd, 2001 04:16 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Actually..GL said that Luke ROTJ costume was more "jedi-like" What does that mean?..considering that that GL didn't have anyone in TPM in a costume like that. But instead it looks a bit more like Maul's to me.

Old Post May 3rd, 2001 05:02 PM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

When did he say this, Dim? The timing of that statement could explain a lot.

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2001 10:20 PM
Ratcat

Actually, if you look closely at the cut and design of Luke costome in ROTJ and compare it to Obi Wans in TPM, they are very similar.

Because it is all black, it is very hard to see the shape but you definatly have the under smock, with the two part jerkin over the top and a best holding it in place. It's seen to best effect during the desert skiff battle.

Old Post May 4th, 2001 03:40 AM