KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » hans mention of hell

hans mention of hell
Started by: darth fester

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darth fester
jay & silent bobs friend

hans mention of hell

in ESB han says " rot in hell"
does that mean they have christianity in that galaxy
or does hell mean something else

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2001 03:57 PM
Click here to Send darth fester a Private Message Find more posts by darth fester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Actually he says: "Well, then I'll see you in hell." And I guess it's just a word for a bad place in the afterlife. It's sounds better than Hades or Seth's lair.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2001 06:11 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, none of them are speaking English, are they? In a Distant Galaxy, and so on? It's all 'translated'. That's a translation of whatever word they would actually use.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2001 07:09 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Good call Ush.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2001 07:51 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Pants

HONESTLY, I was REALLY going to post about that very line today. I was going to list the funny things that you hear if you listen, can only remember one now: "If we can't get that shield repaired, we'll be sitting ducks" I'd love to see the ducks of Star Wars, reckon they'd look like ducks, or would they be huge, malformed, carnivorous beasts? QUUUAAACCCKKKK!!! mad

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2001 11:12 PM
Find more posts by Darth Pants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Maybe they are big and fat, like Hutts...

Quackqukqukquaaackkqikqukquakjedimindtrickquack...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2001 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Howard the Duck in space... *shudders*

Old Post Apr 24th, 2001 07:28 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I don't think a substitute for hell would have been appropriate for that scene. If George had used another word we had never heard of it probably wouldn't have had the impact that he wanted it to have in that scene. And that would be a word that someone like Han would use anyway.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 01:16 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth fester
jay & silent bobs friend

he should have made up some swear words

im sure han swears like a trooper

hahahahahaha ive never heard a stormtrooper swear

"theres one set for stun you bugger"

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 02:45 PM
Click here to Send darth fester a Private Message Find more posts by darth fester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Pants

It's the infrequent inclusion of lines like "you look strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark" that add the best comic value. If the films were littered with lines which make no sense to us, they wouldn't be as entertaining to watch. Besides, how many viewings did it take people to notice the use of the word 'Hell'? As for swearing, I'm sure that "E Chuta!" is the closest we'll get, although when we first got introduced to Yoda, I just KNEW that R2 was mumbling some obsenities.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 11:28 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Like:
"I KNOW him! I KNOW him! The little green *******! HE wouldn't train your father! if he had had FAITH, we might not be in this mess!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 11:31 PM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Well, many people say "blast," which I think is their way to say da*n.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 11:32 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

You're right 212...Luke says "blast it" in terms of swearing.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2001 01:47 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

I think Han says, "Well then I'll see you in Hell" because it is something that the audience can easily relate to. Almost everyone has heard that saying before.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2001 03:51 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Pants

If they wanted to be really anally retentive, they could have had the whole dialogue in a different language because English didn't exist, but one has to draw the line between unbelievably like Earth:now and stupidly and unenjoyably alien. They allowed for English dialogue, with the odd Earth phrase thrown in to relate to the audience. It couldn't have worked better if you ask me.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2001 09:46 PM
darth fester
jay & silent bobs friend

ok then when luke went to dagobah you could see the screen on his x-wing which was in an alien language
so why then do they call them x-wing fighters
ps...i dont mean to be flippant

Old Post May 3rd, 2001 12:50 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

For 'x', substitute any letter in whatever language they use which is cross-shaped.

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2001 10:19 PM
Ratcat

I think you need to be a little bit creative in your mind here. The text was done basically to save them having to make up loads of techno-talk like they do in Star Trek.

Old Post May 4th, 2001 03:43 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

God, just HOW has that become WORSE lately? It's almost as if the ST writers have become self-satirical...

BtVS

Old Post May 4th, 2001 04:24 AM
Ratcat

That's why they call it Techno-babble.

AND the topic was "Hans Mention of Hell"

Old Post May 4th, 2001 12:21 PM