KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why Skywalker?

Why Skywalker?
Started by: finti

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

Why Skywalker?

If Luke was put into some sort of hiding by Yoda and Obi-Wan, why did he go by the name of Skywalker. we must presume Anakin meets up with Owen Lars and as Vader why shouldnt he keep track of them. Be kind of weird getting reports back of the Lars homestead with a nephew called Skywalker.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2001 12:56 PM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

There are only 3 cities on Tatooine, only in Anchorhead there are friends of Luke. By that there aren't a lot of guys who know: "It's Luke, you know, Vaders son!"
They all call hem Luke AND he had a nickname so others will always know that it's Luke (enter nickname)

Old Post Jul 15th, 2001 01:32 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Nickname was Little Wormie still his full name is Luke Skywalker and he wanted to apply for the acadamy. Dont you think the empire would have a little name register in their databanks and when the name Skywalker came up an alarm bell would sound. Anakin probably got himself some reputation as a jedi before the turn over, and after he hunted dowwn the jedi`s. This would also mean hunt down any relatives that could pocess of the force. The Skywalker name belonged to a jedi, belived to be dead. Couldnt be to sure if he had offsprings could they.

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: finti ]

Old Post Jul 15th, 2001 09:57 PM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot:
<STRONG>There are only 3 cities on Tatooine, only in Anchorhead there are friends of Luke. By that there aren't a lot of guys who know: "It's Luke, you know, Vaders son!"
They all call hem Luke AND he had a nickname so others will always know that it's Luke (enter nickname)</STRONG>

ALL EU, therfore all irrelevant I'm afraid.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2001 10:10 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Nope, not EU material (I think) I thought OB1 in EPI said that there were only 3 cities (could be the novel) and when Maul was on Tatooine he only saw 3 cities when he had to find Qui-Gonn and the rest, it's obvious that there are 3 cities. If you are looking for someone, why pick out 3 of the 528438 cities?
Second: Why would there be an academy on Tatooine? that would be not good: it will have a negative economic balance! AND Owen is trying every way to keep Luke away from the academy
PS: Little Wormie? thankx never knew that

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 02:40 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He didn't say there were only 3 cities in the film, but Qui-Gons' description of Tatooine means that I am suprrised if there were many more. Isn't Anchorhead a small settlement rather than a city? It clearly doesn't have a space port.

However, no matter wehich way you cut it, Maul got pretty darn close to the others before he started searching, and it can't be because he spotted their ship otherwise he would not have had to search at all. So we can say that either good detective work or Sith sense got him close first of all. I would be surprised if that area was the ONLY populated area of Tatooine for him to search.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 03:21 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jameous Woodshire

Yep (again I agree, this is scarey) he never said how many cities are on Tat. Maul said it's sparcely populated, but nothing else. Obi, never said but one city in ANH. And I dont think Qui Gon said anything except land next to the city. (But I havent seen TPM in a couple months)

And Maul landing close either has to do with his Sith sence or an easy way to fill a hole in the plot laughing out loud .

Also Skywalker may be a common name like GL said Antillies was. If not a Smith or Jones, than maybe a Brown or White.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Jameous Woodshire ]

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 09:04 AM
Click here to Send Jameous Woodshire a Private Message Find more posts by Jameous Woodshire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

even if it was common name dont you think they check it out though.
Nobody said the acadamy was on Tatooine, Biggs went away for the acadamy. This was what Luke wanted to do as well. Get away from Tatooine.
There are mentioned 3 cities/settlements during the SW saga so far, doesnt mean that there are no more places or cities on the planet.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 02:01 PM
yerssot

yeah, but ...
the only cities spoken of are:
Anchorhead: "I can take take you to Anchorhead, or whatever you are going"
Mos Eisley: "Mos Eisley spaceport, you will never find the more reched hive of scum and villainy"
But I don't think that Mos Espa is spoken of.
( I could be wrong)
But still Maul just stepped out of his ship, and ordered 3 searchdroids to search in 3 different cities. I think that it is difficult to say anything about it because there are not enough facts

Old Post Jul 17th, 2001 12:57 AM
yerssot

My mistake!
There is a place called Mos Espa (the whole time on Tatooine in TPM was in Mos Espa)
I just checked the official website and ...
you have Mos Eisley, Mos Espa, Anchorhead and Bestine township. All are settlements so, let's say Maul was lucky that day.
I think that the official website is good enough to be taken seriously

Old Post Jul 17th, 2001 01:03 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

Anchorhead is merely a farming community, not considered a "city". The power station and a few homes, probably where Deak, Windy and Camie live. Mos Espa could have started out in much the same way, then grew into a larger settlement. I doubt much of Anchorhead may have existed yet in ep1 anyway.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 03:15 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth fester
jay & silent bobs friend

ok how did darth maul know they were on tatooine in the first place.

we know that obi wan didnt respond to the radio message sent from naboo

and wasnt it a coincedence that maul had happened to land on tatooine when he could have been searching on any planet.....

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 03:49 PM
Click here to Send darth fester a Private Message Find more posts by darth fester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

NO-ONE knows how Maul tracked them to Tatooine. You can make up any reason you wish, but it really should have been made clear on film.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 10:16 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

My guess is that even listening to the message was enough to give a signe on were they were, like a mobile phone, who gives every 30 min a signal to a network to show were he is. And the message was twice played

Old Post Jul 19th, 2001 12:07 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, the film indicates that it could have only been tracked if they replied. Like I say, you can make up a reason like that if you want, but you shouldn't HAVE to, it should have been explained in film.

Also, seeing as that message wasn't actually sent at anything in particular (it can't have been, because of course they did not know where the Queen's Ship WAS), it probably was recieved by lots and lots of people, so a listening trace would have been not much good.

BTW, the second time the message was played was a. a recording, b. when the ship was in flight and c. was AFTER Maul had already found them!

BtVS

Old Post Jul 19th, 2001 12:19 AM
Jameous Woodshire

I'm probbaly wrong (Ush?) but didnt the Queen respond to the message, even though Obi knew she shouldnt?

Old Post Jul 19th, 2001 02:01 PM
Click here to Send Jameous Woodshire a Private Message Find more posts by Jameous Woodshire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth fester
jay & silent bobs friend

may be when tpm comes out on dvd there may be a scene where you see someone respond to the message

Old Post Jul 19th, 2001 02:54 PM
Click here to Send darth fester a Private Message Find more posts by darth fester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Jameous- no, she didn;t She couldn't have done; she was with Qui-Gon.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 19th, 2001 10:12 PM
yerssot

I still stick to the point that just opening it was to much. big grin

Old Post Jul 19th, 2001 11:21 PM
Darth Pants

The fact that the message was sent after Maul got on the case suggests to me that it was a requirement of the trace, can't see any other reason for it (unless the governor just decided to send it himself...unlikely)

Old Post Jul 20th, 2001 02:49 AM
Find more posts by Darth Pants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote