KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » lighsabers

lighsabers
Started by: jedi212guy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ratcat

Like I said, it's an idea. I just figured that as an American production, written by an American, etc.

I can see where you are coming from on the types of Sabre/Saber issue, but I don't know enough about that to comment.

I'm sticking with Saber cos I read a lot of the novels and they spell it that way, even in the UK editions.....

Old Post May 19th, 2001 03:11 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

The American Perspective

Just got an email from my web-friend Karen on this one...

Sent: 18 May 2001 23:21
To: [email protected]
Subject: SABER

I'm on my way home, but thought I'd tell you in an American dictionary, saber is the usual spelling. Under sabre it says chiefly British variation of saber.

Old Post May 19th, 2001 03:25 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, they don't look like curved cavalry blades to me...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2001 03:27 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

But the may they are used? Is that style closer to a slashing cavalary style or a fencing style?

Old Post May 19th, 2001 03:32 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, they are clearly used much more like non-cavalry sabres. Cavalry sabres/sabers are not duelling weapons.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2001 03:42 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Yeah, but I always fought of dueling as more the fencing style anyway and what we saw in TPM was not fencing IMHO OC. Maybe that's why it got changed?

Old Post May 19th, 2001 03:55 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

These are Napoleonic weapons, RC. I think you will find infantry sabres were NOT desinged for poncy fencing (though sabre fencing is anything but poncy; it is vicious). But they WERE desinged for close combat. Cavalry sabres/sabers were not; thwey would probably break in a melee

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2001 03:58 AM
Ratcat

But those don't concern me, the only weapon that does is the massless, energy bladed weapon of the Jedi Knights.... big grin

Old Post May 19th, 2001 04:01 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I know THAT...

My point is that a saber would never be used in close combat melee. Hence a Jedi weapon would be a sabRE.

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2001 04:08 AM
Ratcat

OK, George, your wrong, cancel the whole project, you spelt the damn word wrong. laughing out loud

He wrote it, his word is Lore. It's a different Galaxy, we need a copy of their Dictionary to bottom this one out....

Old Post May 19th, 2001 04:14 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's all translsted into OUR language and meanings! Besides, HE calls them sabRES!

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2001 04:16 AM
Ratcat

How you figure that. He used Hell as a "bad place"

So he used Saber (either spelling) as a sword os some type.

*Sit's back to watch Ush get even father up his high horse.* roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 19th, 2001 04:22 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's more a stallion than a horse...

Because GL wrote it sabre, that's why.

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2001 04:31 AM
Ratcat

And subsequently changed it to SABER as well.

Actually, I think we're getting into Shire territory now...

Old Post May 19th, 2001 04:38 AM
Darth Pants

Maybe GL isn't the all-knowing, dictionary correct being we think he is. Perhaps being American, he used the more common American spelling of the word, his knowledge of weapons being more limited than some others', hence the words sabre and saber are interchangeable to him and don't have any relevance to the way in which they are used.

Bearing in mind, for most Jedi, they would probably never use a sab** to cut someone down anyway, they'd probably win the battle through use of the Force, or by deflecting blaster shots back at the enemy. Name a weapon we have which is used like that, the closest I can think of is a tennis raquet.

Old Post May 20th, 2001 02:52 AM
Find more posts by Darth Pants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oddlu enough, tennis is one of the 'styles' Nick Gillard used in his combat style...

BtVS

Old Post May 20th, 2001 03:04 AM
Ratcat

Yeah, that Obi Wan kenobi has a wicked backhand and his lob is to die for.... rolling on floor laughing

Old Post May 20th, 2001 04:41 AM
Darth Pants

That's the thing with lightsabres,whilst many think they can be likened to swordplay we know, they're so different.A lot of the difference in fighting style probably has to do with their being able to cut with any 'edge',so you could swing it whichever way you wanted and cause serious damage.

Old Post May 21st, 2001 03:49 AM
Find more posts by Darth Pants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Exactly why fencing would be good.

BtVS

Old Post May 21st, 2001 05:13 AM
Ratcat

How so, neither a fencing foil, nor sabre has a blade that covers the entire 360 degrees of the blade does it?

Old Post May 21st, 2001 03:32 PM