KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan
Started by: Vicky

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Vicky

Obi-Wan

Excuse me if this has been brought up in the past, but having watched the OT over the last weekend, something has been niggling me.

In Empire Strikes Back, when Luke leaves Dagobah for Cloud City, Obi-Wan's apparition self tells Yoda 'that boy was our last hope' (or something to that effect).

I thought Obi-Wan was instrumental in ensuring that Luke and Leia were kept safe? If he was responsible for seperating them, how could it have possibly slipped his mind that Leia existed?

Any ideas? Like I said, if this has been covered before, sorry.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2001 12:18 AM
Click here to Send Vicky a Private Message Find more posts by Vicky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Don't worry about going over old ground.

My interpretation is that Obi-Wan doesn't rate Leia as much of a chance at all, unlike Yoda. Ben's dismissive attitude to Leia is echoed in ROTJ. And I can't blame him either; Luke is clearly the right one.

So he knows about her, of course, but simply does not think she is another hope at all.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 6th, 2001 12:40 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Dont forget ESB was a cliffhanger and Obi Wan and Yodas discussion was made to create extra interest for the next chapter in the story. Besides those fact and in my mind I think Obi Wan consider the fact that Leia is a captive on Bespin at the time of the discussion, and with that Obi Wan is right about Luke. As Yoda said "always in motion the future" with that they couldnt see Leias escape. Obi Wan probably knew of Yodas failing health so who should train Leia if they chose to contact her.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2001 11:58 AM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote