KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » David Prowse is ill...

David Prowse is ill...
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

David Prowse is ill...

Poor old David Prowse, who of course played Darth Vader and educated a generation of British schoolkids in road safety (quite why they never combined those two ideas.... Vader sure as heck would have made sure I took things careful on the road), appears to be worsening. The strange paralysis that has affected him appears to have worsened.

Let's all hope he gets well soon and doesn't join Alec Guiness in the Force before his time.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 10th, 2001 10:31 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
phinney6
consiglieri

Who was alec guiness

Old Post May 11th, 2001 12:53 AM
phinney6 is currently offline Click here to Send phinney6 a Private Message Find more posts by phinney6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

I hope your not serious! eek! He is the original Obi-Wan Kenobi, old Ben. He died sometime last year. sad

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post May 11th, 2001 02:05 AM
JediOasis is currently offline Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
phinney6
consiglieri

I don't like reading the credits! That is who I thought it was anyway.

Old Post May 11th, 2001 02:12 AM
phinney6 is currently offline Click here to Send phinney6 a Private Message Find more posts by phinney6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Alec Guiness is one of the finest British actors of all time. Amazingly, GL managed to get him to play the role of the original Obi-Wan (not Alec's normal role at ALL), and in doing so Alec won himself an Oscar, and a great deal of money. He sadly died last year.

Far fewer people know of David Prowse, sadly. Poor sod was being dummied all the way though the making of Star War- amasingly enough, he did not know that Luke was Vader's son until he actually watched ESB at the cinema. He was guven dummy lines to say (JEJ did the voice-over later, of course) and he couldn't hear a thing anyone was saying to him in that helmet.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 11th, 2001 02:28 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Poor man. That seems so unfair.

Old Post May 11th, 2001 03:02 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Still, he was great. Now if only they can work out what is wrong with him...

BtVS

Old Post May 11th, 2001 03:05 AM
queeq
Chaos

Yes, the disease is strange.

I never liked his claims that he WAS Darth Vader. I mean, Vader is an actor, a suit and a voice: three different elements. He always made it seem as if his part was irreplacable. That never seemed right to me.

Old Post May 11th, 2001 12:37 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He waas a tad bitter of course. Like I say, he got the raw end of the deal.

In an ODD way now, it'd be great if he could play Vader again at the tail end of Episode III...

BtVS

Old Post May 11th, 2001 10:18 PM
queeq
Chaos

I kinda like to see a suited Vader but much more agile than the one we know from the OT. doubt if he could pull that off.

Old Post May 14th, 2001 11:32 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Of course. I meant a post-crippled Vader.

BtVS

Old Post May 14th, 2001 11:42 PM
queeq
Chaos

Why do you feel he got the raw end of the deal? He played Vader a couple of times, he doesn't need to know everything about the script or the story. His job is to walk around in the suit, he got payed for that and that's what he did.

Old Post May 14th, 2001 11:56 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Don't you think he got a tad TOO forgotten?

BtVS

Old Post May 14th, 2001 11:58 PM
queeq
Chaos

No. His job was pretty clear, why would he be forgotten. Harrison Ford didn't know about the plot, neither did Carrie Fisher. Only a few people did. What else should he have done. Not the right voice, not the right face for old Anakin. What? He just had to walk in a suit.... and he did that.

Old Post May 15th, 2001 12:19 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yeah... but even so... he played Vader!

BtVS

Old Post May 15th, 2001 12:25 AM
queeq
Chaos

Well, HALF of Vader at the most.

Old Post May 15th, 2001 12:45 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

True... and everyone loves JEJ... ok, so the Jonesmeister probably contributed more, and Prowsey boy desevred more, i feel.

BtVS

Old Post May 15th, 2001 12:50 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

I don't think they should have given him dummy lines. They didn't give Mark dummy lines.

Old Post May 15th, 2001 01:24 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That's security for you.

BtVS

Old Post May 15th, 2001 01:30 AM
queeq
Chaos

I see absolutely no problem in the dummy lines. Vader being Luke's father was like THE big revelation of ESB. And Prowse is no the author of either SW or Vader, GL has every right do make him say dummy lines. Heck, actors don't always need to know every detail or how a scene works. Especially when you want to keep things secret about the film.

Old Post May 15th, 2001 03:06 PM