KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » Is Jason good ?

Is Jason good ?
Started by: Pablo G

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Pablo G
Coolest Beaner Around

Is Jason good ?

Well here's a topic that no one has touched upon yet:

Was Jason redeemed at the end of Freddy vs. Jason?

I 'm having doubts because of the following:

1) Jason was clearly portrayed as a sympathetic villian. This can be seen in the following ways:
a) It is revealed that Jason's thirst for blood stems from his desire to please his mother. Freddy took advantage of this and disguised himself as Jason's mother and thus Jason's new killing spree began. This fits because Jason's origin story involved his mother using some kind of evil magic to resurrect him and send him on his merry murderous way. Apparently it drove her crazy enough to kill too. Thus it is at least hinted that Jason, being a retarded child at heart, really may not know any better. And thus he is killing because his mother told him that it is the right thing to do. While, Freddy on the other hand is killing for his own sense of enjoyment.
b) The portrayal of the Camp Crystal Lake drowning sequence in Jason's nightmare, clearly portrayed him as an abused, scared, and helpless little boy.
c) He was deceived by Freddy into doing his dirty work, and judging by his reaction he was none too happy. So again it is revealed that Jason is not killing for pleasure.

2) IMHO Jason was not only trying to kill Freddy in the end but save the female lead from being killed. Remember she tried to save him from Freddy during his nightmare. Also if you remember the stare Jason and the female lead shared just before he died. It hinted that some kind of bond was formed.

Although it can certainly be argued that Jason just wanted to make sure that Freddy was dead.

With this in mind, I feel that Yu & co. were trying to create a villian redemption ending to this movie. The best example is how Darth Vader (the villian in the first two and a half movies) redeemed himself by killing the true villian, by saving someone he cared for.

The more I think about it, F vs. J was truly a fantastic movie and not just a fantastic "slasher" movie. The writers actually made me feel sympathy towards an unstoppable zombie killing machine! Nice work.

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than just a kind word" - Al Capone

Old Post Sep 17th, 2003 04:52 AM
Pablo G is currently offline Click here to Send Pablo G a Private Message Find more posts by Pablo G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

jason has always had a kind of innocence about him, much like leatherface, he doesnt seem to know that what he's doing is wrong.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2003 05:07 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leftomaniac
Freelance Geek

I wouldn't go so far as to say "good," but I agree, there is a certain innocence- even mindlessness to his killing.

There's something I like about the fact that the female lead was scared off by Jason's ugly face, though. It kind of tells the audience not to take this TOO seriously.

I also think Ken Kirzinger has very sympathetic eyes. Makes you want to give him a big hug.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2003 09:33 PM
Leftomaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Leftomaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Leftomaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

i think thats why they picked him over kan hodder.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2003 09:46 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leftomaniac
Freelance Geek

Really? I assumed there must have been some other reason, either Kane didn't want to do it, or there were some outside complications or something. I mean, in my mind and the minds of a lot of people, Kane IS Jason, y'know? Still, you might be right...

Old Post Sep 18th, 2003 04:01 AM
Leftomaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Leftomaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Leftomaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

no, kane wanted to reprise the role of jason, but they decided to go with this guy.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2003 07:37 AM
Leftomaniac
Freelance Geek

Huh. Ah well, Kirzinger did a bang-up job, so I've no complaints.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2003 08:04 PM
Pablo G
Coolest Beaner Around

Kane was meant for the role but he towers over Robert Englund, so Ronny Yu thought it would look bad for a mini Freddy to fight a huge Jason. Ken Kirzinger still looks taller than Robert but he did a great job and I wouldn't mind if he continues with the Friday the 13th franchise.

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than just a kind word" - Al Capone

Old Post Sep 18th, 2003 10:47 PM
Pablo G is currently offline Click here to Send Pablo G a Private Message Find more posts by Pablo G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BABOON
Call me Snake..

i heard the reason they didnt go with kane was because he didnt show enough emotion with his eyes or some bs..are you sure that kirzinger is the shorter of the 2 jasons???i thought he looked way taller... im sure theres a website or somewhere i could go and find that out but i dont feel like it right now.. rolling on floor laughing smokin'

Old Post Sep 21st, 2003 12:27 AM
BABOON is currently offline Click here to Send BABOON a Private Message Find more posts by BABOON Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

yeah, kane didnt have the acting ability of the other guy, or so ive heard.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2003 01:22 AM
Pablo G
Coolest Beaner Around

Kane was fat, and Robert Englund's skinny, the fight wouldn't have looked that good without Ken. I wasn't too convinced when I knew that Kane wasn't playing Jason but Ken surprised me.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2003 03:51 AM
DeNiro

the part in f vs j when jason is in the field with the massive party and he standing behind those two kids before he kills ne one he looks like he is 9 feet tall but ne way kane was awesom at being jason he was in jason x and did a greta job in that so i dont know why they wouldnt pick him for this moive but i guess maybe they just waned a cheaper jason and yes jason seems to kill because of his mother telling him to but ne one who does that to people cna never be considered good no matter what

Old Post Sep 21st, 2003 04:29 AM
DeNiro is currently offline Click here to Send DeNiro a Private Message Find more posts by DeNiro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K Kruegers Twin
I'm coming to get you....

Now that you mention it, he does have an innocence about him...

Old Post Sep 21st, 2003 09:09 PM
K Kruegers Twin is currently offline Click here to Send K Kruegers Twin a Private Message Find more posts by K Kruegers Twin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeNiro

so did john wayne gasy and ted bundy and jeffery dulmery but hey look what they did u would have never expected them to do what they did but i knwo jason is just a moive

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 02:48 AM
DeNiro is currently offline Click here to Send DeNiro a Private Message Find more posts by DeNiro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Kane is not fat as somebody said, his musculer, and he playd the rule MUCH better then Ken, Ken's was more like the guy who playd
in Jason Lives (Part6) and Kane killed in much cooler ways, specily in Jason X and camp Blood

Old Post Sep 24th, 2003 11:23 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeNiro

Kane was the man for the job plain and simple i mean look how many jason movies he has made he perfected being jason

Old Post Sep 24th, 2003 11:26 PM
BackFire

Kane is jason, thats basically it. he was the perfect actor for that role.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2003 11:42 PM