KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » is it worth the risk

is it worth the risk
Started by: Hegemon875

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

diegocala.................it was equally as wrong. It was stealing all the same...........but it was a tad bit different for these reasons.

1. Millions upon millions of people weren't doing this.

2. You could only record what was played on the radio........the new single.........you still had to buy the album to hear the rest of the songs. This is the very point of singles........they are teasers to make you want the rest of the album. Now you can d/l the entire album for free. The purpose of those songs on the radio were to make you want to buy the album........hell, I'm sure they would appreciate you helping them out by distributing their singles........this way other people would want to buy their album too. You were doing their "street team" work for them. Downloading actually does the opposite........you never have to buy the album because you can have the entire thing for free. Those radio singles were basically just the "sample chapters" to make you want to read the rest of the book. It wasn't giving you the entire book for free.

3. The music itself that was played on the radio was of a lesser quality. You couldn't record the pefectly crisp digital copy.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:03 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

"there are a few bands that i have found on kazzaa that have become my favorite, were it not for kazzaa i never would have found them and bought their cd's. Getting a bands name into the public is crucial, this is obvious and i dont understand how you can try to argue against it, obviously the more people who know about them, the more people will"

once again.............you are thinking of corporate musicians. yes......they need their name out to sell albums. How does the local bar band in Seattle profit from you downloading their album? They don't. It does them no good for you to know who they are unless you plan to hop a flight to go see them the next night at the Big Whisky Bar and Grill. The only people who need to know who they are, are their local community (which creates a buzz to record companies) and the record company scout who comes to check them out and decides if they are deserving enough to be signed to a record contract. You downloading their cd they made in their garage and telling your friend how good it is helps them none.............you are just getting free music that you otherwise would have had to pay for or not have gotten it at all.

and how exactly do you find a band on Kazaa if you don't know a name? You have a search bar........you have to enter in what you are looking for.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:09 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

"How does the local bar band in Seattle profit from you downloading their album? They don't. It does them no good for you to know who they are unless you plan to hop a flight to go see them the next night at the Big Whisky Bar and Grill. The only people who need to know who they are, are their local community (which creates a buzz to record companies) and the record company scout who comes to check them out and decides if they are deserving enough to be signed to a record contract. You downloading their cd they made in their garage and telling your friend how good it is helps them none.............you are just getting free music that you otherwise would have had to pay for or not have gotten it at all."

they can profit from this too, more people know who they are, more people will go see them live, thus helpin this local buzz for record companies. and most of the band i found were not "corporate" really, they were really small, unkown bands, that, yes, had record deals, but no one bought their music because they were unkown, enters kazzaa and illegal file sharing... they become known, their music is heard, people purchase their music because it is actually GOOD (hint hint record companies)

and for your question... you can find music on kazzaa, say you know the name of a song, but not the band, it iwll find the song and the band name. or sometimes you'll download a song but it wont be the right band....and the band you got by accident will blow you away. Plus sometimes the user providing the band you want, will have some other suggestions for bands who are similar to what you just downloaded.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:15 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

" they become known, their music is heard, people purchase their music because it is actually GOOD (hint hint record companies)"

okay........say Record Companies purchase their music...........how are they going to sell the album that got them signed when everybody who knows who they are already has it downloaded (because you had to d/l it to hear it to become a fan and make them known) and everybody new who hears about the album can simply download it.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:18 PM
BackFire

because i think most people (at least the ones i know) dont have problems paying for music if its good. plus, most of these small bands dotn have all the songs available on kazzaa, they are so small that only one or 2 songs will be available...thus playing a similar role to singles, making you want to hear the rest.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:20 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

so basically .....by your defenition it's perfoming the same task for these small bands that radio and mtv do for larger bands..............while I can see where you are coming from on that, it still opens up every other musician to have their music stolen. Some small nobody band may only have one song on there.......but there are hundreds of Michael Jackson songs. Guess what........nobody ever has to buy a Michael Jackson record again.

alot of people don't have a problem buying music.........people have done so since the birth of the recording industry. The thing is.......when you already have the music, who is going to buy it? You've already got it on a cd in your car.......why would you buy another cd exactly like the one you d/l for free?

The music industry has had a working system since the 50s. It goes as follows:

- musician becomes popular in home area
- musician gets signed to a deal
- musician is promoted through radio and television
- musician becomes well known and makes money

This system assures that the cream will rise to the top. While d/ling music may help some guy's name get out............it also is stealing millions of dollars from countless other musicians and companies. And really.......what has this guy done to deserve his name being out? He isn't even good enough to draw attention in his own local area........why should all these other hundreds of thousands of people lose millions of dollars just so this guy who doesn't even deserve to be heard yet can get his name out before he is good enough for it to be out?

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:29 PM
BackFire

the only musicans getting hurt are the big name ones, like you said, micheal jackson will never have another big cd...but in reality...does he need it? no, he's set for life and he doesnt need any more money, nor do any of the other very big famous bands. i think helping a small, unkown, starving band get their name out so people can recognize their talent is much more important then expading the already very full pockets of these big famous musicans. and as far as teh companies go, they will get plent of money no matter what, and like i have said, if they start putting out better music, instead of the same old recycled redundant crap that they do put out....then more people would be motovated to buy music, but they dont, the music they put out is generally sub par in every area and is just there to serve to the temporary popularity of whatever flavor of the week trend is at the moment.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:36 PM
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

you are seriously wrong if you believe only "big musicians" have their albums available for d/l...................go on Kazaa and look up bands like Kottonmouth Kings..........you will find 5 albums available for download. These guys aren't big...........they are on an indie label called "Suburban Noize Records".......also check out Corporate Avenger........you will find all three of their albums available for download...........these guys are lucky if they are thousandaires............yet nobody has to buy an album of their ever again..................you seem to underestimate the power of the net. All it takes if for one of their fans to put their albums up and boom........the entire world has them for free....

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 10:59 PM
diegocala
Replicant

A $2 CD should not be sold for $16.99
They rip us off, we return the favor

--Siggie Created by Master Godshinto

Whatever happened to my Rock N Roll?
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 11:13 PM
diegocala is currently offline Click here to Send diegocala a Private Message Find more posts by diegocala Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

quote:
Originally posted by Evil Dead
you are seriously wrong if you believe only "big musicians" have their albums available for d/l...................go on Kazaa and look up bands like Kottonmouth Kings..........you will find 5 albums available for download. These guys aren't big...........they are on an indie label called "Suburban Noize Records".......also check out Corporate Avenger........you will find all three of their albums available for download...........these guys are lucky if they are thousandaires............yet nobody has to buy an album of their ever again..................you seem to underestimate the power of the net. All it takes if for one of their fans to put their albums up and boom........the entire world has them for free....

Yeah but the small bands are the ones that benefit from having their songs on kazaa because they get an undeground following.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 11:18 PM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
diegocala
Replicant

And they collect the money for their shows! Which we go to because we were able to download a song for free, but paid the $15 to get in to the show!
Amen hedge!

It's the FRC's that are making all the money from this!

--Siggie Created by Master Godshinto

Whatever happened to my Rock N Roll?
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 11:27 PM
diegocala is currently offline Click here to Send diegocala a Private Message Find more posts by diegocala Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

yep, as DC stated, the bands get very little money from their cd's sold. their main profit comes from the money made from live shows. so people who are motovated to download the songs for free may go to the show and give more money to the artist then they would have by purchasing the cd itself. thus, the artists are making more mony with kazzaa if you think about. because people who normally wouldnt bother spending money on their products are hearing them, and becomming fans, thus going to their shows, giving them moeny that wouldnt be given to them were it not for kazzaa. so the only peopl egetting hurt by kazzaa is the big record companies, and as DC said, they rip us off, we return of the favor, it sounds incredibly fair to me. i personally dont download much music, i prefer buying the cd's, just because i like having the actual and original product, i enjoy going to the store, purchasing the disc and so on, it feels more satisfying to me... but i can definately see where the downloaders are coming from.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2003 11:36 PM
GABRIEL05
Doom Herald

quote:
#1.
You need to stop thinking of the top 10% of the music industry which is filthy rich. Look at the big picture. I'm sure you have local bands where you live, I know I do here. Do they look filthy rich when you go to your local bar to see them play? I think not........they all have regular jobs because they can't make enough money to live on by playing music alone. Now you want people to not even buy their cds.......you think people should get their music for free?

If I like a band, I go see them live. Most of that money goes right to the pockets of hard working people such as roadies, musicians, and the like. Thats how a lot of jazz musicians do it because jazz doesn't sell as many records as the fast food on the radio nowadays. Now another little trick is to get x amount of CD's made complete with case and all that shit for a price, then when you go on tour sell them at your venue. Thats how a musician I met did it. He put his music on the net, then went on a tour of Europe. He brought about 10,000 CD's with him (where the hell did he keep them?!?) and couldn't meet the demand (in other words he sold out and people wanted more). Besides the money he gives back to whoever made the CD's for him, he and who ever worked for him gets most of the profits. Besides some shit I just don't feel bad at all for downloading. Such as musical scores. Besides the record company, the only one raking in money from that is the music publisher, and the composer. And they get a shite load of money just for doing the score.

evil dead are you from seattle???!

Last edited by GABRIEL05 on Sep 24th, 2003 at 08:41 AM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2003 08:32 AM
GABRIEL05 is currently offline Click here to Send GABRIEL05 a Private Message Find more posts by GABRIEL05 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

no I'm not.........just using it as an example. I'm from Ann Arbor (actually Ypsilanti) Michigan.

Most of the times the publishing rights are owned by the artist.......unless they are some pop band who didn't write their own song.

General Motors is a huge mega corporation that sells us $2,000 cars for $25,000......................so we should all go to our local Chevrolet dealership and steal all the cars we can? It's the same thing...........stealing from a big corporation in perfectly fine by you people's defenition. They have enough money.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2003 08:00 PM
GABRIEL05
Doom Herald

quote:
Most of the times the publishing rights are owned by the artist.......unless they are some pop band who didn't write their own song.

first off Ann Arbor MI rocks. I know some musicians from there. Good peeps. Second of all, in terms of performance royalties, even though artists who write their own music are entitled to both writing and publishing royalties. However, they usually join a performance society as a writer and not a publisher. You must be both or you only get 50% of your royalty (the writing half). Unless you give that away or you never had it because you never wrote your diddies.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2003 09:18 PM
GABRIEL05 is currently offline Click here to Send GABRIEL05 a Private Message Find more posts by GABRIEL05 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote:
no I'm not.........just using it as an example. I'm from Ann Arbor (actually Ypsilanti) Michigan.

General Motors is a huge mega corporation that sells us $2,000 cars for $25,000......................so we should all go to our local Chevrolet dealership and steal all the cars we can? It's the same thing...........stealing from a big corporation in perfectly fine by you people's defenition. They have enough money.

if we could get away with it like we can downloading music, i see no problem here stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 24th, 2003 10:30 PM
happy kine
mirth maker

i download lots of music that i'd never buy. i steal from the record companies and sleep very well at night. the music on teh radio does not repersent my taste and i'm not going to buy a cd for 18$ just to see if its good. so if there was no way to get for free i'd have to steal my friends cd's. the record co. would like that because my friend would have to buy a new one.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 07:01 PM
happy kine is currently offline Click here to Send happy kine a Private Message Find more posts by happy kine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote