KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » June Birthdays

June Birthdays
Started by: Gundark

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

A Gameboy Advanced? And he's turning four? Pretty quick for a toddler.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 12:09 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Nah see through it man, it is RC himself who wants the gameboy advanced. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 03:16 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

You're right Edna, he was five. And yeah, he is pretty advanced. He has his own PC, and an N64 as well. He's had those for about a year and, quite frankly, he's better with Windows than some of the people in my office.

He can read and do all the basic mathematic operators now. They're already talking about him skipping a year in school. I guess he's not the average toddler, as queeq puts it, but I do believe that if you treat kids like little adults they will truely grow. And thankfully, not at the expence of his childhood.

OK, so I'm sounding a little too much like the proud father here? smile

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 05:26 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

No, RC. You sound like a GREAT father !!!! cool

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:00 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

embarrasment Thanks embarrasment

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:02 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Edna Witch
Magic

Heck I know I'd be proud if I had a little boy like Ben! smile

"This Party's Over" -Mace Windu, epII

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:08 PM
Edna Witch is currently offline Click here to Send Edna Witch a Private Message Find more posts by Edna Witch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Heck, when I was 5, the only computers I knew of were in grade B sci-fi movies that took up a room the size of half a football field. Usually called something like UNIVAC 5000 and were bent on taking over the world. Cool. smokin'

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:13 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Same here. I saw my first computer when I was 12, a ZX-81....

He's my lad with a PII-300 with 256Mb RAM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:14 PM
Edna Witch
Magic

Hmmm this brings back memories of that unforgettable topic "RC and Gundy's incredible Oldness!". I remember it well!

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:16 PM
Edna Witch is currently offline Click here to Send Edna Witch a Private Message Find more posts by Edna Witch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Well at least June 22 isn't that far away. But I guess for Ben its "forever". cool

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:17 PM
Ratcat

Actually that's what has impressed me with him lately, he's been great about it.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:31 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

What a great little guy. cool

Thanks for the memory Edna. Now bury it your little graveyard. laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 06:33 PM
queeq
Chaos

You had a ZX-81 eh, RC? Same here! I even expanded mine with a real keyboard and a joystick! Yeah, those were the days.
Actually, it wasn't the first one I saw. I did a course in programming when I was 12 at IBM. That was pretty fun, but not fun enough to make a career out of it.

I myself keep my kids a bit away from the computer. I prefer them to read books first. And my eldest, 3, is doing quite well. He knows most of the alphabet already.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 08:07 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

are we talking stone age here big grin

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 08:09 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Well isn't finti the comedian today. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 08:39 PM
Ratcat

Oh I agree queeq, but the PC is a tool for knowledge first and a plaything a big second.

But if I were you, I'd look at a lot of the educational packages aimed at children in the 3-10 age group. A great deal of Bens Mathematical and Reading ability came from us sitting with him at the PC, playing these learning games.

Now he would rather use the Reading Rabbit package than play a normal game.

When you add this to the reading and maths he does with us and at school, it gives a big boost. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I don't think he would be doing so well if he didn't have the computer. Plus it's great fun for us to sit with him and help him learn.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 09:13 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

A lot of parents don't have time or don't make time like that for their children. Bravo, RC !!!!! cool

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 09:59 PM
finti

I will make RC a role model for myself bringing up Live, one shall spend time with your kids.
Good work RC, maybe in a year or two Ben will outsmart you big grin if not already

Old Post Jun 8th, 2001 12:42 AM
Edna Witch
Magic

Ooh! And Finti hits the bullseye!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2001 02:11 AM
Edna Witch
Magic

I thought he was turning five?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2001 04:05 AM