KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » i got an eu book

i got an eu book
Started by: finti

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

i got an eu book

I got rouge planet by Greg Bear, guess I have to read it then. Its about obi wan and Anakin. My first EU book.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2001 02:42 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Finti is branching out....better get the drinkbot ready. laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 11th, 2001 02:52 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Woooohooooo! Next thing you know he'll be reading NJO! smile

Old Post Jun 11th, 2001 03:09 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Edna Witch
Magic

Well I never thought i would see the day!

"This Party's Over" -Mace Windu, epII

Old Post Jun 11th, 2001 09:47 PM
Edna Witch is currently offline Click here to Send Edna Witch a Private Message Find more posts by Edna Witch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Poor finti, how will he ever get free from the clutches of the EU? Only fire can purge him now. evil face

Old Post Jun 11th, 2001 11:39 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

(best Beavis voice) FIRE ! FIRE ! FIRE !
Heh heh heh heh heh...

Old Post Jun 12th, 2001 01:29 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Now I know the reason I didnt get in to the EU stuff, the book sucks big time. I`m halfway through and it is really bad. sad

Old Post Jun 16th, 2001 11:35 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

thanks, finti, I knew there was a reason I don't buy eu books. big grin

Old Post Jun 16th, 2001 12:17 PM
keokiswahine is currently offline Click here to Send keokiswahine a Private Message Find more posts by keokiswahine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Read Greg Bear's Foundation book instead. Pure quality!

No, wait, that's not the word... RUBBISH! That's the word. All the no-Asimov Foundation books were rubbish. Well, to be fair, the last one was just dull. The others were pure (expletive deleted), not to metnion shamelessly ripped off from the authors OTHER works.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 16th, 2001 05:18 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Thats what I feel with this book, Its like hmmm read about this thing somewhere else. sad

Old Post Jun 16th, 2001 06:50 PM
JediOasis
Better Man

You picked a bad book to start with. I love reading EU books and that one is probably the worst I've read. You should have started with the Thrawn Trilogy, its very good. The New Jedi Order is the best, but its a bad starting spot, there is too much going on that you should already know about.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Jun 16th, 2001 11:38 PM
JediOasis is currently offline Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jameous Woodshire

I agree J.O.. You should start with Thrawn, or something else. The young Han Trilogy and the Bounty Hunter Trillogy are great and they cover fimilar ground.

Just because one isnt worth kindeling for you fire dosnt mean the next one wont be great!

Keo, you still have to read your Hichikers guide, then start with one of the above books.

Untill next time, MTFBWY, and keep your towel handy wink

Old Post Jun 17th, 2001 10:19 AM
Jameous Woodshire is currently offline Click here to Send Jameous Woodshire a Private Message Find more posts by Jameous Woodshire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

yes, Jameous, I will do that, one of these days. big grin

Old Post Jun 17th, 2001 11:10 AM
keokiswahine is currently offline Click here to Send keokiswahine a Private Message Find more posts by keokiswahine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

I threw it away, it was just too bad of a book. No more EU books on SW, there are just to many other other excelent writers out there. John Grisham, David Baldacci, Ken Follet just to name a few. I read those authors and leave SW to the "silver" screen smile

Old Post Jun 17th, 2001 01:06 PM
queeq
Chaos

The Thrawn trilogy wasn't that bad, quite amusing in fact. But let's face it, we don't love SW for it's literary qualities, now do we. I mean, even the novelisations aren't really superior literature...

Old Post Jun 18th, 2001 01:55 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

actually, I'm canon; only the movies. roll eyes (sarcastic) smokin' big grin rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jun 18th, 2001 02:41 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Derek Robinson, Neil Gaiman, even Bernard Cornwell in a patriotic sort of way...

What I think I can definitely say about the EU books is thar I never read one that actually felt like it was a Star Wars film, if you know what I mean. I don't mean that I hated them all, just that they did rather defitively feel like something different- and I don't think that they HAD to. Book authors just tend to be afraid of being as simplistic as something like an SW film.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 18th, 2001 04:17 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

I thought Shadows of the Empire had film qualitites about it, even Lucas liked it.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Jun 18th, 2001 05:35 AM
JediOasis is currently offline Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jameous Woodshire

I agree that the SW books arent ever going to win a pulitzer prize, but they are fun to read and shouldn't all be compared to just one book. That's not giving it a chance. You just happend to pick up the second to worst book to ever bear the SW logo sence '81 when Han's and Lando's series came out. The worst sence then is The Crystal Star NEVER, repeat, NEVER read or even open that book! wink I say give another book a chance. The Thrwan series was great and I thought it moved like the films. I even had John Williams in my head when I read some of the X-Wing books.

And I keep everything I read in the EU strictly that, EU. Untill its on screen it's not official. But as a reader of the books, player of the WEG RPG, and the Decipher CCG, and the video games, I know alot about it, but also know where the line is drawn.

Like GL said on the TF.N april fools page, "Mara who!?!" rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jun 18th, 2001 09:24 AM
Jameous Woodshire is currently offline Click here to Send Jameous Woodshire a Private Message Find more posts by Jameous Woodshire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

Who? Mara? confused confused roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 18th, 2001 07:45 PM