KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » DVD anyone?

DVD anyone?
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

But storywise it's done better. It looks like a rip-off, it sounds like a rip-off. You can bet your butt it IS a rip-off. Besides, it was extremely predictable, no suprises at all.

Except for the effects of course.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 09:15 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Rather exactly like Star Wars, then...

Look, it was a cool movie in a cool world with a cool storyline with cool gnarly bits attacched that kept nearly everyone enthralled, especially MY generation at which it was targeted. Derivative? Who the bloody hell cares? So is nearly EVERYTHING! The sort of person who would view it like that has amazingly missed the point. It's what you do with it that counts, and NO-ONE had put things togeether that well before.

In terms of imagination to screen, it was the best translation since A New Hope.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 09:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Thats why we all liked it????? I agree with queeq only I think Matrix sucks big time.
And what is star wars a rip off of?

Old Post Apr 27th, 2001 06:37 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well SW is of course a basic fairy tale, I'll give you that. Although it does have more depth than The Matrix does.

The big flaw of The Matrix actually lies in the storytelling. Although everything looks great and that it might seem to indulge in excessive violence, why oh why are two such talented flimmakers not able to TELL a story with images. WHY is there such a boring, dull, tedious middle part where EVERYTHING is explained by TALK TALK TALK. That is a major cinematographical flaw, one that would cause the Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, to turn in his grave. Compared to films like Dark City, or even They Live with similar thematics, these brothers have demonstrated that they can make excellent pictures, scenes and effects, but that visual storytelling is not their strongest point. SW is a lot better when it comes to that.

IMHO OC.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2001 07:12 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Dark City was cocked up by them forcing a voice over at the start though.... about time for a Director's Cut there.

Well, I thought Matrix was just about perfect.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 27th, 2001 05:13 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I'm planning to get a DVD, though it will probably be that I get a PS2 and play DVD that way.

I friend of mine has an awesome DVD setup with a massive widescreen TV with the full surround sound setup. I watched Armageddon on it and it was amazing.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2001 11:22 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The potential is enormous...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 28th, 2001 11:26 PM
Ratcat

Oh, I know.

I have this dream home cinema system that I'd love to be able to afford to get put together. I daren't even look into the costs, they're probably staggering.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2001 11:38 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Big silver screen, superb video projector, prime speaker set, Dolby Digital or DTS, a separate room with one chair in the middle....aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh..... lovely.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2001 12:55 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And now the credit card company is calling...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 29th, 2001 12:57 AM
queeq
Chaos

They charge me for my dreams now?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2001 01:21 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They;re diversifying...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 29th, 2001 01:29 AM
queeq
Chaos

Those b'stards!

Old Post Apr 29th, 2001 01:30 AM
Ratcat

Not far off queeq. I always wanted my own 16 seater or something like that. And with Dolby and Home THX it would be brilliant.

All I would need for absolute perfection is a soda fountain and a popcorn machine outside the door and I'd be set!

Old Post Apr 29th, 2001 03:00 AM
queeq
Chaos

The problem with more than one seat is that there's the danger of people talking during the movie.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2001 02:02 AM
Ratcat

Oh, I bet you're a fun one to go to the movies with...

Old Post Apr 30th, 2001 02:17 AM
queeq
Chaos

We have a break during the movie in Holland... laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 30th, 2001 02:18 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That is the worst idea I have ever heard. And staying quiet during moveis is just polite...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 30th, 2001 03:28 AM
Ratcat

Not mid movie? I remember when we used to have a break between the Short" and the main feature but when the idea of showing a pre-mainfeature short was dropped so was the idea of an interval.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2001 02:48 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Talk during the movie and I'll stick my lightsaber in your ear. big grin

Old Post Apr 30th, 2001 07:13 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote