KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Other sci-fi?

Other sci-fi?
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Other sci-fi?

After seeing the slamming that ST: Insurrection got in the Movie forum, I couldn't help but feel sorry for ST. Sure, it can be pretty rubbish at times, but let's face it, if they made THAT much Star Wars then alot of SW would be crud as well. Perhaps we can be thankful that GL vetoed a full tv series... what with Ewoks and Droids and everything...

So, look. What DO other people think of all other sci-fi here? Are you StarWars fans alone when it comes to sci-fi? Does all opther sci-fi pale in comparision? Is StarWars just your favourite? Or is it just one thing among many?

I remember the Battlestar Galactica thread at the old place... what the heck is ging on with production there, anyway?

Speaking as an ST/Dr. Who/Blake's 7/Buffy/Angel/Ultraviolet/Babylon 5 fan (sorry, Finti...) I can speak on a whole range of stuff...

And as to whether Star Wars is my favourite... hum, tricky that... certainly makes damn good films...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 6th, 2001 10:54 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Well, during the wilderness years (83-96) I was a big Star Trek fan. I still watch it when I can, but I don't go out of my way to catch it any more.

I guess my favorite Sci-Fi/Adventure shows are, as I have mentioned before;

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - It's evolved well, and grown up as the main character has.

Angel - The spin off that has rapidly become bigger than it's parent.

Dark Angel - Really getting into this tale in a society gone bad.

Old Post May 6th, 2001 10:59 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Voyager has NOT exactly been a shining beacon of quality lately. Let's hope the new series can re-vitalise it all.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 6th, 2001 11:07 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I was really into Next Generation when it very first started, about the first year. The movies suck. I love to watch the old series though...with the bad monsters and the styrofoam rocks. Cool. cool

Old Post May 6th, 2001 11:41 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap fame has the lead role in the new Star Trek series, Star Trek: Enterprise

Old Post May 6th, 2001 11:53 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Speaking as an ST/Dr. Who/Blake's 7/Buffy/Angel/Ultraviolet/Babylon 5 fan (sorry, Finti...)

You ought to be sorry for all of the listed series except for Ultraviolet which was very cool with a crappy ending though. ST so bad I can`t fully express it, Blakes 7 laughing my day away, Dr. Who should be MD crap, Buffy grown up?, vampires again Ultraviolet is better, Angel buffy in disguise, Babylon 5 oh my how low can one sink. Look out Titanic, Babylon 5 is on its way. big grin

I kind off liked Space and beyond and the three first seasons of X-files.

[ May 06, 2001: Message edited by: finti ]

Old Post May 7th, 2001 01:00 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You liked SPace Above and Beyond?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well, thats put Finti's sci-fi credentials beyond doubt... irredemably sabotaged, sadly...

Ultraviolet's ending was very good, actually

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 02:38 AM
Ratcat

That was one sucky series. IMHO - Which I would not push on you of course...

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:20 AM
phinney6
consiglieri

The new series is suppose to be like a precual to the original series with a different captain of the enterprize

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:24 AM
phinney6 is currently offline Click here to Send phinney6 a Private Message Find more posts by phinney6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Star Trek is that, Phinney? Yes, that's right.

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:30 AM
Ratcat

YEs, not sure exactly how they fit it into the NCC 1708 timeline but it might be quite interesting to see a modern take on the original Enterprise.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:35 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And First Contact with the Klingons, too... that's going to cause a lot of controversy...

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:36 AM
phinney6
consiglieri

Did you guys like the original series better than Star trek I-VI the movies.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:37 AM
phinney6 is currently offline Click here to Send phinney6 a Private Message Find more posts by phinney6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It wasn't better than numbers II and VI.

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:39 AM
Ratcat

I'm pretty OK with Star Trek in all its forms, I like the concept, though I dop agree that in recent years they have gone downhill with Voyager.

I find it weird that TNG Seasons 1&2 seem to have aged worse than TOS.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:40 AM
Darth Pants

I've never gone for Sci Fi series myself, they always get too tacky. The characters in Star Trek never get their hands dirty, their uniforms are all neatly ironed in each episode, and when they do go on an away mission, they energise as the first sign of danger. I did like First Contact, it had good pace, action and some good humour in there.OK Ush, I'll confess, The Matrix was pretty good, objectively.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:42 AM
Darth Pants is currently offline Find more posts by Darth Pants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
phinney6
consiglieri

My fav. star trek movie was number IV I thought it was wicked funny laughing out loud

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:42 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

At LAST, I thought there were going to be no other Matrix fans here...

Yeah, what IS with the first two TNG series? You have Conspiracy in series one, and that's about it (criminally, still no follow up), and then you're stuck with Pulaski all the way through two...

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:48 AM
Ratcat

Matrix was cool. I watched it again yesterday and it's a fun piece.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:14 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Woo-hoo!

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:20 AM