KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Other sci-fi?

Other sci-fi?
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Pants

Yeah, but worthy of three Oscars? Probably not. It was an outrage that it won best special effects. Bullet Time's good, but not that good. Buy me enough cameras and I could do it in my living room (well, I couldn't, but the technique's simple), TPM had the truly amazing synthesis between actor and CG.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:23 AM
Darth Pants is currently offline Find more posts by Darth Pants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It wasn't QUITE perfected in TPM, that wa the reason I think. If Ep. II does not win it there will be trobule...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:25 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

BUt wasn't the Matrix the first feature to use Bullet Time in that way? I may be wrong but I'm sure that's what they said in the "Making of..." feature.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:32 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, I think so.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:40 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Probably why they got an Oscar then. It's as much about innovation as anything else.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:48 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The Matrix shots were pretty perfect from many points of veiw.

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 04:51 AM
Ratcat

I've seen that kind of shot a number of time since but the Matrix is by far the best.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:02 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Still, let's see what LOTR can do...

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:05 AM
Ratcat

I saw the posted in the cinema the other day, it looked quite swish.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:13 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Swish hardly seems to cover it...

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:17 AM
Ratcat

Well, it's quite a simple poster. The face and hands with the ring, but it looks very nice.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:21 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just getting carried away, I guess...

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:39 AM
finti

From tv to the big screen huh? Well I liked Starship Trooper."When I was younger so much younger than today." I saw movies like Battlestar Galactica and Star Crash. I liked the Galactica series, but Star Crash sucked big time. I bought BG on video some years ago and man is the flick kind of bad. I heard rumors of reviving the BG series, with todays technology that might be interessting.
I think the rumor was about the Appollo guy was in charge now and the cylons were back. Actually I belive it was RC who posted this info, I think it was him?

Old Post May 7th, 2001 11:42 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Yes, it was in Starburst magazine about 12 months ago.

The idea was proposed by Richard Hatch (Apollo) in 1999. They produced a trailer and it did the rounds at conventions. Apparently it was quite slick, despite having been produced on a shoestring budget using Richard's credit cards....

Anyway, as of yet no studio would pick it up and there are loads of ranglings about copyrights and ownership, etc.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 11:57 AM
queeq
Chaos

Bullet time was used before in video clips, for the Matrix it was the first time in a movie. So like most of the The Matrix, it's not VERY original.

I'm not into sci-fi because of it being sci-fi myself. I like good stories, whether it's in space or not. I used to watch ST and Blake's 7 when I was a kid. There wasn't much else to feed on sci-fi stuff then. Now I hardly ever watch any series. Films I like: 2001, Dune, SW, Planet of the Apes (looking forard to the new one), First Contact, Dark City, Escape from New York (if you count that as sci-fi that is) and a couple of others I can't think of right now.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 03:53 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

I was suprised how good POTA looks..doesn't look like Tim Burton did it. AI's going to probably be really good too. Atleast 2 movies I'm gonna see this summer.

A couple more movies I liked..Mad Max and The Fifth Element.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:02 PM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

I forgott the tv version of Dune 6 hours long, more close to the books than Lynches film was. Yeah I lokk forward to POA.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 05:17 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

POTA looks like it will be awesome. Can't wait to go see that. We saw the trailer 1 at the front end of Bridget Jones and we were both blown away. I think if we could have got tickets there and then, we would have.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 07:08 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

But can POTA have a decent twist at the end this time aronud, eh?

BtVS

Old Post May 7th, 2001 10:22 PM
Ratcat

Who knows, go watch it and tell us. laughing out loud

Old Post May 7th, 2001 11:14 PM