KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » Best Horror Book

Best Horror Book
Started by: -hh-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Curl_Up&Dye
Pretty in Pink

quote:
Originally posted by Espantada20
Stephen King is great.Anything written by him any horror fan is bound to enjoy.Rosemary's Baby is a good one.There's a lot.But when I was younger,please dont make fun of me,I used to read R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike.The lame teenage thriller's.I liked em them not now so dont judge me

LoL. Don't worry Espantada...When I was younger I used to read those books too. Looking back, RL Stine books were pretty cheesy, but I could still read a Christopher Pike book now, if I hadn't read it already.
thumb up geek thumb up geek power! woop woop! lol

www.deadjournal.com/users/xmystoryx
the angriest journal this side of angryville

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 06:57 PM
Curl_Up&Dye is currently offline Click here to Send Curl_Up&Dye a Private Message Find more posts by Curl_Up&Dye Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
julibug

SK books are good. The movies never do them justice.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2003 04:09 AM
julibug is currently offline Click here to Send julibug a Private Message Find more posts by julibug Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Espantada20
Sexual Entity

Representin' Rl Stine and Christopher Pike geeks to the fullest.hee hee hee.I think Anne Rice is pretty good too.I used to have a thing with vampires.I get off on a lot of horror books.For some reason they make me horny.Please don't ban me for that one,but it's true.Just mention Stephen King and I'm yours.hee hee hee

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 05:24 AM
Espantada20 is currently offline Click here to Send Espantada20 a Private Message Find more posts by Espantada20 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

lol

I never liked Ann Rices Queen of the Damned. It wasn't boring but it wasn't interesting.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 05:27 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Espantada20
Sexual Entity

I liked The Witching Hour,Lasher(I think),The Vampire Lestat,Interview with the Vampire.Queen of the Damned as a movie stank.Memnoch the DEvil is good too.Hey HockeyHorror....you didn't mention Stephen King.............I could have been yours.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 05:35 AM
Espantada20 is currently offline Click here to Send Espantada20 a Private Message Find more posts by Espantada20 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mtrav

Ever heard of Necronomicon Xmortis

Old Post Nov 4th, 2003 08:22 PM
Mtrav is currently offline Click here to Send Mtrav a Private Message Find more posts by Mtrav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Clive barker has to easily be the best horror writer. His series "books of blood" are spectacular. .They have a way to get under your skin. The best horror book probably goes to one of stephen kings though. Though his books are slow they build up with great anticipation and description.

I just finished the House of leaves, anyone read that? it was a great haunted house book. It has alot of innovative way of putting the reader in the story. It uses stunts like you turn the page and the page will be upside down, or there will be several pages with just a single giant letter. You keep turning untill it spells the word. Some times when you turn the page to read on. It turns out it is a page from the end of the book and you have no idea what is going on. The person in the story says, "you ever get the feeling your life is going like your reading a book, and you turn the page and you skip to the end?" Its like the characters are talking to you. It's great you have to turn to different pages sometimes to find out which page you need to continue on. Theres alot of hidden messages you find if you try. It's reel disturbing aswell. Thats probably my favorite recent horror book and easily the most innovative. HOUSE OF LEAVES

Old Post Nov 4th, 2003 10:46 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
heatherfeather7
Quistis Trepe

Stephen King is usually my number one pick. Some of his books are scarier than others. Pet Semetary usually creeps me out (book or movie). John Saul is also good with horror (Suffer the Children in particular). As far as Dean Koontz goes the best one I've read by him so far is The Watcher. Robin Cook also has a good one about the Salem Witch Trials called Acceptable Risk. I have also read all three of the Mayfair Witch books by Anne Rice: The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos and all of them are good also.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2003 02:10 AM
heatherfeather7 is currently offline Click here to Send heatherfeather7 a Private Message Find more posts by heatherfeather7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
heatherfeather7
Quistis Trepe

Sorry, I read so many horror novels I have a hard time picking one exact favorite.=)

Old Post Dec 4th, 2003 02:11 AM
heatherfeather7 is currently offline Click here to Send heatherfeather7 a Private Message Find more posts by heatherfeather7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I cant believe that none of y'all even mentioned the ORIGINAL grandmaster of horror, Richard Matheson. Even Stephen King is quoted saying that "The author who inspired me most as a writer was Richard Matheson." Matheson wrote the majority of his novels and countless short stories in the 1950's and 60's, ranging from absolute horror to sci-fi. His most famous stories are one you may love, but not realize it like "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet". Remember that one? About the man on the airplane who sees the "gremlin" on the wing? William Shatber and John Lithgow both acted in these stories on the Twilight Zone series and the movie. He also wrote the greatest haunted house story ever, Hell House. If you love vampire stories read "I am legend" and dont forget "The Shrinking Man" either. Ever watched the movies "What dreams may come" or "Somewhere in Time"? Although they are romance novels, they are superbly written by Matheson. But, bar none, if you want a great read and a frightening story I HIGHLY recommend you pick up a Richard matheson book. You wont be disappointed.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 12:30 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I also forgot to add Matheson's uber-spooky ghost story "A Stir of Echoes". Great movie adaptation, too.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jul 26th, 2005 09:34 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chico
I agree with Jimbo my favorite horror reads are Stephen King's short stories. I used to get a horror magazine when i was little and it would have short horror stories in it from really good writers like Stephen King. There was a story from Stephen King in there called "the finger" I have looked fo that story everywhere but I never have found it. I also like some Anne Rice books like The Witching Hour.

'The Moving Finger' story appears in Nightmares & Dreamscapes, one of Kings short story collections. ISBN 0-451-18023-2

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 09:52 AM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
b-dan
Son of Sparda

stephen king but my fave stephen king book is IT

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 03:35 PM
b-dan is currently offline Click here to Send b-dan a Private Message Find more posts by b-dan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beta-wolf_101
Master of the Nothingness

I think the best horror book I've read so far is Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there He wasn't there again today I wish I wish he'd go away

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 11:38 PM
beta-wolf_101 is currently offline Click here to Send beta-wolf_101 a Private Message Find more posts by beta-wolf_101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Weaveworld by Clive Barker or The Trickster by Muriel Grey

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 11:51 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jason_Krueger
I play with dead things.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
'The Moving Finger' story appears in Nightmares & Dreamscapes, one of Kings short story collections. ISBN 0-451-18023-2

That is an awsome short story I remember it adapted on a series that use to be on SCiFi channel i think it was called "Monsters" ......also on Nightmares & Dreamscapes is "Chattery Teeth" .....disturbing, truely awsome short story for those of you who havent read it DO!

When theres no more room in hell, Jason Voorhees will walk the Earth

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 12:07 AM
Jason_Krueger is currently offline Click here to Send Jason_Krueger a Private Message Find more posts by Jason_Krueger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doomsday49
Restricted

Account Restricted

intensity by dean koontz. awesome story. It was ripped and raped by cinema which later came to be known as haute tension or high tension in america. Though koontz never got the obvious credit.

my life rap isn't for the weak or feeble/ my youth was no sunshine the grind'll eat you/ they say learn from the past history can teach you/ but if i live backward all i see is evil.....Doomsday biatch!!!!!

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2005 05:18 AM
doomsday49 is currently offline Click here to Send doomsday49 a Private Message Find more posts by doomsday49 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juan carlos

I’d like to recommend you one of my favourites, yet not so much well known. One can find buch of stories which will grab u right into the story, and u won't be able to stop reading nor to move out of the bed. Pretty much scary, as well as a little bit erotic, that's what everyone loves, isn't it? smile Oh well, the book is Cozy Chilling Bedtime Stories by Gibey.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2013 09:28 AM
juan carlos is currently offline Click here to Send juan carlos a Private Message Find more posts by juan carlos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Books of Blood by Cleive Barker: The creator of Hellraiser

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jul 12th, 2013 04:38 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
horrorshow2012

I admit I own a copy of "Christine" on DVD, but the book was incredibly better (and) scarier, well creepier to say the least.

Books I recommend:

"the Stuff of Nightmares" (Malorie Blackman)

"the Bachman Books: four early novels by Stephen King" (Stephen King)

the "Scary Stories to tell in the Dark" trilogy (more for kids, but some are just plain scary)

I will try to think of some more.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2013 07:20 PM
horrorshow2012 is currently offline Click here to Send horrorshow2012 a Private Message Find more posts by horrorshow2012 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote