KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » A.I.

A.I.
Started by: Tex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tex
Yumsz

embarrasment I know embarrasment

Old Post Oct 9th, 2001 07:21 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

My somewhat overdue appraisal of AI will come tomorrow night... finally going to see the damn thing.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 9th, 2001 07:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

just 5 months late big grin

Old Post Oct 9th, 2001 07:26 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Less than that in the UK.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 9th, 2001 07:30 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Enjoy! smile

Old Post Oct 9th, 2001 07:31 PM
Dim
Creativity

Am I the only one who feels it ended in the right place?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2001 10:20 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Yes, but Ush is yet to give his critique

Old Post Oct 10th, 2001 03:17 PM
JediOasis
Better Man

quote:
Originally posted by Dim
Am I the only one who feels it ended in the right place?

No, I thought so too.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Oct 10th, 2001 04:20 PM
JediOasis is currently offline Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, NOW I have seen it!

First of all, I should say that the beings at the end are definitely robots and not aliens; it's part of the entire thrust of the fillm anf their lines give it away as well.

Next, I disagree with some pervious statements about the ending. I could very esily see Kubrick having come up with, if nmot exact;ly that ideea, then something very similar. It had a certain amount of his detatched weird feel about it.

As for it feeling tacked on and sentimental... in many ways, yes, and in many ways it seems an absurd plot convenience introduced just to get some closure, and all athat space-time talk really DID seem out of place.

On the other hand- and I didn;t realise this before I went to see it- AI is a modern day Fairy Tale in the classic sense. A sudden, unexpected, even unbelievable occurrence to set things right at the end is the meat and drink of such stories. All those Pinocchio referecnes weren't just to provide a parralel between David and the puppet; it was to provide a parrallel between fairy tales and this film (rather like those patronising vocieovers done in fairy-tale style). So the ending HAS to be happy (of a sorts, anyway), and for it to come out of the blue like that is very in keeping.

Of course, it doesn't mean you have to LIKE it... in fact, I would be sympathetic to the idea that the whole Fairy Take theme was a mistake, though if nothing else it distinguished it from Asimov's work in the same area.

I did like the film, though it was a little long and laboured and some bits really did stick out like a sore thumb. And Jude Law was cool...

BtVS

Old Post Oct 10th, 2001 10:31 PM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Jude Law was the only saving grace of the film. Saw it on Saturday with Mrs.MM and was bitterly dissapointed, I had a numb arse by the end of it and all I could think about was the trailers at the beginning cus I wanna see "Lord of the Rings" sooo bad.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2001 09:34 AM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I liked A.I.

And, like I said before, it is a movie meant to be watched a few times. I need to see it again. I just assumed that the beings were aliens that had come to earth, thousands of years after the world had ended.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 16th, 2001 11:32 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

i've seen it now, and i think it's a great film. spielberg is, in my mind, an underestimated director, many see him as just a money-making guy, but he really has made many great films.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2001 03:13 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Yes, AI really was great movie making. Too bad it was considered a flop by Speilberg standards, only made $80 million in the US. They were predicting that it would beat Titanic roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 16th, 2001 04:23 PM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I generally don't listen to critics. A movie is not good or bad by it's box office number. Look at "The Shawshank Redemption". No one saw that in the theator, then it came out on video, and everyone loved it!

Speilberg is not an underestimated director. He is probably the most acclaimed of all film directors! When Speilberg attaches his name to a project, everyone wants to see it!

And he has made some of the best films around these days.
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Raiders of the Lost Ark
E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Jurassic Park
just to name a few

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 17th, 2001 03:35 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi ben

God I love this movie, however I had almost forgot about it. But I must say the ending, while drawn out was beautiful. I almost cried

Old Post Oct 21st, 2001 01:24 AM
jedi ben is currently offline Click here to Send jedi ben a Private Message Find more posts by jedi ben Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FLIPMODE

Cool

Good Jedi Ben, now you can List it on the other Thread; what movies made you cry.

big grin big grin

I really Liked the Teddy bear in the Movie. He was way better than Jar Jar.

Infact, I could have probably been more interested, If the main Character was the Bear. Infact, I bet that idea, would've have the movie a Oscar contender. Just look at Babe.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2001 06:39 AM
FLIPMODE is currently offline Click here to Send FLIPMODE a Private Message Find more posts by FLIPMODE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Yeah

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2001 05:07 AM
Tex
Yumsz

Whew!!!

I know this is old, but I just heard that AI is coming out on DVD in March.
I can't wait!!!! I wonder how I will feel about the movie 10 months after seeing it!?!?
I didn't like the ending, maybe I'll like it better now!
It's going to be a 2 disc DVD set, with lots of special features!
I cant wait!
cool

Old Post Jan 24th, 2002 06:36 AM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Hopefully, one of the speacial features will be a good ending. evil face Just kidding, I liked this movie.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Jan 27th, 2002 02:06 AM
Tex
Yumsz

Yeah, I didn't like the ending at all.

It's going to be kewl to be able to pause the DVD and get a good look at the excavation work the advanced mechas were doing. That last scene goes by so fast, and there so much to see, that you have to pause it and take it all in.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2002 04:43 AM