KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S MATRIX GAME- Short Story- 'Midnight in the City'

USH'S MATRIX GAME- Short Story- 'Midnight in the City'
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S MATRIX GAME- Short Story- 'Midnight in the City'

The two men in black trench coats and shades- Grim and Hotwire- hurried through the alleyway. Grim reacted with irritation as his mobile phone rang, but he answered it.

“Yup?”

“Operator,” a female voice replied. “Movement in your vantage point.”

“Shit. They know we’re coming?”

“Can’t think of any other reason they are there.”

“Are there Agents?”

“No.”

“Thanks.” He hung up the phone. “Your sniping point is occupied.”

“Clear it out for me then,” Hotwire replied. “Fast.”

Inside it was gloomy. Grim fumbled for the light switch, tutted when it did not work. He advanced cautiously into a room full of pillars lit only from the moonlight seeping in through the broken windows. As he stepped past the first pillar, the muzzle of an assault rifle poked out into his face and the body-armoured policeman carrying it shouted out:

“FRE…”

Grim grabbed the gun and twisted it with savage strength. The policeman was flipped Grim’s shoulders and landed roughly behind him, his own hand still on the trigger but with the muzzle now pointing at HIM. Grim squeezed the policeman’s hand and trigger, and the gun fired; the policeman’s hand went lip and Grim let the gun drop.

And now there were policemen everywhere, jumping out from behind pillars in the shadows, yelling instructions to their fellows and opening fire. Muzzle flashes lit up the room and the sound of striking bullets was joined by the sound of spent case shitting the floor. Grim, moving with great speed, elbowed a policeman to his side and immediately brought the rest of his arm upwards to smash him in the face; the blow cracked the policeman’s helmet visor open and broke his face. Grim spun the policeman in front of him and the early bullets thudded into the policeman instead. The policeman was then propelled forwards with impossible force, knocking down two of his fellows. Grim then jumped smoothly towards a pillar and appeared to ricochet off it, springing lightly from an extended foot, and then shot at high speed off the pillar into the next policeman along, sending him flying backwards. A bullet hit Grim in the arm, and he grimaced, spinning desperately behind a pillar where he was now pinned down and the remaining seven policemen moved in…
Two policemen were blasted down with bullets in their necks. Hotwire was at the doorway, Ingrams Machine Pistols in each hand. The policemen turned to fire at him but already he was spraying automatic fire from both guns, cutting down another policeman. As the police finally gathered their wits and concentrated their fire on him, he cartwheeled left and the bullets shot past him, though his legs, by his arms, anywhere but into him; he was still firing as he went and another policemen fell. He landed neatly behind a pillar, bullets bouncing off it. With a quick, practiced motion he released the spent clips from the guns, which fell to the ground, and then he virtually flipped new magazines from his coat into place on the guns.

The policemen tried to move around the pillar to get to him. One suddenly found his feet knocked out from under him as Grim slid into him from behind; Grim then jumped up as high as the ceiling and landed down on the man’s neck with a sickening crunch. The policemen turned in astonishment at this move- and Hotwire burst out from cover, one gun aimed at each policeman, and held down the trigger until the clips were spent. And now there was silence.

“Well, thanks for clearing it out…” said Hotwire, smirking.

“Show off,” said Grim. “Get into place.”

“Will you be ok?” said Hotwire, indicating Grim’s arm.

“A flesh wound. Get on with it!”

Two minutes later, Hotwire was at a window two floors up. There, wrapped in old cloth, was the package, just as planned. He opened the cloth and revealed a gleaming new sniper rifle with a powerful scope. In 30 seconds, he had set it up overlooking the industrial area beyond, where Grim was moving towards the target.

Grim sprinted through the decaying warehouses. He knew he had been spotted but there was not time to worry about that now. From behind him, there were shouts. More body-armoured policemen with assault rifles emerged. Bullets were flying at him but he just kept on running. And now the policemen were falling, red mist spraying from them as Hotwire shot them down one by one. Grim smiled.

But then there was something- a figure, in front of him, nearby, flitting between cover so Grim could not see him right. Quickly ducking behind a crate, Grim reached for his phone and dialled.

“Operator?”

“Someone moving; other side of the warehouse to me.”

“Got him.”

“Who or what is it?”

“I don’t know. Moving fast but it doesn’t read like an Agent.” Grim thought for a moment, and then dashed around the warehouse to confront this thing. But it was gone.

Hotwire took a shot at the thing he saw moving between cover near Grim, but the target was flipping forwards and the shot missed. “Shit,” Hotwire said. His phone rang and he answered.

“Yeah?”

“Grim’s seen something odd; it’s coming your way.”

“I think I see it. What is it?”

“I don’t know but it’s not on our side.” Hotwire squeezed a reflex shot as the target came into his line of fire again- but again he missed. The target was much closer now.

“Get Grim back here. Quickly!” spoke Hotwire into the phone, before hanging up. And then there was the target again, just feet away, heading for the building. Hotwire fired again. Damn it!” He was sure he was on target but this guy was just too damn hard to hit! He went beneath Hotwire’s view from the window. Great, now he was inside… Hotwire turned, half-expecting to see the man in the room with him, and then turned back to quickly pick up his gear and meet up with Grim.

The man- tall, well-built and with mirrored shades- had jumped up to the window. He aimed a small kick at the muzzle of the sniper rifle, which flipped backwards into Hotwire’s nose, causing him to cry out and stagger back. The man jumped inside the room, raised a left arm to counter Hotwire’s first blow back, lazily raised his right to counter the second, and then made a lightning-fast jab into Hotwire’s solar plexus, knocking the breath out of him.

Both of the man’s arms then reached into Hotwire’s trenchcoat, taking hold of the spare Berettas Hotwire kept in there and quickly twisting them around. At the moment Grim came running in through the doorway, the man pulled the triggers repeatedly. Bullets tore out through the back of Hotwire’s trenchcoat and into Grim. Six bullets struck him in the chest. Grim fell back, twitching slightly, and was then still. There was the sound of people running up the satirs nearby.

Desperately, Hotwire punched at his assailant again but the man simply grabbed Hotwire’s fist. His right leg then came up to Hotwire’s face and kicked him; once, twice; three times, and on the third time the leg wrapped around Hotwire’s head and, as dozens of armed policemen ran into the room, the leg pulled Hotwire roughly down to the ground and then stood on his throat, ready to crush it.

“Ok, hold it there,” said the man. The policemen in the room suddenly froze. “Well, you made a right mess of that one.” Grim struggled painfully to his feet.

“Gee, Dallas,” he said. “Do you have to make these things hurt quite so much?” The tall man turned on Grim with a mock pitying expression.

“Aww, poor you!” he said. “Did the bullets hurt you? How the hell do you think it NORMALLY feels to be shot? Maybe we should use REAL bullets in here, hmm? And do you think Hotwire here didn’t feel the pain?”

“Actually, talking of the pain, Dallas,” said Hotwire, his voice sounding like a strangled grasp. “Could you… um…”

“Oh yeah,” said Dallas, taking his foot off Hotwire’s throat. “Now, what the hell did you boys think you were doing there? I didn’t even have to break a sweat! How much effort do you think it would have taken an Agent to deal with you two?”

“We took care of the cops…” protested Hotwire.

“Yeah, and what was the point of that? Always more where they came from. Killing a few more coppertops isn’t worth shit if it doesn’t get you anywhere. The Operator TOLD you that they were waiting for you. But instead of changing your plan you just blundered right along! Just because you wanted to get hold of your precious rifle…”

“It was an important part of the plan!”

“A useless plan,” said Dallas. “I didn’t need a machine’s brain to know that the weak point was your lone gunman. Take him out and the man you sent inside was dead!

“I was coming back for him!” said Grim.

“Which goes to show what a mess it was, that the only contingency you had if he ran into trouble was, after having run all the way out, was to run all the way back again… were you intending to do that all day?” Grim and Hotwire were silent. “Besides,” said Dallas, “you two were dead before you even started. YOU,” he said pointing at Grim, “are so obsessed with your fancy up-close moves that you couldn’t even get out the way of a few bullets! And you,” now pointing at Hotwire, “are so obsessed with your guns that you can’t fight worth a damn!”

“What’s the point?” asked Hotwire. “An Agent will beat me anyway.”

“Oh, so you want to make it EASY for him? And Agents aren’t all you meet in the Matrix, there’s all sorts. And we can’t always use guns on cops and guards either! If you are going to be a gun nut, make sure you can at least fight a little. If you are going to take pride in your martial abilities, at least make sure you remember how to dodge and roll, ‘cos if you aren’t going to shoot back you need to! The machines, in their ignorant benevolence, have given us the ability to do the impossible in the Matrix. Make use of it. Maybe I will pick you two for my crew. Maybe. One day. When you have learnt a little better. But not today. Ok, cut it.”

The programme winked out to nothingness.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 8th, 2003 10:27 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

This short story is a cautionary tale about what you should be thinking about when building your characters- it is presented as a public service.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 8th, 2003 10:27 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

laughing out loud Cool, Ush.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2003 11:06 PM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Cool Story

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2003 11:36 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Speaking of cool Matrix stories, I'm gonna post mine soon. Link will be in my sig...

ANYWAY, are we going to have to fight Dallas? He sounds like us fighting Kuylen, but without the lightsaber and braided hair.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2003 11:52 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Gosh no, you guys are all highly qualified.

Aren't you?

You'll see some differences with Dallas from Kuylen when you start play... other than that he doesn't execute subordinates when moody, of course.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 8th, 2003 11:55 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

wow...i feel kinda scared now, i mean...that was very real, feeling, you know...makes you think...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Oct 9th, 2003 02:19 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Thinking... *shudder*

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Oct 9th, 2003 04:13 AM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Hey, now that we've been through the missions and powers and downloads, care to tell us powers these guys were using?

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 07:08 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oooh...

Grim uses Laughter of the Fox on the first policeman.

Hands Without Shadow/Claw of the Tiger on the one he elbows.

Using the body is just a flashy dodge and throwing the body at two others was a ranged attack with his MA value but at something like -4 to hit.

Then a Vertical Kick into the next one.

Then Grim doesn't have Willow Step so he runs into a bit of trouble.

Hotwire BGBs (four bursts from each gun at two ops) and Willow Steps into cover, before Lightning Reloading.

Grim then does a Grasshopper Sweep on a cop ands then a Dreaded Eagle Swoop to finish him whilst Hotwire does another BGB attack.

Dallas uses Shell of the Turtle and Natural Order against every gunshot from Hotwire.

Here he buggers about a bit because Dallas uses a Laughter of the Fox to shoot Grim, which is cheating but it looked good.

And having blown his focus on dodges those are just standard kicks he gives Hotwire before knocking him Prone,

There!

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 01:08 PM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

cool

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 02:06 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Captain REX
ANYWAY, are we going to have to fight Dallas? He sounds like us fighting Kuylen, but without the lightsaber and braided hair.

Well, Rex? Sticking with this?

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 02:10 PM
Dexx
wingless

i wouldn't

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 02:42 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Hmmm...interesting. Cool story smile Someday when I stop being lazy and actually finish enough of mine I'll post it...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 08:38 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, had you not seen it before, TM? Well, there you go... I wrote it to help the first batch of guys make characters.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 09:35 PM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 08:42 PM
Peach
mordrem

Nope, I hadn't seen this before...sure is a good way to show how not to make your characters though smile

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 08:44 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Glad you liked it!

Incidentally, keen eyed players may note that Dallas was not wearing his hat. Much as it displeased him not to, he did this because otherwise Grim and Hotwire would have too quickly identified him as their opponent.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 08:53 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Hmm...Dallas doesn't seem so Kuylen-like anymore...

Good point about the hat.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2003 11:19 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, I hope Dallas is a more amusing character than Kuylen... much as some people don't like him as a Captain...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 30th, 2003 11:54 PM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Heh, he can jack in and save our asses!

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2003 12:01 AM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote