KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The origin of the Expanded Universe

The origin of the Expanded Universe
Started by: Darth Ninja

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Ninja

The origin of the Expanded Universe

Check out this cool introduction by George Lucas in one of the EU novels.

"It wasn't long after I began writing Star Wars that I realized the story was more than a singkle film could hold. As the saga of the Skywalkers and Jedi Knights unfolded, I began to see it as a tale that could take as least nine films to tell-three trilogies-and I realized, in making my way throught the back story and after story, that I was setting out to write the middle story."

"After Star Wars released, it became apparent that my story-however many films it took to tell-was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were stories that I was not destinied to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by glimpses of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga."

George Lucas

Old Post May 13th, 2001 12:39 AM
Find more posts by Darth Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Lovely. Does anyone know how you actually get to BE a Star Wars writer?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 13th, 2001 12:43 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ninja

I read something about that from Kevin J Anderson. You have to write 30 something page script to a publishing company. If they decide they like it, the script goes to George Lucas for his approval and to this women (I forget her name) who makes sure your story doesn't screw up the timeline. Already some of the stories are contradicting each. The most obvious example was Jorus C'boath appearing in the Jedi Apprentice novels. Evidently Jude Watson didn't read Dark Force Rising, because Jorus C'boath was never heard from again 46 years PRE-EMPIRE date. Obi-wan wasn't around back that far (although Master Qui-Gon Jin was).

Old Post May 13th, 2001 12:53 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just goes to show, doesn't it...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 13th, 2001 02:34 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

show what? That the EU contradicts each other? Oh well, we all know it does, but its still entertaining and it does continue the story even if its not "canon"

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post May 15th, 2001 09:07 AM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I was going to say that it shows the problem of using multiple authors.

As I have stated before, I DO like EU. I just know exactly what it is.

BtVS

Old Post May 16th, 2001 12:31 AM
Ratcat

As an additional note, I think with manuscript submissions for Star wars, because they get so many, they now only accept them from professional agents. It's the same with Star trek as well. I didn't even know this until recently. Agents for authors was a new one on me.

Old Post May 16th, 2001 02:35 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ninja

I read somewhere that your story has be really good for it to even be considered.

Old Post May 16th, 2001 05:11 PM
Ratcat

Well, as a popular series with the genre, they are probably inundated with stuff, just like they were with people wanting to act in the films.

Old Post May 16th, 2001 05:15 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh God... don't talk to me about agents...

BtVS

Old Post May 16th, 2001 11:52 PM
Ratcat

Unfortunately they are a neccesary evil, but they do like to cut into your percentage..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 17th, 2001 11:22 PM
LanceWindu

yo

Old Post Jun 20th, 2001 01:47 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zereil
Scoundrel

It vaires as to whre you sit on the profit ladder. Predominantly Agents will take a determined percentage cut. ALthough there are now those in popular areas where agents who seem to work more like a temp agency. THe more complicated issue is how the publisher will pay you. the ratio of percentage of profit and publishing cost is always fairly ropey and dependent on either previous success or else complete faith in your book, which is a rarity. Acting agents are always worse, but try Blue Ice in London they are generally alright...

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 03:11 PM
Click here to Send Zereil a Private Message Find more posts by Zereil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

In an area like Star Wars, or Star Trek is another one, their are so many fans clammering to get their "masterpiece" published that is can be very difficult to even get you work to anyone within the publishing company who will look at it with any real consderation.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 05:39 PM
Julie
The Student

Many are entered but few are published....ah shed tears for the poor unrecognized, aspiring Star Wars writer.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2001 04:04 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ninja

Just bringing this up again, to remind you Canon & EU fans that EU is so bad after all.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2003 10:42 PM
Julie
The Student

fan fiction.....a big step below real "star wars" writing....but fun to do in spare time nonetheless

Old Post Jan 24th, 2003 12:34 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Origins,etc.

As most of you might already know-that open letter by Mr Lucas appeared in the Star Wars original novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye,the very first of the socalled EU novels(despite having been originally written in 1979).

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2003 11:29 PM
Click here to Send GordonSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by GordonSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

and also NOT the greatest of star wars books.....but those that follow are better.....such as Zahn's trilogy

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2003 03:06 AM
GordonSkywalker
The Watcher

Account Restricted

Yes, there's not much to do with the Rebel Alliance or the Empire in that one- just Luke,Leia,and Darth Vader,plus some "locals".

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2003 05:08 PM
Click here to Send GordonSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by GordonSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote