KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How a lightsaber works.....

How a lightsaber works.....
Started by: Rogue Jedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

How a lightsaber works.....

Here's a cool illustration.....

Attachment: lightsabera.jpg
This has been downloaded 803 time(s).

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 17th, 2003 at 01:56 PM

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 03:45 AM
Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

Cool! Where did you get the picture from?

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 08:06 AM
Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

star wars essential guide to weapons or something like that

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 11:32 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

very very large picture...but thanks anyway

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 05:48 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That is the model of Dr. David West Reynolds sketch of the inside of a sabre from the Visual Dictionary, which I shall provide below. He said:

"I had always wanted to see the inside of a lightsabre, and I had been working on a design for years, this project [SWVD] came along, and I thought, I bet I can get my lightsabre done. So I handed over a detailed design to Don Bies of ILM, and he followed my plan exactly and did a beautiful job of bringing the cutaway sabre to life. It was quite a trip to have an ILM modelmaker executing my design."

He based his description and design of a lightsabre on West End Game's description of one in their Star Wars role-playing game- defintions WEG made up without any reference to Lucasfilm whatsoever.

Bob Brown notes the following about this interpretation of sabre design:

- the crystals are mounted about halfway down - well away from the emitter - they may in fact never be anywhere near the actual sabre blade, which could be generated at the tip.

- the crystals are NOT jewels - they are rough and irregular with NO clear facets and obviously NO simple optical function.

- the crystals SEEM to be some sort of linkage between the power source and the blade generating components.

- the segmented bronze rods in the forward half of the sabre are said to produce the 'gyroscopic' effect ... which may be some sort of field effect designed to contain the blade, or to assist it in its self-containment properties.

It does, of course, contradict the only canonical evidence we have of what is in a lightsabre, but that is not very important as this was never envisaged as anything other than a personal project of Reynold's that ILM agreed to make a model of for him.

(BTW, I shrank the original pic so the thread was still readable)

Attachment: swvd-ls.jpg
This has been downloaded 576 time(s).

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 17th, 2003 at 01:57 PM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2003 01:49 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Bob Brown also notes the similarities with this, equally un-canonical and very contradictory 'inside of a lightsabre' diagramme provided under similar circumstances for the magazine MECHANISMO in the late 70s. Dr Reynolds changed several ideas.

This sabre interpretation apparently had:

- A 'neucleonic pill' power cell (embedded in a 'resinated organic shield') at the base of the hilt

- a series of degausing lenses in the centre of the hilt

- a directional coil assembly (electromagnetic?)

- a 'rubionic' laser crystal

It was an Optical model sabre which even further contradicts the films.

No doubt there will be further EU interpretations of sabres as time goes by...

Attachment: mek-ls3.jpg
This has been downloaded 545 time(s).

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 17th, 2003 01:52 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Here's Maul's, while we're at it. wink

Attachment: anatomy of darth maul's lightsaber.jpg
This has been downloaded 553 time(s).

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 04:24 PM
Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

If you want to see real cool custom lightsabers go here http://www.thesaberworks.com/leftframe.htm

Attachment: intrepid3%20(small).jpg
This has been downloaded 505 time(s).

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 08:50 PM
Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Just to add to what Ushgarak said about the crystal never being anywhere near the part where the blade is projected from-In the back of the Dark Horse comic book entitled Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi The Golden Age of the Sith #0 of 5 there is a really weird picture of a lightsaber. It has a "power cord" attached to the end and teh crystal is shown as a sort of "nozzle" I thought that was really weird

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2003 02:33 PM
Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There are EU sabre shots with crystals sticking out the hilts, aren;t there?

Basically there are a great deal of EU sabre descriptions.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2003 03:11 PM
Darth Revan
-

Why aren't there other "light" weapons like "light axes" or "light pikes?" Looking at the labels in the original picture, there is a sort of dial titled "blade length adjust." It seems like if you found a crystal that was the right shape or chisled one down you could get it to project in a different shape.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:46 AM
Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

there were whipes wink

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 09:23 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Blade length adjust is, again, an invention of West End Games subsequently adopted by the EU.

Other weapons really just don't fit the style of the thing. If you want some logic, though, a lightaxe would be a rubbish weapon- you only made axes in real life if you were using it as a tool rather than a weapon or if you did not have the sophisitication to make a good sword. And pikes are only any good in formation. Jedi normally fight more personally, where the sword is the superior weapon.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 11:39 AM
SlayerChick
Hot Chick w/ Superpowers

Wow, those models look great...

But we all know we'd prefer the real thing sad...

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 10:04 PM
Click here to Send SlayerChick a Private Message Find more posts by SlayerChick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I don't know much at all about this stuff, but wouldn't it technically be possible to create blades of different thicknesses? Depending on style, maybe you'd want a thick blade to go with your powerful wide swings, or maybe a thin blade for speed and versatility?

Or perhaps a rogue Jedi-turned-assassin would carry a lightdagger for close and efficient kills?

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2003 04:55 AM
Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

the blade doesn't really affect much, so I'm not sure what benefit that would bring. The blades are said to be weightless so you really only have to worry about the hilt's weight and all.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2003 07:35 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Actually, in KotOR, there is a crystal that you can add to your saber which makes the blade a little thicker and longer. Still, mephistodesigns is right. The blade is weightless, so a larger blade would not have any effect on your dueling style. I think I read somewhere that the red crystals the Sith use are synthetic, more powerful, and more difficult to control. So, there are things that affect control, but blade size is not one of them. The crystal that I first mentioned would just make it easier to reach your opponent. Here's a question for people to argue about: since a saber blade is weightless, couldn't you theoretically line up a whole bunch of crystals (say 6 or 7) and have a really, really long weapon? The hilt would be quite long, but the idea is that you would only do as many as you could fit in a single hilt.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 02:35 AM
REXXXX
Networking

quote:
Originally posted by SlayerChick1188
Wow, those models look great...

But we all know we'd prefer the real thing sad...

laughing out loud

I could think of some weapons that might be SOMEWHAT good as lightweaponry. But, Jedi being Jedi Knights, I think the lightsaber fits them fine. I've seen ideas for a lightscythe, lighttonfas, and lightmace, though I could see some flaws there. The lightstaff was welcome though...

Also, what do you think of this idea?

Attachment: lightstaff with saberguard.jpg
This has been downloaded 449 time(s).

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 04:31 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Whoah...Sweet...triple-bladed lightthingy of doom!!

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 05:06 AM
Darth Revan
-

And Ush, axes are not only used as tools. Ever heard of a battleaxe? I should hope so, for your sake.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 05:07 AM