KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How a lightsaber works.....

How a lightsaber works.....
Started by: Rogue Jedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
REXXXX
Networking

Trust me, he's heard of a battleaxe...

Though I think I'd prefer a sword to a battleaxe. More agile.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 05:34 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Don't worry, I know that he's heard of a battle axe. But that comment about a light-axe being a "rubbish weapon"....That burns. And yes, a sword is more agile, but an axe is capable of inflicting some pretty severe damage if it is handled properly. Plus, a "light axe" would be much lighter, since the blade would have no weight at all. I agree though, I would still prefer a sword. By the way, what is a "light staff?"

ps: if you were referring to the fact that a light-axe is unrealistic, any "light weapon" is unrealistic.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Last edited by Darth Revan on Nov 14th, 2003 at 11:49 PM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 11:46 PM
Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Revan
And Ush, axes are not only used as tools. Ever heard of a battleaxe? I should hope so, for your sake.

Yes, I have and compared to a sword it is rubbish. That is why everyone stopped using them as soon as they developed swords that would not break. Axes were only used as weapons because iron bent and axes use less metal. Once you had steel- it became swords. Axes became weapons of rarity- very old fashioned.

And cutting power is of no relevance to a lightsabre. You do not need power behind a blow with one.

A Lightaxe is a dreadful idea.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 20th, 2003 11:53 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gotwa
Ring Master

Hmmm.. Atleast you don't have people saying that lightsabers don't have heat. I read a post on one forum about it. Of course, if it doesn't have heat, why is it able to melt and spark against metal? It's simple really. o.o IT has heat. XD I can go in detail.. but.. yknow..

Old Post Dec 6th, 2003 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Gotwa a Private Message Find more posts by Gotwa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No, actually, that's not so dumb to say, looking at the films, that is true, lightsabres do not seem to emit heat- if they were hot enough to cut through doors like that they would burn your hands off when you turned them on. The snow all around on Hoth should have meleted pretty damn fast as well.

Just because something causes metal to melt, does not mean it does it
by being hot. A Microwave cooks without using heat, after all.

Mind you, doesn't do to try and analyze too closely. No matter how it melts that door in TPM, the heat from the melting door itself probably would have set fire to QGJ's clothes, in a realistic sense... as ever, best to hang the sense of it all.

However, if you ARE going to be techy about it...one of the first conclusions you reach is that they are clearly not heat weapons. I shall turn to mad old Bob Brown for this one- you old hands will know who I mean by this guy... shame his site is gone, but I saved it all first!

BTW, Bob Brown liked to shout a lot, so be prepared for a lot of capitals.

"NOT Thermal

The sabre is NOT a thermal effect. At least, if it is, it is CONTAINED. The blade does not put out any discernible heat near its boundary. The hilt is NOT hot. Regardless of excellent insulation technology that probably exists in STARWARS (starship hulls and armour etc) - it must be recognised that the sabre is not a 'heat' weapon.
HOWEVER: objects that have been CUT by a sabre exhibit burn-like symptoms, and MOST cuts on organics are cauterized.

There is clearly a heat-like effect at work within the core of the sabre blade - as you'd expect from a 'pure energy' weapon!

HEAT is simply the excited motion of molecules ... heat MAKES molecules move, and visa-versa if you can make molecules move, you get heat. This is the principle of magnetic-induction cooking ranges - and of microwave ovens. The 'burning' seen on cut objects may not mean that the interior of the blade is 'hot' per se, perhaps it merely excites the molecules during the cutting process!

REGARDING "HOT" SABRES
and that
~ MELTING DOOR ~

A number of people have written to me citing a canonical incident from ''The Phantom Menace'' where a sabre blade is seen to ''melt'' a metal door.

THIS DOES *NOT* PROVE THE BLADE IS *HOT* ... if the action of the blade in destroying the fabric of the metal EXCITES the molecules around the point of destruction, then heat will be INDUCED from this excitement. The door is actually MELTING ITSELF.

This is NOT such a strange notion ... after all, INDUCTION COOKTOPS exist that heat metal saucepans without being ''hot'' themselves ... MICROWAVE OVENS cause heat in food without actually pumping "heat" at them, they simply EXCITE the molecules within the food ... if you apply a metal-file to a work-piece of metal, BOTH get hot, but NEITHER was hot to start with!

in short: you dont need HEAT to make something HOT! :^)"

-

You know, I don't think he needed to put 'Microwave Ovens' in caps... still, the guy is mad, but he did the best analysis of sabres ever. And his point is well made, you don't need to be hot to make something heat.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 6th, 2003 at 11:00 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2003 10:55 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VengeanceGOD

Back to the lightaxes for a minute, I heard a strange rumor that someone would be using one in Episode III. Probably crap, but interesting.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2003 11:23 PM
Click here to Send VengeanceGOD a Private Message Find more posts by VengeanceGOD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gotwa
Ring Master

Oh and for the heat, it's only emitted on touch, I don't know if I mentioned that. But you do debate well. smile

As for the lightaxe, it's probably fan-made ideas.

-edit- The molecules of the lightsaber blade move at such an increased speed it would tear apart the others of the more solid objects. Just a hint. That's where the heat is from.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2003 12:37 AM
Click here to Send Gotwa a Private Message Find more posts by Gotwa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ah well, I have a lot to thank Bob Brown for when it comes to sabres. He even listed the exact amount of frames it took every sabre to turn on or off in the first three films and TPM. He must have had a lot of time on his hands.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 7th, 2003 12:57 AM
Darth Revan
-

Excuse me for my ignorance on the issue of non-existant weapons.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2003 05:21 AM
Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gotwa
Ring Master

Now now, the lightaxe existed, and a lightstaff is simple, but kinda hard... the.. okay i dunno about the staff.. but.. yknow embarrasment

Old Post Dec 8th, 2003 09:56 PM
Darth Revan
-

*is confused* I was talking about the fact that there is no such thing as a "light weapon" of any kind.... therefore it is somewhat stupid to argue so fervantly about how they work, etc

Old Post Dec 8th, 2003 11:46 PM
REXXXX
Networking

That's just because you're wrong. stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 8th, 2003 11:57 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

*is still confused* What's because I'm wrong

Old Post Dec 9th, 2003 02:57 AM
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

those aren't real right?

Made by the awesome transforming Hegemon
Don't mess with The Force, because I ownz you. -The Force

Crazy Christian all over your candy arse.

Old Post May 12th, 2004 05:48 PM
Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anakin skwlkr

does any one know if this can be done.........can a light sabre be created?

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 04:13 AM
Click here to Send anakin skwlkr a Private Message Find more posts by anakin skwlkr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthMandalore
Mandalorian Sith Lord

there are such things as Vibroblades and Vibroaxes.

and, yes it is possble to create a lightsaber, just because we don't know how wiith our knowledge right now, doesn't mean it can't be done in the future.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 05:46 AM
Click here to Send DarthMandalore a Private Message Find more posts by DarthMandalore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miroku

the website is closed i checked it out.. the blades looked cool tho

Miroku: i'll have to open up the wind tunnel it's the only way

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 05:21 AM
Click here to Send miroku a Private Message Find more posts by miroku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kyron Dotuue

Question Lightsaber: is it possible?

I know I'm new here, but does anyone know whether or not it is possible to create anything in today's world that is anything like a lightsaber? I thought about a cutting torch type device, with the flame extended to be a little longer. But that idea got shut down because of all the equipment invovled in a cutting torch

Old Post Jul 5th, 2005 01:40 AM
Click here to Send Kyron Dotuue a Private Message Find more posts by Kyron Dotuue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kyron Dotuue

Hey is anyone there? anyone at all?

Old Post Jul 5th, 2005 01:51 AM
Click here to Send Kyron Dotuue a Private Message Find more posts by Kyron Dotuue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kyron Dotuue

OK. Guess I'll blast off then. May the force be with you all.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2005 01:52 AM