KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Downloads

Downloads
Started by: finti

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

Downloads

For reasons unknown to me I cant download video files, or they are downloaded but instead of being showed in windows media the dvd player pops up. My question is if there are any way I can overrule this action. When I start to download it used to ask what file I wanted to downlod it to, that doesent happen any more. It seems to "know" where it will be put. I`ve noticed the problem when I tried to download the DVD commercial of EPI of TFN. Any suggestion

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 04:33 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Sounds like you have a file association issue my friend. Unfortunately you don't say which type of video file but as it's media player I guess it is mpg, avi or asf.

What has happened is that you have set up an asociation with one of those file types to you DVD software.

There are several solutions. If you just want to associate a particular type of file with media player then method one is easiest, assuming you have a file of the type you want to asscoiate on you HDD.

1. Find a file of the type (ASP. MPG, AVI) in windows explorer.
  2. Click the file once to highlight it.
  3. Hold down the CTRL key and click the right hand mouse button on the file.
  4. You will have an extra option in the context menu call "Open With" - Choose this.
  5. A new menu box will open, scroll down until you find Microsoft (R) Media Player
  6. Highlight the Media player, click the checkbox for "Always use this program...." and click OK. You have just associated you file type with a program.

Alternately, you can manually edit the filetype associations.

1. Open Windows Exploder...
  2. From the menu choose Tool -> Folder Options
  3. Choose the file types tab
  4. Find the extention for the filetype you are trying to play.
  5. You can delete the actions or edit them.
  6. Typically, if you want to play using Media player the program line is "CermProgram Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /Play "%L"
  7. This can get a little tricky, especially if you have installed Media Player in a different location.
  8. I would not recommend it.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 04:47 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing Thanks for the help RC. Fumbling around with your guidance I right clicked on the media wideo players icon and under properties I found out that the mpeg box was not checked. It all works fine now. With out your help RC I would still be in the dark!!!!!!! rolling on floor laughing smile

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 06:07 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Oh, I see, go for the easy solution!!! I was saving those for later... laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 06:21 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

We shoudl give RC his own Support Forum. big grin

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 08:55 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Been there, done that!!! laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 09:42 PM
finti

Pepsi max never did that big grin

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 09:57 PM
Ratcat

NO, but I did. rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 10:00 PM
finti

damn I still get e-mails even though I checked no in the box . confused confused

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 10:10 PM
Ratcat

Ush said the same thing...

Old Post Jul 31st, 2001 10:19 PM
queeq
Chaos

No probs here. But I never selected it before. Maybe that's causing the problem.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2001 07:39 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Thats why I went in to change it I got a ton of e-mails. All the replys to posts where I posted.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2001 07:45 AM
Ratcat

Ah, that may be under a different section. You have set "Use 'Email Notification' by default?" to no now I assume.

Check in "My vB Home" to make sure you haven't subscribed to any threads of forums there.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2001 07:48 AM
finti

yes to your first question
no subsription to the other.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2001 07:53 AM
queeq
Chaos

Quite strange that some have it and other don't.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2001 08:05 AM
Ratcat

You're screwed then. laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 1st, 2001 08:09 AM
queeq
Chaos

Ooops.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2001 08:41 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's still happening; I am snowed under with mails. I didn't even set the option in the first place; it was on by default.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 4th, 2001 02:24 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Very frustrating. I am now scrolling my e mail.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 10:26 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Did this ever get sorted?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2001 10:48 PM