KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top 100 Guitarists by Rolling Stone

Top 100 Guitarists by Rolling Stone
Started by: Difrycheulyd

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
plenTpak52
Pinball Wizard

quote:
Originally posted by finti
Hmm no Tommy Bolin and no Steve How

Yea Steve Howe is a great guitarist, but if you watch some of their concerts, he can't (or at least doesn't) really improvise. Either way, the man can pull of some of the most complicated riffs of all time!

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 08:24 AM
plenTpak52 is currently offline Click here to Send plenTpak52 a Private Message Find more posts by plenTpak52 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChickinMeat

no suprise jimi hendrix won..... hes so over-rated its untrue.

and why is the dude from the white stripes in so high? he is crap compared to many of those players, and dimebag darrel and john petrucci are not even on the poll.

i disagree with this list

http://www.myspace.com/chickinmeat

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 09:01 PM
ChickinMeat is currently offline Click here to Send ChickinMeat a Private Message Find more posts by ChickinMeat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

Dimebag Darrel sucks.... sounds fast... but trust me it's simple to play.

And leave Hendrix alone!!!!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 09:10 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Loot

i disagree with the list

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 09:47 PM
Loot is currently offline Click here to Send Loot a Private Message Find more posts by Loot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darnold

whats up! you guys taken a listen to the Rave ups doing "Smokestack Lightning."? these guys are amazing, just like townshend only better, imo! anyway its pretty much the coolest tone ever. they're in you tube! - there's some theraveups video on there.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2006 03:35 AM
darnold is currently offline Click here to Send darnold a Private Message Find more posts by darnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
acerods

George Harrison above Mike Bloomfield??? Give me fuggin break!!!
Mike should be in the top 10 to be sure. Some of the guys on this list couldn't carry his guitar case.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2010 01:14 AM
acerods is currently offline Click here to Send acerods a Private Message Find more posts by acerods Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cathoderoy

LOU REED is a better guitarist than Todd Rundgren???!!
It fascinates me that a "music" publication like Rolling Stone is so ignorant about music...WTF do they have against Todd, anyway? They won't nominate him for consideration to be in the rock and roll hall of fame, not they he needs to be validated by that ridiculous rag, anyway...

Old Post Nov 24th, 2012 04:45 AM
cathoderoy is currently offline Click here to Send cathoderoy a Private Message Find more posts by cathoderoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

This list was biased toward classic rock and seemed to favor fame over actual talent. Not the worst list I've ever seen, but there are too few names from the last twenty years and almost no names from Heavy Metal (I mean real metal, not Hard Rock or Glam).

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2012 05:14 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Re: Top 100 Guitarists by Rolling Stone

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Difrycheulyd
11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica

Hells yeah. thumb up

Originally posted by Difrycheulyd
75 Adam Jones of Tool
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

Cool seeing those guys on there. Should be higher up, though. smile

Old Post Nov 26th, 2012 04:55 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
movie1

I honestly don't know what people saw in Jimi Hendrix.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2013 05:27 PM
movie1 is currently offline Click here to Send movie1 a Private Message Find more posts by movie1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insomniatric
The Spider

No Tom Morello or Bradley Nowell?

edit: just noticed how old this topic is.

Sig and Avatar made by Steverules_2 (Thank you!)

Old Post Mar 27th, 2013 06:11 PM
Insomniatric is currently offline Click here to Send Insomniatric a Private Message Find more posts by Insomniatric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ja9898

Slash(Soul Hudson) is the Best Guitarist ever. He is not in the list, So this means that this list is BULL SHIT.....................!!!!!!!!! Jimi Hendrix is not so good

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2013 01:35 AM
ja9898 is currently offline Click here to Send ja9898 a Private Message Find more posts by ja9898 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie682
Restricted

Account Restricted

If it was the 100 greatest musicians my first would be Pete Townshend of The Who

Oakley Sunglasses

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2013 02:26 AM
Julie682 is currently offline Click here to Send Julie682 a Private Message Find more posts by Julie682 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Omega Vision
This list was biased toward classic rock and seemed to favor fame over actual talent. Not the worst list I've ever seen, but there are too few names from the last twenty years and almost no names from Heavy Metal (I mean real metal, not Hard Rock or Glam).
thumb up

Metal, of all kinds, boasts some of the most impressive guitarists to ever grace the planet.

Also, where the **** is Buckethead.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 08:40 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

In terms of technical ability and ability to compose good guitar tracks, more than two-thirds of the people on this list couldn't even share a stage with the likes of Steve Vai, who's not even listed. Or Joe Satriani for that matter--how can you ignore him?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 01:51 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

The list is broken.

Its a 'units sold' list rather than an 'artistic/technical/historic' merit list.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 10:23 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Omega Vision
In terms of technical ability and ability to compose good guitar tracks, more than two-thirds of the people on this list couldn't even share a stage with the likes of Steve Vai, who's not even listed. Or Joe Satriani for that matter--how can you ignore him?

Huh, you're right. It's weird, I could have sworn both were on the list, albeit somewhere in the 80s for some reason.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 10:38 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I was aware that Ike Turner played guitar, but did he do anything that justifies him being in this list, or hell, in a Top 500 or Top 1000 list?

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 12:27 AM
NemeBro

He was playing music in the 60's I guess.

Being an crusty ass old man (No offense Robtard, if you read this) seems to be a big pro in one's favor in this list.

I want to know how Kurt Cobain made it into the top ****ing 15. Perhaps being dead is also a big plus.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2013 09:50 AM
Omega Vision

In terms of influence, Cobain is more deserving than a lot of people on this list. His style of playing may not necessarily have been the first of its kind, but for a lot of people who first started playing music in the 90s, Cobain was preaching a new gospel with his strings. You have to look at who was on the board making the list. Pretty sure I saw a lot of Cobain's contemporaries (Billy Corgan, the guy from Weezer) and a lot of people who got their start just as Nirvana was getting big.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2013 06:28 PM