KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Desert Island FIlms

Desert Island FIlms
Started by: leonglee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonglee

Shocked Desert Island FIlms

I'd be interested to know what everyone's 5 desert island films are. That is basically assuming you have a cinema/DVD player while stranded on your desert island! I don't think they have necessarily got to be cinematically the greatest films of all times, just 5 films you can't live without and why, here goes:
1) The Empire Strikes Back. My favourite of the four because it has so many facets and that revelation.
2) The Godfather. Though many think Godfather 2 is a better film and I can see why, I can watch the first over and over again.
3) Pulp Fiction. One of the best scripts ever written!
4) Schindler's List. To remind me what humans are capable of.
5) Citizen Kane. Not taking this would be like not taking Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or the full works of Shakespeare with you. cool

Old Post Aug 8th, 2001 01:08 PM
leonglee is currently offline Click here to Send leonglee a Private Message Find more posts by leonglee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

1. American Beauty
2. Alien
3. Best of Show
4. South Park- Bigger Longer and Uncut
5. Die Hard

Old Post Aug 8th, 2001 03:30 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I'll leave the four SW films out because they would be the top four. These aren't in any order of preference.

1. Zulu - Just incase I get invaded by an army of angry locals, this film will show me what to do.

2. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - The second best story George Lucas has ever written.

3. The Usual Suspects - Brilliant, simple as that.

4. The Shawshank Redemption - To put me in a good mood.

5. Saving Private Ryan - It's just a great film.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2001 03:44 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FLIPMODE

1-Die hard
2- E.T.
3-Jurassic Park
4-Mission Impossible
5-Forrest Gump

Old Post Aug 8th, 2001 09:33 PM
FLIPMODE is currently offline Click here to Send FLIPMODE a Private Message Find more posts by FLIPMODE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Hey Flipmode, I couldn't help noticing that you selected Die Hard as one of your desert movies. It's my all time favorite action movie. A couple of weeks ago I was in Century City, and I got to go into that actual skyscraper. It's called Fox Tower and it looks much smaller in person. Oh, a cool little side note, the security guard told me that Florence Shapiro, OJ's defense attorney, has an office in that building on the 15th floor. Just thought I'd share! smile

Old Post Aug 9th, 2001 05:31 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

What do you think of Die Hard 2 and 3? I really like all three.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2001 05:55 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FLIPMODE

WOW, Texas, that is cool. It's smaller?...Aw man, now my dreams are ruined.

But Yeah, Die Hard is the best action movie ever created. Look at all the clones that were spawned. The Part Bruce Willis got, allowed ANYBODY, to be a possible action star. Not Just Arnold and Sly. And Lets Face it, nobody had the Sarcasm that Willis had back then. He kind of Invented the whole attitude, especially in a "Die Hard" situation.

I loved that fact that, for the first time, I was wacthing a movie, where the hero, did'nt WANT to be there, did'nt have any real vendettas', and was'nt there to take someone out, like he was invincible. So the character was a a first for action. As for the action, it's very climactic, and very tense. I mean the movie was done a heck of a lot more realistically then anything I've seen at the time. When something exploded, he got hurt, when he steps in glass, it actually hurts him, AND he has to take the time to take it out of his foot. Amazing he's human.

At the same time the movie is not so real that it's slow paced and boring, it's stays up there with all the best action.

And it's the only movie where I would give all the Supporting cast some award. Everyone was good. EVERYONE. From Hans to Argyle the Shoufer. And Alan Rickman, probably played his best role in this, and in Robinhood prince of thieves.

And the Story was designed so perfect, there were no holes. one of the best examples of that, I think(a great scene), where John, runs into Hans, and Hans plays like a hostage who escaped. Again Amazin. I remember people in the audience saying "shoot him, shoot him". LOL. But there was no way for John to be Sure it was Hans, because they've never seen each other. And Hans fakes, a californian accent. I was floored by that.

Best Story, Best setting (an office building? amazing), best hero best villain, best action.

Die Hard 2: I loved it.
Why I think in way's it's better than the First: Action wise, alot of cool things were done. Nothing tops the Plane fuel explosion at the End, which also makes the Runway Lights for the Landing planes. Im sorry, but no action movie can top that one. The scene with the grenandes, in the plane...OMG!!, who thought of that?? That is one of the best scenes ever thought of. Period.
HUGE plot twist. The good guys, ARE the bad guys...but not until your half way through the movie. That's something no one expected. And makes this movie stand on it's own, when compared to the first.

Why It will never be better than the first: The Setting is not as good. Some of the sets seem,...well like Sets. Needed a little more realism, only in some places though. And basically it came after Die Hard 1. The main villain is some what Low Key, but if you think about it, who can best Alan Rickman as hans as a Villain?

I have to give to renny harlin, he made a great sequel.

Die Hard: With a Vengeance. I dont want to Spend to much time nitpicking this movie, but I must say, It was different. I do Like it, but not better than the first 2. Im glad Mctiernan came back to Direct. And I really Liked Sam jackson. But what Probably made this movie suffer the most, is what Part 2 ALOMST suffered from. A Weak villain. Part 2 redeamed itself because the villains were there all along, you just did'nt know it. In Psrt 3, Simon was weak. And too bent on Reveange, ala the title. But he gave John too many chances, if he was really angry, he just would haved sniped him. So simon was just a mental case. I did enjoy the violence in this one, all the blood, and the scene when they jumped off the bridge. Alot of good dialogue in here that is very funny, which brings us back to the feel of part 1. Part 1 had plenty of great dialogue and was very funny at times. I think that is the main difference between Renny harlin, and john Mctiernen.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2001 06:30 PM
FLIPMODE is currently offline Click here to Send FLIPMODE a Private Message Find more posts by FLIPMODE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I didn't like the ending to Die Hard 3. The movie seemed to stop and then they decided "well we have to kill the bad guy" so they added it at the end. It just seems disjointed.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2001 03:33 PM
FLIPMODE

I agree, the ending was very humble compared to the Rest of the Movie. Anyone have it on DVD? Im sure there are alot of missing scenes.

Im also kind of upset that the title was changed from "Die Hard:New York". I just Liked the sound Of that.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2001 04:30 PM
KJ
Sausages

Nah, With a Vengance is cool. Are they going to make Die Hard four?

Old Post Aug 11th, 2001 04:50 PM
Ratcat

1. When Harry Met Sally - Classically funny
  2. The Breakfast Club - Just a cool film
  3. Singing in the Rain - Gene Kelly; Say no more...
  4. Deep Impact - A good special effects movie with powerful, character written drama underwritten
  5. Four Weddings and a Funeral - <ust have seen it 15 times at the cinema

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:10 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sand person no. 10
where are the other nine

1 the sting - funny, good story and twists
2 the italien job - mini's racing around turin, is there anything more fun
3 raiders of the lost ark - of all 3 indi films the most realistic and though provoking
4 fight club - funny, serious, brilliant twist and ed norton's the best actor i've seen
5 shawshank redemption - say no more

Old Post Aug 13th, 2001 08:15 PM
sand person no. 10 is currently offline Click here to Send sand person no. 10 a Private Message Find more posts by sand person no. 10 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonglee

Question

If I had allowed myself 10 votes, I think the Shawshank Redemption and Raiders would feature in there somewhere. Fight Club was brilliant wasn't it? Fresh, irreverent and wonderfully shot. Very unbelieavable though!!! smokin'

Old Post Aug 16th, 2001 12:29 PM
leonglee is currently offline Click here to Send leonglee a Private Message Find more posts by leonglee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zereil
Scoundrel

hmm, I've acted in the 1st performance of the breakfast club stage edition anyway akin to everyone else missing out star wars

1) Dogma
2) Chasing Amy
3) Mallrats
4) Matix
5) Blade

these arent all necessarily the films I'd say were th best ever but the 5 I'd keep watching on a desert island...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2001 09:22 AM
Zereil is currently offline Click here to Send Zereil a Private Message Find more posts by Zereil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

1. All four SW just because they are great
2. All three Indiana Jones movies
3. Wariors
4. Soap(Peter Sellers) extremely funny
5. All Pink Panther movies .

This way I got a bunch of films to watch on an desert Island, and then I would have kicked Robinson Cruso and Tom Hanks ass.
No volleyball for me no way. big grin

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2001 07:10 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DARTH LORAC

Here is my list

1. Crouching Tiger, Hiden Dragon. Best movie that I have seen all year.

2. Schindlers list. Just a reminder of what man is capable of.

3. Leon ( full international version) This film has everything. brilliant and thoughtful story. Characters that you admire and love. As well as brilliant action sequences.

4. The matrix. Science fiction as it should be. Thinking mans science fiction or as close as we will ever get to it on film.

5.Trading places. Need somthing to make you laugh. Easily one of the funniest movies ever made.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2001 10:36 PM
DARTH LORAC is currently offline Click here to Send DARTH LORAC a Private Message Find more posts by DARTH LORAC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Since we now know what everyones five favorite movies are, lets turn things around and ask what five movies would you never want to be stuck on a desert island with. Mine would have to be:
1.Blank Man
2.Star Ship Troopers
3.Robo Cop 3
4.Warriors of Virtue (dont ask)
5.Jingle All the Way

Old Post Aug 25th, 2001 03:44 AM
KJ
Sausages

1. The Matrix (stupid and boring)
2. Titanic (no comment)
3. The Thin Red Line (one of the worst films I've ever seen)
4. Any Tarantino movie.
5. Total Recall

I'd add Terminator 2 to my list that I would take with me because I watched it last night and remembered how great it is. smile

Old Post Aug 25th, 2001 05:17 PM
Tex
Yumsz

OMG, I love all those movies *Faints in disbelief* confused

Old Post Aug 25th, 2001 05:47 PM
KJ
Sausages

We better avoid each other then. Or this could get messy! laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 25th, 2001 07:42 PM