KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » jobs

jobs
Started by: jedi212guy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just make sure you test it first; I do have a friend right now who is stuck with a DOS system because the start-up disk drivers didn't seem to work with his cd-drive, and the boot from cd option didn't seem to work at ALL...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:36 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Oh definately. Still, doesn't take much to fix up as long as you know what you're doing.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:40 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
phinney6
consiglieri

Ohh to bad

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:40 AM
phinney6 is currently offline Click here to Send phinney6 a Private Message Find more posts by phinney6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, he is stuck with a Windows 3.11 system. But the principle is the same.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:42 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

AKA, a rather large paperweight!!! laughing out loud big grin

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:43 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Orpheus

For what it is worth I have always found formatting the hard disk to be the most suitable method of ensuring everything has been removed from the machine before you hand it over.

Just make sure that the machine will boot from the cd, it is possible to test this with windows installed.

Assuming you have a full windows installation disk or a bootable rescue cd then you should be able to fully reinstall windows on to a clean hard disk that you can be sure contains no personnal info.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:44 AM
Orpheus is currently offline Click here to Send Orpheus a Private Message Find more posts by Orpheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And it is actually Orphues here who is clocking the problem for my paperweighted freind, by simply copying the Win 98 cab files onto his hard drive...

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:46 AM
Ratcat

And DON'T do a quick format, it only deletes the F.A.T, data can still be retieved with progs like Disk Doctor.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:46 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Mind you, it's not as if it's going to be worked over by professionals.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:49 AM
Orpheus

I couldn't agree more R.C.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 12:52 AM
Orpheus is currently offline Click here to Send Orpheus a Private Message Find more posts by Orpheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

What's the difference between a quick format and a "non-quick format" ??????

The only command I know is C:>format

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:16 AM
keokiswahine is currently offline Click here to Send keokiswahine a Private Message Find more posts by keokiswahine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I think you will be fine if you just delete the stuff like I said, unless you think this person will do an exhasutive search of your drives.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:17 AM
keokiswahine
Confusion

no, she's not a computer guru, nor is her dad. I just don't want someone to be able to extract stuff, like my credit card numbers accidently. I trust her, but don't know who else (her friends) who would be doing their school papers on it.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:21 AM
keokiswahine is currently offline Click here to Send keokiswahine a Private Message Find more posts by keokiswahine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, do the format if it makes you feel better. The uninstall, remove, deltree and re-install was all I ever did. Nit as if I quite have your professional life, though.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:24 AM
keokiswahine
Confusion

meeeeeeee??????????? I don't keep very much work stuff on my home computer. Mostly I shop online, so all my account numbers need to be removed. I'll start downloading tonight. and I would like to reformat it tomorrow. Will you folks be around to walk me through this?

Can someone tell me how to do that quick check to see if my cd will regenerate the hard drive? confused big grin

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:29 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's nothing to with regenerating the hard drive. The trick is to see whether your cd will work in DOS without Windows. If it doesn't then you will not be able to re-install Windows once it is removed!

Load the computer in dos mode (don't simply use a Windows dos box; if you know how to do it then the 'cleanest' option is to use Step by Step confirmation to load DOS from the Start-up menu (just say yes to everything)) and see if you have a d: drive (or whatever your cd should be).

Alternatively, set the BIOS to boot from the cd drive, if this can be done. Then leave the cd in the drive, re-boot and see if the CD boot works; it it does, put the setting back to normal when you are done.

If either of these things work, then you can access the cd once Windows is removed and re-install it.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:35 AM
keokiswahine
Confusion

oh, dear, Ush, you kinda lost me. I don't know much of anything about the BIOS.

When I go to start, and click onto dos, and get c:>, am I in dos/dos or in win/dos???

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:41 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

So long as you never loaded windows you should be in proper dos. Selecting it from the Star Menu isn't much good.

The BIOS is simpler than it looks; 'Boot from CD' may well just be an option in there.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:45 AM
keokiswahine
Confusion

Win95 was preloaded on it when I bought it, I believe.

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My eyes were itching, so I rubbed them, and it got itchier, and I rubbed them more. Now, their totally blood shot and swollen and filled with red gooooo, and sore. Then, I remembered I had been playing with the cat. Must be cat-dust in my eyes now. I pumped some allergy eye drops in them, so I may hafta wait for some miracle to happen. eek! eek! eek!

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 01:57 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ah, sorry. I didn;t mean loaded on the system; I meant loaded up after you turn on the computer.

If you press F8 when the 'Starting Windows 95' text appears, you should get a list of options.

Select 'Step by Step confirmation' and just say yes to everything (UNLESS it has an opttion 'WIN'; saying yes to that will just load windows. Say no to that).

This shoud leave you in Dos mode, without Windows, and with any drivers that could be loaded now loaded.

Now is the time to check wheteher you can access your cd-drive.

Alternatively, a Start-Up disk may be helpful here, though I never had much truck with them. If nothing else, one may well have the drivers you need on it.

Booting from the cd is actually the much simpler option, if you can brave the BIOS to set it.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 12th, 2001 02:03 AM