KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » What's the best Sci Fi film ever made?

best science fiction movie?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
star wars 88 67.69%
2001: a space odissety 23 17.69%
Blade runner 19 14.62%
Total: 130 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What's the best Sci Fi film ever made?
Started by: Tex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

If I have to take just one, it's 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was the film that finally made Sci-Fi a respected genre. And Star Wars would quantum-leap it's popularity nine years later.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 24th, 2006 05:36 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jediheroluke
your new empire

i agree with the ladys grim there are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many ST movies

Old Post Mar 28th, 2006 05:23 PM
jediheroluke is currently offline Click here to Send jediheroluke a Private Message Find more posts by jediheroluke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cramunit
Bovine University Grad

Being someone who enjoys cinematography and mood over action and storyline, I'd have to go with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2006 11:58 AM
cramunit is currently offline Click here to Send cramunit a Private Message Find more posts by cramunit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zilverz

The poll on here is a joke. But most people, like myself, will continue to read the thread to maybe get lucky and find someone mention a sci-fi gem that they might not have seen already. Im not proclaiming any of these are the greatest of all time, just some of my personal favorites:

In no particular order:

The One
Thirteenth Floor
The Matrix
Event Horizon
FreeJack
Aliens
Predator
Terminator 1,2
The Abyss
Minority Report
Gattaca
Chronicals of Riddick

id be interested in some recommendations .. any good SciFi imports ?

Old Post Apr 1st, 2006 12:06 AM
Zilverz is currently offline Click here to Send Zilverz a Private Message Find more posts by Zilverz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zilverz
The One

I'm surprised you named that. I quite enjoyed The One, it was a short fun action flick. People tend to compare it with Jet Li's other films and look down on it though.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2006 12:10 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

My favourite at the moment would be "Gattaca".

Old Post Apr 1st, 2006 05:58 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zilverz

Originally posted by Wolfie
I'm surprised you named that. I quite enjoyed The One, it was a short fun action flick. People tend to compare it with Jet Li's other films and look down on it though.

it is my fav jet li film .. i like the whole "yourself dying in another dimension strengths the remaining versions of yourself" great acting .. great special effects great soundtrack

Old Post Apr 1st, 2006 07:53 AM
Zilverz is currently offline Click here to Send Zilverz a Private Message Find more posts by Zilverz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metallikid
The Joker

Recently ive been really into the alien trilogy so at the moment my favourite sci fi film is Aliens smile

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 02:00 PM
Metallikid is currently offline Click here to Send Metallikid a Private Message Find more posts by Metallikid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

While both 2001: a space odyssey and Star Wars are visually stunning and musically-inspiring films, 2001 wins. Why?
1. Star Wars is pure fantasy. 2001 was a realistic/could-happen depiction of the future (from 1968's POV).
2. In Star Wars, aliens were a dime-a-dozen (ho-hum). 2001 still depicts the most realistic version of a First Contact--you never even see the aliens, allowing the viewer's imagination to step in.
3. Overall, Star Wars presents as simpler and childlike (Not childish), which no doubt accounts for much of its popularity...it's basically easier to grasp. 2001 requires more intelligence to understand, thus adding to its mystery and realism.
When Star Wars grows up, it'll be 2001 (no offense to SW fans).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 02:48 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Winter Soldier
Who cares...

If you count Star Wars then duh...I personally think Star wars is more fantasy than SciFi. If you're not counting SW, then...

1. Matrix
2. Terminator 2
3. I, Robot
4. Terminator 1
5. Chronicles of Riddick

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species that I realized you aren't actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. And the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we...are the cure.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 09:59 PM
Winter Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Winter Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Winter Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

I'm sure its been mentioned, but I really love Total Recall.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 10:36 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beam
~Destruction Absolute~

enemy mine can't really think of anything else it's really well written.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2006 07:32 PM
Beam is currently offline Click here to Send Beam a Private Message Find more posts by Beam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jediheroluke
your new empire

star wars is the best movie ever made

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 02:37 AM
jediheroluke is currently offline Click here to Send jediheroluke a Private Message Find more posts by jediheroluke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zilverz

Originally posted by Myth
I'm sure its been mentioned, but I really love Total Recall.

Total recall is an awesome SCiFi.. one of my personal favorites Arnold has a lot of good 80s stuff

The Thing cant be left out

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 07:51 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Zilverz
it is my fav jet li film .. i like the whole "yourself dying in another dimension strengths the remaining versions of yourself" great acting .. great special effects great soundtrack

I concur.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 04:24 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lookaway

How about Dune? Way better book than movie, but still one of my favorites.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2006 06:39 PM
Lookaway is currently offline Click here to Send Lookaway a Private Message Find more posts by Lookaway Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
systemshock2

I have an affinity to Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. (But of course you'll could probably tell that by my sig). I think it's the best of all the Star Trek's, and one of the best Sci-Fi film's ever made. Great story, great acting, a great villain, and a theme that hits very close to home. It was absolutely beautiful how they made a topic like the cold war, and everything it entails, fit so perfectly within the star trek universe.

Best rivalry ever!

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 02:15 AM
systemshock2 is currently offline Click here to Send systemshock2 a Private Message Find more posts by systemshock2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1953)

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 04:01 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Alpha
anomaly

Terminator 2
Star Wars
The Matrix

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 04:08 PM
The Alpha is currently offline Find more posts by The Alpha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koenig

ALIEN my number one film.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2006 11:45 AM
Koenig is currently offline Click here to Send Koenig a Private Message Find more posts by Koenig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote