KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Whats better Marvel or DC.

Whats better Marvel or DC.
Started by: Rawcus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

This is a highly generalized question. Are we talking about the comics, the TV series, the movies...

Overall, if I had to choose one universe, it would be the Marvel one. But I'm still a fan of Batman, on his own. big grin

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Sep 28th, 2013 11:53 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

DC for the overall comics and Television.
Marvel for the movies (for now).
Video games is close, but DC has had better ones recently.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 12:05 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

The Flash is my #1 favorite and Gambit is my #2 but over all I think I would stand with marvel.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 12:25 AM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

How is this even close? DC has Batman and Superman, and that's about it. Marvel by a whole hell of a lot.

"Put him in a straightjacket, the man's sick!"

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 05:06 AM
SpaceMonkey is currently offline Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Marvel. Not even close. Dc is a joke compared to marvel.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 05:19 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Comics: Both are equally bad and good right now.
Movies: Marvel
TV: DC

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 05:25 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
Marvel. Not even close. Dc is a joke compared to marvel.

DC is highly relevant. How are they a joke?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 07:09 AM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Movies: Marvel. DC sucks at movies, Nolan's Batman trilogy aside. And they chose Ben ****ing Afleck as the next Batman. So..

Comics: Matter of opinion, but I, personnally, prefer Marvel

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 07:36 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
How is this even close? DC has Batman and Superman, and that's about it. Marvel by a whole hell of a lot.

Your opinion, but their sales don't reflect that.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 08:06 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

DC, no question about it.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 08:28 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Golgo13

Who gives a shit about their sales.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Comics: Both are equally bad and good right now.

Agree with this.

Last edited by Kazenji on Sep 29th, 2013 at 08:49 AM

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 08:47 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

Justin Bieber has sold millions. Sales don't reflect quality, man. I do, however, respect your opinion, and I will be in line for Batman/Superman.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2013 11:22 PM
SpaceMonkey is currently offline Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Justin Bieber has sold millions. Sales don't reflect quality, man. I do, however, respect your opinion, and I will be in line for Batman/Superman.

Marvel actually gets the sales (mostly), but my point is that DC still has some good/profitable properties. From Teen Titans (when it's good), JLA, Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, (At one point it was selling more than any Marvel book), JSA, etc...

DC is much more than Batman/Superman and they're not even my favorite characters of that universe.

You may not like any other character, but that doesn't mean "that's all they have". DC has had more critical acclaimed runs than Marvel (IMO) and they lead in the award category as well.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2013 12:31 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

DC is much more than Batman/Superman and they're not even my favorite characters of that universe.

Well that's all DC/Warner Bro's is when it comes to movies Batman/Superman....yeah i know they've dabbled with some other properties such as Green Lantern, Constantine & Jonah Hex.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2013 06:33 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Right now, I feel Marvel's comics *and* movie divisions are doing far better than their competition.

DC's able to do high-sale events, but with author changes and direction changes they bleed off sales fast, and most stuff outside a few core titles isn't doing well. Marvel's able to retain sales much better and consistently provide longer comic runs allowing writers to develop things more.

DC's less diverse in the tone/'voice' of it's comics than Marvel, so people tend to cluster around a smaller number of books. Marvel's very good at remembering even when there's a big change, some won't like it, so they always provide an alternative to appeal to more readers, and thus their sales remain higher and they retain more people. Tend to use minor characters well a lot more too, often building them up, rather than treating non-big name characters as disposable.

On the flip side, I'd say DC's TV area has the edge. Agents of SHIELD may change this, but DC's Arrow is well received, Teen Titans Go is doing well, they've got a new Batman series...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2013 06:46 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Kazenji
Well that's all DC/Warner Bro's is when it comes to movies Batman/Superman....yeah i know they've dabbled with some other properties such as Green Lantern, Constantine & Jonah Hex.

They could have good money making properties (at least on the level of X-Men/Cap) if they had some good direction and writing. Constantine and Hex aren't good examples, obviously. stick out tongue

Man of Steel did very well at the box office and the success will only grow once Batman comes in the mix. A good way to bring even more characters and show them off.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2013 09:29 PM
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

Man of Steel did very well at the box office and the success will only grow once Batman comes in the mix. A good way to bring even more characters and show them off.

The potential is there, no doubt. The hard part, which Marvel has done, hence their current superiority, is making those movies a successful reality.

Golgo, we're not discussing who has more or older characters, this forum is called Comic Book "Movies". And seriously as of now, not 5 or 10 years from now, today, Marvel is miles ahead of DC in that aspect. I REALLY hope DC gets their head out of their a$$ and consistently competes so Marvel can up THEIR game thus making ALL comic book movie fans happy. No more Catwoman or Green Lantern mockeries. There is a wealth of stories there, but they fail at every turn, other than Nolan's Batman and MoS. Like when WWF/WWE had competition. They had better shows and storylines, but without anything to compete against, WWE became stale. I hope that doesn't happen here. I HOPE TO GOD a good Justice League movie can happen, I'm rooting for it. The problem is that it takes more than 1 or 2 movies to catch up to where Marvel is. You must see that.

PEACE

Old Post Oct 1st, 2013 03:23 AM
Senor Cage

The potential is there, no doubt. The hard part, which Marvel has done, hence their current superiority, is making those movies a successful reality.

Golgo, we're not discussing who has more or older characters, this forum is called Comic Book "Movies". And seriously as of now, not 5 or 10 years from now, today, Marvel is miles ahead of DC in that aspect. I REALLY hope DC gets their head out of their a$$ and consistently competes so Marvel can up THEIR game thus making ALL comic book movie fans happy. No more Catwoman or Green Lantern mockeries. There is a wealth of stories there, but they fail at every turn, other than Nolan's Batman and MoS. Like when WWF/WWE had competition. They had better shows and storylines, but without anything to compete against, WWE became stale. I hope that doesn't happen here. I HOPE TO GOD a good Justice League movie can happen, I'm rooting for it. The problem is that it takes more than 1 or 2 movies to catch up to where Marvel is. You must see that.

PEACE

People were comparing comics, tv, and movies. I was doing all of the above.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2013 07:06 AM
Femi32

PEACE

thumb up

Old Post Oct 1st, 2013 07:41 AM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Oh, speaking of missteps, the Wonder Woman TV pilot. And talks of WW movies keep following through. I do not think current DC higher ups get classic WW.

Marvel actually gets the sales (mostly), but my point is that DC still has some good/profitable properties. From Teen Titans (when it's good), JLA, Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, (At one point it was selling more than any Marvel book), JSA, etc...

You may not like any other character, but that doesn't mean "that's all they have". DC has had more critical acclaimed runs than Marvel (IMO) and they lead in the award category as well.

Yea, but largely in years past, and they aren't very good at leveraging those onto the screen (with some exception to the animated films).

You can't exactly do a "JLA Morrison Run" movie or TV show, after all.

A Green Lantern/Green Arrow would be cool, but dated. Ditto a lot of other classic runs.

Ones like Animal Man or Doom Patrol suffer from being such minor properties they likely aren't going to do well until you've really built up the brand already.

Last edited by Q99 on Oct 1st, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2013 12:36 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote