KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Dune - miniseries

Dune - miniseries
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Dune - miniseries

I finally got my hands on a DVD with the tv series Dune. And I watched it all on one day. It was very enjoyable, but I was also a bit disappointed. It made me appreciate Lynch's 1984 film (which I always loved despite its shortcomings) even more. I must say, Lynch really did an excellent job if I see this series.

A few of my problems with this series:

1. Lousy photoshoppy background, not ONE shot in a real desert
2. Crappy and cheap looking effects
3. THey still didn't manage to make the blue-in-blue eyes properly
4. Paul is TOTALLY unsympathetic, some messiah.
5. Casting is nowhere near as good as in Lynch's Dune
6. Bene gesserit are a laugh, not impressive at all
7. the Harkonnen did not strike me as violent and brutal as the book has them
8. Odd colour lighting, but that's a director's choice.

Trust me, I did enjoy it but now I want to have Lynch's Dune on DVD. Hehehehehe.

Any thoughts on either the series or the 1984 film?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 07:48 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Dune?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 08:42 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Never seen any version of Dune.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 10:09 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

I was a friend of Jamès big grin i liked the series, been a long time since I saw the film. Maybe time for a new peek smile

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 10:33 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Jamis that is. big grin

Well, you should. I can't believe how Lynch managed to incorporate storylines that span the whole film and they didn't manage to do that with this kind of length.

No Dune? One of the major inspirations to SW? Amazing...

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 12:10 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

What can I say? It never appealed to me at the time. Maybe I will have to rent it sometime.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 12:41 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Try the book first. It appears to be fairly unfilmable.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 02:25 PM
Ratcat

I seem to remember that looking at the size of the book is what put me off in the first place...

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 02:38 PM
queeq
Chaos

I know. And no pictures! stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 02:42 PM
Ratcat

Not quite what I meant...

But after hearing a bit about the film and seeing how large the novel was I didn't think it was a story that I would sustain interest in for long enough.

I wasn't much for big novels back then.

I dunno, maybe I will, maybe not.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 02:48 PM
queeq
Chaos

I always liked big novels. Even now.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 02:57 PM
Ratcat

I like big novels, but it has to be something I really wnat to read.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 03:00 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well, all I can say is that Dune is quite a complex sci-fi fantasy type of novel. Sort of a mix between SW and Tolkien.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 03:01 PM
Ratcat

Now Tolkien I like sometimes.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 03:02 PM
queeq
Chaos

There you go. In fact, you'll see a lot of SW in Dune, definately one of the inspirations for GL I'm sure. Desert planet, twin moons (as opposed to twin suns), Bene GEsserit Sisterhood (comparible somewhat to Jedi), evil Emperor ruling the Universe.... a lot of details as well.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 03:07 PM
finti

Spice wink

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 03:14 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yummy.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 03:16 PM
Tex
Yumsz

I thought it was really cheesy when that fat gay guy got shot and he was just floating there, it looked sooooo cheap roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 03:39 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't think an Evil Emperor ruling the Universe came from Dune; it was from Asimov.

I think the mini-series starts tonight in the UK on Sci-Fi; maybe tomorrow, but I will take a look.

queeq, to be honest I had absolutely no sympathy for Paul in the book, either. I thought he was a stuck up little sod and someone should take him out ASAP.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 05:36 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Really? I never had that, but I have to read it again. It's been many years. He is stuck up in the series, very in fact.

Anyway, I liked Paul in Lynch's version better. Better actor too.

And yes, the effects are sometimes very crappy. Even huge matte lines are showing.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2001 08:43 PM