KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Lord of the Rings trilodgey

The Lord of the Rings trilodgey
Started by: DBZFan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mighty Yoda
The all Mighty One

Lotr

Has anybody read these books. Do you think that books are better than the films.

love*Sxc_Sarah*love

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 12:44 PM
Mighty Yoda is currently offline Click here to Send Mighty Yoda a Private Message Find more posts by Mighty Yoda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

well I think a lot of forum members have read them

I have

ofcourse they are better than the films which is quite logical, however the movies are a great tribute to the books.

GO PJ

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 04:46 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

Both are very good. Movies on books tend to be off, but PJ did a good job keeping them true as much as possible (whatever the reasons).

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 08:51 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I put your thread with this one..check it out..alot of lotr fans here! big grin

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 05:08 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
[ofcourse they are better than the films which is quite logical, however the movies are a great tribute to the books.
GO PJ [/B]

thumb up Yeap. The film is great but the books are the books.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 03:32 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

The book is rarely, if ever, inferior to the movie

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 01:53 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DBZFan
** Put title here**

I used to have a LOTR pic, I lost it...

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 04:21 AM
DBZFan is currently offline Click here to Send DBZFan a Private Message Find more posts by DBZFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

I actually liked the movies better....but that's no surprise...the books were good but uh tiresome.....

Old Post Dec 21st, 2003 12:55 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DBZFan
** Put title here**

Yes, they take a while to read.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2003 05:14 AM
DBZFan is currently offline Click here to Send DBZFan a Private Message Find more posts by DBZFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

They're better after seeing the movies. Trust me, I know

Old Post Dec 21st, 2003 07:14 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Frankly, Tolkien has ALWAYS been over-rated as a writer. He is a great imaginer of worlds and characters but writing is simply not his forte and in any objective sense large parts of LOTR are badly written. And that is me speaking as a fan, you know.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 02:18 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I'm afraid I must agree. He does WAY too much dialogue and exposition, not allowing the story to move along.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2003 07:24 AM
Corlindel
Noldor

I shall disagree with you. Tolkien books are very well written, and the story moves along perfectly for such difficult exercise of written.

To many characters and lots facts in a new world become the written difficult too, but Tolkien found the balance between dialogue and description and between action and pauses to gave us a perfect story for all ages.

I think you should give a chanche to an academic as Tolkien.
smile

And, stick out tongue

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2003 10:53 AM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, I know most critics do not. Tolkien has never been regarded as a great writer and I am confused by people who think otherwise when the flaws in his writing and the pacing of his books are relatively plain. Any person who wrote like that now would be widely and justifiably panned.

And likewise Tolkien himself said his joy and pride was in the creation of the world, the language, the cultures, and that the writing of stories was a lesser part of what he did.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2003 01:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Again, I agree. I appreciate the writing itself a LOT less than the world he created, the characters that live in our hearts still

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2003 05:53 PM
DBZFan
** Put title here**

Lets make a poll and see who agrees or dissagrees with you'r thoughts.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 07:53 AM
Corlindel
Noldor

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
And likewise Tolkien himself said his joy and pride was in the creation of the world, the language, the cultures, and that the writing of stories was a lesser part of what he did.

Yeap. You are right. But the creation of the world, the language and the cultures are reason enough to think he was a excellent writer. The subject have major importance in Tolkien's world and the way he did it made him a great writer.

There are some present writers who are famous for their bad writing. Some of then have very bad critics too. But the subject and his development must be understand as part of an avaliation. So, some of them won Nobel prize.

One of the lasts Nobel of Literature went to a portuguese writer named Saramago. He is knew by his bad and difficult way of writing, but that doesn't stop him of be one great writer.

As you said "writing of stories was a lesser part of what he did". I agree, but maybe he didn't had time to write in a better way...

Old Post Dec 26th, 2003 04:40 PM
Silver Surfer
The Last Nice Guy

I just started The Lord of the Rings yesterday. I am only on WeatherTop *even though that's like page 200* I couldn't believe the difference between the book and the movie! Tolkien goes far into detail! I love it so far.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2004 12:32 AM
Silver Surfer is currently offline Click here to Send Silver Surfer a Private Message Find more posts by Silver Surfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Corlindel
Yeap. You are right. But the creation of the world, the language and the cultures are reason enough to think he was a excellent writer. The subject have major importance in Tolkien's world and the way he did it made him a great writer.

There are some present writers who are famous for their bad writing. Some of then have very bad critics too. But the subject and his development must be understand as part of an avaliation. So, some of them won Nobel prize.

One of the lasts Nobel of Literature went to a portuguese writer named Saramago. He is knew by his bad and difficult way of writing, but that doesn't stop him of be one great writer.

As you said "writing of stories was a lesser part of what he did". I agree, but maybe he didn't had time to write in a better way...

Pfft, he spent bloody ages over them. He just didn't have the ability to write in a better way.

And no-one who wrote like Tolkien would come close to a Nobel Prize.

BtVS

Old Post Jan 1st, 2004 05:10 PM
Corlindel
Noldor

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Pfft, he spent bloody ages over them. He just didn't have the ability to write in a better way.

And no-one who wrote like Tolkien would come close to a Nobel Prize.

I must disagree with you. But I understand your point of view.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2004 05:29 PM