KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » who is your favorite author?

who is your favorite author?
Started by: Rogue Jedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Phantom
Angel of Music

^.^ Let's see. J.K. Rowling, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Alexander Dumas (though his last name has the jokes coming to him stick out tongue), Tolkien, probably some others. But most importantly, the one we all loved as children. Dr. Seuss.

Thank you Neha for the sig!
This years Musical: Little Shop of Horrors (sig for it hopefully coming soon)

Old Post Jun 24th, 2007 07:47 AM
The Phantom is currently offline Click here to Send The Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by The Phantom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mud_blood_princ

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JRatT12
R.A. Salvatore best author ever. Go read the Drizzt saga. The Icewind Dale Trilogy is the best. If you have read The LOTR books this are kind of like them but way better. Forgoten relms is great

DARK ELFS KIKE ASS

Drizzt would pwn's harry potter, lol
but seriously, harry has a twig to try and poke him with, Drizzt would cut him in half....

Just read The Templar Legacy by Steve Barry, pretty good read, but the #1 author on my list is Robert Ludlum

Old Post Jun 25th, 2007 02:36 PM
mud_blood_princ is currently offline Click here to Send mud_blood_princ a Private Message Find more posts by mud_blood_princ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mud_blood_princ

Originally posted by The Phantom
^.^ Let's see. J.K. Rowling, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Alexander Dumas (though his last name has the jokes coming to him stick out tongue), Tolkien, probably some others. But most importantly, the one we all loved as children. Dr. Seuss.

Seuss is pretty awesome

Old Post Jun 25th, 2007 02:37 PM
mud_blood_princ is currently offline Click here to Send mud_blood_princ a Private Message Find more posts by mud_blood_princ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gingercaily

Mitch albom coz almost all of his novels are written or based on true story. I also like nicholas sparks..all his romantic novel...

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 08:16 AM
gingercaily is currently offline Click here to Send gingercaily a Private Message Find more posts by gingercaily Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

Favorite authors of fiction:

Henry James - One of the greatest prose stylists in the English language. The characters in his novels and short stories teeter on the brink of an abyss in which besieged European sensibilities come to terms with their own demise - usually at the hand of a brasher, yet less informed American consciousness. His body of work (novels, short stories) is formidable - *Turn of the Screw*, *Daisy Miller*, *The Jolly Corner*, *The Beast in the Jungle*, *Portrait of a Lady*, *The Ambassadors*, *The Golden Bowl*. Wow.

Vladimir Nabokov - Another master sytlist. Very much like Joyce, he exalts in polyglot pun-making and the construction of anagrams. Unlike Joyce, he's enjoyable to read. Most of his novels are self-contained, self-referencial meta-fictions trapping their flawed and unreliable protagonists in a variety of cruel game labarynths from which there are no escapes. His major themes deal with the fabrication of identity, the illusive nature of perception, and the tragic persistence of memory and guilt. *Pale Fire*, *Ada*, *Lolita*, *The Defense*

William Faulkner - In terms of his quality and quantity, he is the greatest American author of any period. (Henry James is his only possible rival). The scope and depth of his imagination is staggering and Shakespere-like in it's ability to explore equally well the terrains of both tragegy and comedy. By himself, he probably accounts for 4-5 of the best Amercian novels of the twentieth century. *The Sound and the Fury*, *Absolon! Absolon!*, *Light in August*, *Go Down Moses*, *The Reivers*, *As I Lay Dying*, *The Hamlet*

Dostoevsky - The greatest Russian novelist. Sorry Tolstoy. I still remember my undergraduate Russian novel class in which we would pretty much alternate reading works from these two literary giants. It became apparent very early on, who was the master and who was the pretender. As grand in some respects as *War and Peace* and *Anna Karenin* are, they leave one cold and unexcited when read next to *Crime and Punishment*, *The Brothers Karamotzov*, and *The Possessed*. While Tolstoy's works have great polish, they betray a naive, Wordworthian sensibility that fails to reach the core of being. Everything about Dostoevsky is bigger, broader, deeper, and better. Anyone that reads these books and doesn't fear and tremble isn't alive.

Shakespeare - Has there ever been anyone better? No. The poetry is masterful, the themes...universal and all-encompassing. Reading Shakespeare's plays is like taking in a cosmos.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 09:56 PM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Locard
barely speaking english

This is a terribly hard question to answer

Im gonna go with shakespeare for now, i've read all his work (i think)
and i couldnt find even ONE that wasnt great and amzingly original (even Timon Athenas, which Shakespeare himself said it was bad)

Btw , if you think that Romeo and Juliet is shakespeares masterpiece, you're totally wrong!

Romeo and Juliet dont even make my shakespeare top 10 =D
thats how great this guy is.

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius

Dostoevsky - The greatest Russian novelist. Sorry Tolstoy. I still remember my undergraduate Russian novel class in which we would pretty much alternate reading works from these two literary giants. It became apparent very early on, who was the master and who was the pretender. As grand in some respects as *War and Peace* and *Anna Karenin* are, they leave one cold and unexcited when read next to *Crime and Punishment*, *The Brothers Karamotzov*, and *The Possessed*. While Tolstoy's works have great polish, they betray a naive, Wordworthian sensibility that fails to reach the core of being. Everything about Dostoevsky is bigger, broader, deeper, and better. Anyone that reads these books and doesn't fear and tremble isn't alive.

Shakespeare - Has there ever been anyone better? No. The poetry is masterful, the themes...universal and all-encompassing. Reading Shakespeare's plays is like taking in a cosmos.

I soooo agree with these two paragraphsHappy Dance

I think Dostoievsky's work is overall better than Tolstoi, but i also think that none of Dostoiesvky books can surpass that immortal masterpiece called "war and peace", i mean, its pretty much like the Illiad, and those are major words. the mastery in the way Tolstoi puts over 500 different characters with together in the same history and assemble all their stories in a perfect collage..phew, its breathtaking eek!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2007 09:02 AM
Locard is currently offline Click here to Send Locard a Private Message Find more posts by Locard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maham

Originally posted by crazy_c
I like Harry potter books

Hey! Me too! yes So I'm basically lookin for a Jo Row book on the shelves.But I dunno since there r few writers I know whenever some1s name on the spine of a book strikes a chord in my head,I'm surprised n I feel as if I like them(even when I havn't read them)

I hav a whole list actually:Mark Twain,Charles Dickens,Putrus Bukhari(Urdu),Shafeeq-ur-Rehamn (Urdu),(used to like) Enid Blyton,Charlotte Bronte,Jules Verne n loads I guess!!!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2007 01:30 PM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gingercaily

My favorite author are Mitch Albom and Nicholas Sparks..

Mitch Albom because i like the way he wrote his novel..very realistic and based on true story, that's why i can easily relate in his novels.

Second is Nicholas Sparks because he writes his stories w/ perfect understanding of his characters, perfect choice of scenes that make the stories and characters seem real. He sends a strong message of faith love & understanding. All novels affect the genre of the story. He writes his novel with all the passion and emotions that exists in real life stories.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 08:16 AM
gingercaily is currently offline Click here to Send gingercaily a Private Message Find more posts by gingercaily Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

Chuck Pahlaniuk(spelling?)

"Put him in a straightjacket, the man's sick!"

Old Post Sep 18th, 2007 05:55 PM
SpaceMonkey is currently offline Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Clive Barker so far.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 03:14 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I love J.K. Rowling's work, I also like Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury and Al Franken

Old Post Sep 30th, 2007 11:52 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jim Colyer
Restricted

Account Restricted

William Shakespeare

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2007 10:35 PM
Jim Colyer is currently offline Click here to Send Jim Colyer a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Colyer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Joseph Campbell, probably. But it's like asking what ice cream is your favorite...I don't have 1, but more like 12...which one is my "favorite" depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2007 10:45 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Giggles
do you like the dark?

J.K. Rowling, Ann Brashares, Carl Hiaasen, Judy Blume, Ray Bradbury, Nicholas Sparks, some Stephen King, Meg Cabot, Jenny Nimmo, i read pretty much everything

Old Post Oct 5th, 2007 12:38 AM
Giggles is currently offline Click here to Send Giggles a Private Message Find more posts by Giggles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disturbed Angel
~.:Fae:.~

William Shakespeare, Anne Rice, J.K Rowling, J.R.R Tolkien. I also love Enid Blyton- her stories take me back to the good old days. There're a whole lot more- TOO much more.

Do you believe in faeries?

I do.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2007 03:47 AM
Disturbed Angel is currently offline Find more posts by Disturbed Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Hey
Just reminding you, I have a book out and it's not doing so hot. I have this amazon.com stalker who hates me and it's been a blow to my self-esteem. To read chapter one (and explore some fun stuff), go to my website at www.freewebs.com/willofthewisp1. It's available online. My publishing company isn't doing a great job of helping me promote it, so here I am. No pressure and you don't have to announce it to me if you buy it, but you've read my writing on here and I think most of you would like it. The Snow White Rebellion. Thanks a lot! Oh, and if you read it, please leave a review.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 01:18 AM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vinz07

I like all novels of the great author Sidney Sheldon...

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 03:43 AM
vinz07 is currently offline Click here to Send vinz07 a Private Message Find more posts by vinz07 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Son_of_forsworn

terry goodkind: author of the sword of truth books
J.K.Rowling: harry pottr books
christopher p.: eragon and eldest.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2007 04:48 PM
Son_of_forsworn is currently offline Click here to Send Son_of_forsworn a Private Message Find more posts by Son_of_forsworn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
unknowable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Homer.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2007 08:16 PM
unknowable is currently offline Click here to Send unknowable a Private Message Find more posts by unknowable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gibsonsdog

Carl Hiaasen and Christopher Brookmyre are great reads

Old Post Nov 28th, 2007 08:02 PM
Gibsonsdog is currently offline Click here to Send Gibsonsdog a Private Message Find more posts by Gibsonsdog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote