KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » who is your favorite author?

who is your favorite author?
Started by: Rogue Jedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lord Shadow Z

Can't pick just one but here are my favourites, by genre:

Sci-fi/Fantasy:

David Gemmell
Simon R. Green
William King
Dan Abnett

Action-Adventure/Thriller:

Stephen Leather
Stephen Hunter
Chris Ryan
Nelson DeMille
William Diehl
Alistair Maclean
James Clavell
John Grisham
Mario Puzo

Horror:

Richard Laymon
Dean Koontz
John Connolly
Stephen Laws
Graham Masterton

Old Post Oct 12th, 2010 03:06 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Can't pick just one but here are my favourites, by genre:

Action-Adventure/Thriller:

Stephen Leather
Stephen Hunter
Chris Ryan
Nelson DeMille
William Diehl
Alistair Maclean
James Clavell
John Grisham
Mario Puzo

You should try AJ Quinnell and Lee Childs as well...

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2010 07:24 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by Dreampanther
You should try AJ Quinnell and Lee Childs as well...

I remember picking up a Quinnell book once but I never read it.. it must have been discarded. I know I haven't read any of Childs' books but I've definitely heard of him.

Sometimes I'm a bit hesitant to try other authors when a book from one of my favourites is available!.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2010 09:36 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Athel.davis

My favorite authora are Richard Scarry,James joyce and henry adams.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2010 11:15 PM
Athel.davis is currently offline Click here to Send Athel.davis a Private Message Find more posts by Athel.davis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

lately, Kurt Vonnegut.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2010 12:49 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
athelnstone

who is your favorite author?

Some my favorite authors are as below :

1) William King
2) Dan Abnett
3) Stephen Hunter
4) Chris Ryan

Old Post Dec 29th, 2010 06:17 PM
athelnstone is currently offline Click here to Send athelnstone a Private Message Find more posts by athelnstone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AfroMan

Lessee here......
Jim Butcher(Fantasy)
Stephen Hunter(action/adventure)
Clive Cussler
Jeffery Deaver(Murder mystery)
James Rollins
Matt Reilly
Michael Crichton.

...And that's all I can remember.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2011 07:13 AM
AfroMan is currently offline Click here to Send AfroMan a Private Message Find more posts by AfroMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coldfire
<3 <3 <3

Mercedes Lackey
Andre Norton
Mercedes Lackey
C.S. Friedman
Robert Jordan

Old Post Mar 25th, 2011 11:42 PM
Coldfire is currently offline Click here to Send Coldfire a Private Message Find more posts by Coldfire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

George R.R. Martin
Steven Erickson
Eric Flint
John Ringo
R. Scott Bakker
Daniel Abraham

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 03:31 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

New favourite author - Neal Asher!

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2011 10:19 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Ken Kesey, he led an inspiring life reflected in his books.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2011 01:41 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bogert
Restricted

Account Restricted

I loved many Books From Shakespear.
But I recently read a Book "The Short Times" from J.J Thompson.
It was a great book with some suspensions.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2011 07:39 PM
bogert is currently offline Click here to Send bogert a Private Message Find more posts by bogert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Here's some thoughts on some new writers who have come to my attention this year, I do tend to stay with familiar authors but my selections have been quite diverse recently, with some new additions to talk about.

Kristen Britain

Really evocative fantasy writing with her book 'Green Rider' starting it off. I found her work so refreshing with her central character Karigan being strong and resillient, but also caring. The premise of the Green Riders was really interesting, and I thought, quite original in some ways. She writes good action and really leaves you racing towards the ending without losing the thread of the story.

Ingrid Black

Starting with 'The Dead' she introduces her main character Saxon who is a former FBI Agent living in Dublin who gets involved in murder investigations. I absolutely love this character because she (Saxon) is very cynical and has a twisted humour which comes across a lot of the time. Black - even though I've never been to Ireland - describes an evocative, even alive, City with memorable characters that feel very feel and aren't that hard to imagine.

Mark Jones

I'm a big fan of spy stories either set in Russia or to do with Russia so 'Black Lightning' fit the bill for me with the story of an American spy having to foil a top secret Russian weapon that would tip the balance in any confrontation with the west. I found the story exciting and intricate, with many surprises and deviations, but also a gentle humour and care running throughout.

Chelsea Cain

Her book 'Heartsick' really brought a very memorable serial killer character to me that just infects every page, even if she's not even in the scene. The protagonist is Archie Sheridan, a cop who has suffered at the hands of her and has to deal with the memories of that. The writing and subjects are brutal and hard-hitting, but what I liked also was how Cain also introduces funny moments and very eccentric characters and situations to alleviate that; but even so the serial killer in question is always the elephant in the room so to speak.

Simon Kernick

If anyone's interested in London gangster/cops type of stories, then this is the man to go for. His stories are really adrenaline-packed and had me reading several one after the other I was so hooked. His writing is so sense driven and in the moment that it's hard to put one down. They are very violent and are not for the faint hearted and not without a little bit of insane weirdness too. But very enjoyable.

Christopher Fowler

It's safe to say I'm hooked on his Bryant & May crime novels which are some of the most fun I've had in a while. They are very detailed, intricate and feature some very interesting characters and situations. The general premise is that Bryant & May are two elderly detectives that head up the Peculiar Crimes Unit; a London-based unit that deals with strange and eccentric crimes that the Met can't solve. As mentioned, they are fun to to read and I've literally been laughing out loud with some of the things that have happened but underneath all that there is this dark underbelly or current that can stop all that dead and it gets serious very quickly indeed. The one thing that is interesting about all of the one's I've read is the information about London and the way Fowler threads all of this history and cultural aspects about the City which makes these all both informative and entertaining novels.

Last edited by Lord Shadow Z on Dec 19th, 2011 at 09:39 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2011 09:37 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Jim Butcher, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Gabriel Garcia-Marquez are some of my faves. Wouldn't say I have a favorite though. Jim Butcher comes the closest, but then it's unfair to compare him to the other two since the reasons why I appreciate them are different, Sartre for his philosophical depth, Marquez for his wit and his talent in making you suspend disbelief to the point you forget you're reading about magic and the supernatural, and Butcher because he's just really damn entertaining and great at crafting a coherent, robust overarching plot across multiple novels.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2011 03:02 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Forgot Neil Gaiman, he's up there too.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2012 05:09 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tor__Hershman
Universal Toilet Cleaner

Poe

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2013 08:58 AM
Tor__Hershman is currently offline Click here to Send Tor__Hershman a Private Message Find more posts by Tor__Hershman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Toby831
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love the books "At the Sign of the Sugared Plum" and "Petals in the Ashes," both by author Mary Hooper.

stickers printing

Old Post Sep 26th, 2013 09:41 AM
Toby831 is currently offline Click here to Send Toby831 a Private Message Find more posts by Toby831 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Jim Butcher, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Gabriel Garcia-Marquez are some of my faves.

Disregard the first two. Just Gabriel Garcia-Marquez at this point. If anyone else comes close it's Vladimir Nabokov.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2013 01:20 PM
Toby831
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love the books "At the Sign of the Sugared Plum" and "Petals in the Ashes," both by author Mary Hooper.

stickers printing

Old Post Oct 1st, 2013 09:40 AM
Toby831 is currently offline Click here to Send Toby831 a Private Message Find more posts by Toby831 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bella 101

My favourite arthor is Ann Rule She writes about true crime and from what l have read on the net and her own web site she is able to gather material from ceertain files and being a former policewoman she has contacts

Old Post Jul 26th, 2014 12:55 PM
Bella 101 is currently offline Click here to Send Bella 101 a Private Message Find more posts by Bella 101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote