KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Back to the Future...

Back to the Future...
Started by: Ken Kenobi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I still like the original best. Part 2, I'm torn, because it has an AWESOME futuristic, "what's old is new again" flair with the space age town square, malt shop, gas stations, and of course the Hoverboard, but then there's the future, with the ghetto-fied Lyon Estates, Biff becoming an abusive millionaire, etc.

Kind of contrasting stories..but I still like it. Uhh..I bought the Trilogy DVD set and have not yet, and probably won't ever, atch Part 3.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 07:56 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

You have watched Part 3 though, right? I found it enjoyable, definately worst of the trilogy. I watched it again recently and remembered how fake it looked when Marty and Seamus were in the same scene, being the same actor.

Also, why did Lea Thompson play Maggie? The family that helped Marty was clearly on Marty's dad's side of the family. So the actress that played Marty's mom shouldn't be playing anyone on his dad's family.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 09:24 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

I like the entire trilogy, this is one of my absolute favorites. But if I had to choose one I'd have to go with part 2 just because of the creative futuristic ideas behind it. I like how they made the concepts realistic and didn't go too over the top with it. Some of the stuff in the film even came true, like Miami having it's own baseball team except they didn't get beat by the Cubs like in the movie big grin

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 09:55 AM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

1st is the best hands down..marty is one of the coolest charactors ever in cinema....and because of that movie one of my goals in life is to own a doleran so why dont you make like a tree and get out of here

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 10:09 AM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

My favorite is the one i think is in the wild west wink

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 01:16 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lydia_J

I love the first one, but the second one has to be the best because it has to all match up with the timeing of BTTF1, i've seen the third one a few too many times for it to be my favourite

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 02:58 PM
Lydia_J is currently offline Click here to Send Lydia_J a Private Message Find more posts by Lydia_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

I love the trilogy. Back to the Future 3 was my favourate, just because I liked the wild west setting. But now, I think No. 2 was the best, with Marty (2) having to set the future straight without meeting Marty (1).

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 04:25 PM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wolfie
You have watched Part 3 though, right? I found it enjoyable, definately worst of the trilogy.

Oh, I've seen it a few times. I find myself walkin' around, talkin about "Nee-kay" skins, lol. I just loathe Westerns in general.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 05:33 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
baracustastic
I aint gettin on no plane

Originally posted by Wolfie
Getting to 88 MPH wasn't really an issue in Part II 'cause they didn't have to worry about driving into a wire or getting pushed by a train to get back home.

My point was that when Doc gets hit by lightning he is hovering, not nipping along at 88mph and yet still timetravels. In the first one the car had to be at 88mph AND get hit by lightning. In the third they have to do wacky stuff with a train because 88mph is crucial.

Americans add throwing, pads, alter the length of the game etc, i.e. change it completely yet still call it football.

Then they call the original soccer, and expect the rest of the world to adopt this bastard name. Pish.

From hence forth American football shall be known as "soccer." by me.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 06:49 PM
baracustastic is currently offline Click here to Send baracustastic a Private Message Find more posts by baracustastic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Hmmm... I didn't think about that before.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 07:14 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

1.21 jiggawatts!!!??? 1.21 JIGGAWATTS!!!!!??

what the hell is a jiggawatt?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2005 10:00 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Padmé Amidala
The Bride of Cascador

Love these films, watched one and two less than a week ago

Old Post Mar 14th, 2005 01:27 AM
Padmé Amidala is currently offline Click here to Send Padmé Amidala a Private Message Find more posts by Padmé Amidala Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLG

I think the 1st and 2nd were the best. I liked the 3rd one, but I don't think it's one of the best in my opinion.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2005 02:38 AM
LLG is currently offline Click here to Send LLG a Private Message Find more posts by LLG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ignite
Toats My Goats

the third one was ok...
but i really enjoyed the 2nd and 1st one...
they were great

Old Post Mar 15th, 2005 02:46 AM
Ignite is currently offline Click here to Send Ignite a Private Message Find more posts by Ignite Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fruits
Regenbogenfarben

i really like all these movies. i think they all have really good ideas, and this one of the few time travel movies that doesn't confuse me royally

Old Post Mar 18th, 2005 04:06 PM
fruits is currently offline Click here to Send fruits a Private Message Find more posts by fruits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

I like the original........the two sequels didn't really have compelling stories........a bit too over the top and slap stick in places.

quote:
My point was that when Doc gets hit by lightning he is hovering, not nipping along at 88mph and yet still timetravels. In the first one the car had to be at 88mph AND get hit by lightning. In the third they have to do wacky stuff with a train because 88mph is crucial.

here's your explanation:

- 88 mph has nothing to do with the functioning of the time machine. It just so happens that the time machine is a car, so doc had to set a specific speed that would activate the time machine portion of the car. Otherwise he would be time traveling everytime he put it in gear. 88mph was merely a switch mechanism.

- at the end of the first movie the lightning is not what sent Marty back to the future. The time circuits were functioning as normal.....the time machine was in perfect working order. The lightning was only to provide the electricity needed (1.21 jiggawats) to power the time machine. The time circuits were still what sent Marty on his way back to the future once the power was harnassed from the lightning to enable the machine to work.

- at the end of part II doc is struck by lightning while hovering in the air and subsequently ends up in the old west. He writes Marty a letter which explains what happens. The lightning shorted out the time machine...the time circuits....which sent him hurling aimlessly back in time. The 88mph switch mechanism was moot, as was the time circuits to control his time travel........the whole thing shorted out.

- at the beginning of part 3 Marty and Doc repair the time machine (circuits, switch mechanism, everything) using 1955 parts as Doc instructed in his letter. It was now back to perfect working order so Marty could go back to 1985. Marty instead decided to go back and get Doc, tearing his fuel line in the process and running out of gas. The time machine was back to perfect working order, it just needed gas.....hence the 88 mph switch mechanism was there.......which meant they had to find a way to attain that speed w/o gasoline.

Old Post May 28th, 2005 04:35 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Evil Dead
I like the original........the two sequels didn't really have compelling stories........a bit too over the top and slap stick in places.

here's your explanation:

- 88 mph has nothing to do with the functioning of the time machine. It just so happens that the time machine is a car, so doc had to set a specific speed that would activate the time machine portion of the car. Otherwise he would be time traveling everytime he put it in gear. 88mph was merely a switch mechanism.

- at the end of the first movie the lightning is not what sent Marty back to the future. The time circuits were functioning as normal.....the time machine was in perfect working order. The lightning was only to provide the electricity needed (1.21 jiggawats) to power the time machine. The time circuits were still what sent Marty on his way back to the future once the power was harnassed from the lightning to enable the machine to work.

- at the end of part II doc is struck by lightning while hovering in the air and subsequently ends up in the old west. He writes Marty a letter which explains what happens. The lightning shorted out the time machine...the time circuits....which sent him hurling aimlessly back in time. The 88mph switch mechanism was moot, as was the time circuits to control his time travel........the whole thing shorted out.

- at the beginning of part 3 Marty and Doc repair the time machine (circuits, switch mechanism, everything) using 1955 parts as Doc instructed in his letter. It was now back to perfect working order so Marty could go back to 1985. Marty instead decided to go back and get Doc, tearing his fuel line in the process and running out of gas. The time machine was back to perfect working order, it just needed gas.....hence the 88 mph switch mechanism was there.......which meant they had to find a way to attain that speed w/o gasoline.

That is the most rationalization i have ever encountered in a back to the future conversation. good job though. that is more than i would bother to write. I would have just said it happened because the writers wanted shitty sequals.

Old Post May 28th, 2005 10:12 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

2nd deff was my favorite. Although the whole trilogy is amazing.

My favorite actor was Christopher Lloyd.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 10:09 PM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
baracustastic
I aint gettin on no plane

Evil Dead,

cheers for that.

It just seemed strange to me that 88 miles an hour being crucial throughout the trilogy should suddenly become a moot point. (A weak bit of writing that's below the trilogy IMO)

However Doc wasn't sent aimlessly through time. Earlier in II, the time circuits blink and flash, Doc thumps them and says "I'll have to fix that." The time flashing is 1885, the year Doc ends up.

The only other thing that bugged me was why the car wasn't wrecked when it fell from the sky in 1885? Cos Doc says the flying stuff got buckled in the lightning.

Anyway, I only notice these things cos of the ridiculous number of times I've seen the films. They're my comfort films.

Americans add throwing, pads, alter the length of the game etc, i.e. change it completely yet still call it football.

Then they call the original soccer, and expect the rest of the world to adopt this bastard name. Pish.

From hence forth American football shall be known as "soccer." by me.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 11:02 PM
baracustastic is currently offline Click here to Send baracustastic a Private Message Find more posts by baracustastic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Well, just assume the ground in 1885 was higher than in 1955 in that area so the time machine didn't fall far.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 11:21 PM