KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Exclusive DVD Content

Exclusive DVD Content
Started by: Ratcat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ratcat

Exclusive DVD Content

OK, this morning I recieved an email from Lucasfilms regarding the http://dvd.starwars.com website. Looks like there is potentially going to be a lot of new stuff on there ans they are pre-warning webmasters that this content is exclusive and should not be captured and posted.

I am posting this here so people are aware. Whilst Raz, Zed and the moderation team can not take direct responsibility for anything you post, if you start posting images from the exclusive site it is Raz who will get the email complaints admin and tech contact for the forum.

Basically people, be sensible, if you accessed it via the DVD web-link consider it off limits for reposting please.
quote:

Sent: 14 October 2001 10:41
Subject: New dvd website

Webmaster,
As you know, the Episode I DVD contains a link to a web site exclusive for DVD owners with the disc physically in their PC's DVD-ROM drive. Before the site goes live, I wanted to give you a heads up that Lucasfilm is very serious about having this content remain purely exclusive to these individuals, for whom it was created and is intended.

Per the terms of use on the new site, the initial wave of launch content along with any and all future content are protected by Lucasfilm copyright and may not be reposted in any manner. This includes text excerpts and screen captures of images and/or video, even in part.

While I can understand reasons why you may desire to do so, such content sharing cannot be tolerated. I hope you will understand that the type of costly content that will be delivered on the site over time is possible only through special partnerships and arrangements based on the idea of DVD-owner exclusivity. Failure to honor this intention will jeopardize not only plans for the Episode I site in the coming weeks and months, but also the willingness and ability to provide fans with special material with future projects.

I trust you will enjoy the new site as it develops. If this is unclear, let me know.

- Paul Ens
Internet Content Manager
Lucasfilm, Ltd.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:55 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well said that man.

It had better be cool stuff...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 11:43 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

That's what I was thinking. From experience I have found that the size and importance of a new item on the official website is related to how far down the food chain of websites they go with an email like this.

SWMovies.Net isn't that near the top of the food chain, (i.e. pretty insignificant to LFL) so hopefully that indicates some real goodies.

Guess I'll be going shopping tomorrow morning...

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 11:55 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

So is it going to be AOTC stuff?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 01:36 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I think that's meant to be the idea, yeah.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 01:43 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

What could they put on this, that they haven't already showed us? Apart from posters and trailers.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 01:45 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Curious, isn't it? Could be terribly disappointing.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 01:48 PM
yerssot

more pics?
I don't know because I don't have a DVD-drive! mad

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 02:58 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

How does the 'Fair Use' clause of the Copyright Law come into play here?

According to that particular section:
quote:
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
Not that I'm saying that we shouldn't respect LFL's wishes...

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 03:36 PM
Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

I see... confused

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 03:47 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Raz is right about the fair use clause, but the problem is that we all know that LFL would go to court and there are very few people out there who would be willing to risk going up against LFL lawyers. Who could afford to do it? Without the lawyers to argue your case you would still end up loosing.

I'm thinking trailer and teaser poster here. There's reportedly a big desire in LFL to beat the record on trailer downloads that was let by LOTR I believe.

You also have to recognise that the fair use clause does make mention of the quantity of an item used.
quote:
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
I think there is also an issue with regards to restriction but I am no lswyer. By giving this restriction notice I think it is safe to say that anyone who does step over the line would find themselves in a very shakey position indeed.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 05:26 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

BTW, can't people just cvisit the address of their own accord?

BTW, if you want to use fair dealing as a defence then you have to give due acknowledgement of the source of the subject in question. Just a reminder.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 05:28 PM
Ratcat

The site is protected. You have to install a piece of software, called the InterActual browser, in order to access the site.

It uses some nifty programming to check for the DVD in the drive as well.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:05 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Cool.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:07 PM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

laughing out loud

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about! It would take me years to figure out how to do all of that stuff you're talking about.

Technology is too complicated! To me, progress of computers peaked with Super Mario Bros.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 15th, 2001 05:14 AM
Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Ah, a technophobe.... laughing out loud (j/k)

Old Post Oct 15th, 2001 06:53 AM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

that's right, though.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 16th, 2001 11:10 AM
Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I sent an email to Paul Ens on the fair use issue and he was kind enough to reply.

What he basically says is that anything on StarWars.Com is OK, as long as it is reported in such a way that it does not negate the need to visit the source. i.e. Fair Use as defined previously.

He woudn't be drawn on whether the content on http://DVD.StarWars.Com would become available on the regular site though.

It appears that SW.C are within there rights to request no external disclosure on the dvd site right now as there is very little there that could be displayed elsewhere without violating the fair use clause.

I think it will get interesting if they release the trailer through the dvd site as a screen cap would fall into fair use, but they want to ban them as well.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2001 01:42 PM
Tex
Yumsz

*pets computer DVD ROM*
soon boy, soon big grin

Old Post Oct 16th, 2001 04:29 PM
Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

and nobody online because they have the DVD... sad

*starts singing 'only the lonely*

Old Post Oct 16th, 2001 05:59 PM