KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Fydor DOstoevsky

Fydor DOstoevsky
Started by: hh?

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Fydor DOstoevsky

anyone read any of his books. i read Crime and Punishment but it was so deep and serious. it was a great book. true classic.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2003 11:57 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

wow! no I havent I know that he is famous for crime and punishment. I am getting so many great reading ideas here I love it..I will check him out...heres a good quote by Fyodor Dostoevsky~

If you want to be respected by others the great thing is to respect yourself. Only by that, only by self-respect will you compel others to respect you.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2003 05:38 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

Yeap. Crime and Punishment is for me is bigger classil.~

readed a lot of F.D. novels.
They are great as other books from classical russian authours.

I recommend:

-The Idiot
-Brothers Karamazov
-The Injured and the Insulted.

He wrote lot of good books that I recommend as I recommend everyone to read russian classicald from N. Gogol, and Alexander Soljenitsin - wirters from the XX century. stick out tongue

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Nov 20th, 2003 01:01 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Crime & Punishment is a great book, I couldn't put it down.

Very dark and disturbing, but what a great anti-hero. big grin

Old Post Nov 20th, 2003 05:37 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

The Idiot? now i have to read that.

i also recommend Black Tulip by Fydor Dostoevsky.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2003 11:55 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

all about the idiot and notes from underground.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 05:58 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

I found the 8 page monologues of the characters extremely boring in Crime and Punishment. However, I have to give Dostoyevsky credit for being able to portray both the good and bad sides of human nature so well.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Apr 17th, 2007 12:35 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

Crime and Punishment was like an extension of Hamlet if it were novel. And the eight page monologue gives a true perspective to a person in deep thought for a week of meditations on their actions.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2007 04:21 AM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
argesilen

He's my favorite Russian writer, though I'm very fond of others like Tolstoy, Mereshkovski, Gogol as well...what's interesting for me about D. is that he discovered a whole new world of human nature, that lies in all of us, world of demons and demonic, as well as angelic nature of men...He described a crime for crime, free of any goal or desire...in him I found priest, who opened the door of religion for me...how to be truly religious, read D. and find out...
favorite work: C and P, Notes from U, and BK...
if you're interested in some deeper analysis of D. read L.Sestov, V.Rosanov, and Mereshkovski...

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2007 08:07 PM
argesilen is currently offline Click here to Send argesilen a Private Message Find more posts by argesilen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

The dialogue of the Brothers Karamazov didn't read particularly true to me. I like Gogol better.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 03:43 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enjoyyrworries
BURNING MAN

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Gregory
The dialogue of the Brothers Karamazov didn't read particularly true to me. I like Gogol better.

Maybe you have a bad translation? I remember the first time I read Anna Karenina, I had some 99 cent bargain-basement version, and the entire thing was so awful I only got through the first two books. I lost it and picked up a new version two years later and absolutely loved it.

Last edited by enjoyyrworries on May 22nd, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2007 10:13 PM
enjoyyrworries is currently offline Click here to Send enjoyyrworries a Private Message Find more posts by enjoyyrworries Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

In addtion to Crime and Punishment, The Brothers K, and Notes from the Underground, the essential read is The Possessed.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 10:05 PM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beaujay1
!

I've started The Idiot, but can't get into it

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 09:48 PM
beaujay1 is currently offline Find more posts by beaujay1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Locard
barely speaking english

Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment must be some of the bestest books i've ever read

For dostoeisky beginners, i recommend you
- Crime and punishment,
- Biesi (Demons), this book is friggin amazing, full of death and evil. it gives you an insight to humans evil nature, the two kinds of evil, the passionate one and the cold one. the cold one is the real demon, because the cold one cant love and...oh whatever, you better read it by yourself.

- the Injured and the Insulted (that was the first Dostoeisvsky book i ever read and i loved it)

these three books are great and quite short compared to the others. (Brothers karamazov is also great , but humongously long, so its not good to begin with)

DONT READ "THE IDIOT" unless you're a hardcore Fyodor fan
(I am one, and i still dont like it much)
the Idiot is the worst dostoievsky book i've ever read, it lacks the pain, the suffering, the death and all the other things that make Dostoievskys books awesome.Its also very long

Last edited by Locard on Jul 5th, 2007 at 08:18 AM

Old Post Jul 5th, 2007 08:04 AM
Locard is currently offline Click here to Send Locard a Private Message Find more posts by Locard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Locard
barely speaking english

quote: (post)
[
DONT READ "THE IDIOT" unless you're a hardcore Fyodor fan
(I am one, and i still dont like it much)
the Idiot is the less good dostoievsky book i've ever read, it lacks the pain, the suffering, the death and all the other things that make Dostoievskys books awesome.Its also very long

fixed.
because nothing Dostoievsky wrote is bad, everything he did is an immortal classic. cool

Old Post Jul 5th, 2007 08:21 AM
Locard is currently offline Click here to Send Locard a Private Message Find more posts by Locard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote