KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S MATRIX GAME: FIRST ASSIGNMENT- 'Codecracker'

USH'S MATRIX GAME: FIRST ASSIGNMENT- 'Codecracker'
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « First ... « 29 30 [31] 32 33 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There may possibly be elements of this involved on the Philosophy path, Coeus, yes...

Coeus is also right. Any answer you can come up with is FULL of holes!

"Just sit tight for now," says Dallas, heading to the cockpit.

Both ships are now leaving broadcast depth and preparing for the journey back to Zion.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 04:59 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

"Coeus go lay down, there is no need for old men on the bridge" stick out tongue

"seriously you could use a rest mate"

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 04:59 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

"And Dallas is letting YOU stay up here?" stick out tongue

"But i will take you up on that, if it's alright with you, of course, Captain"

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 05:03 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"Yeah, yeah, sure, you go lie down..." says Dallas, as the Shez badly lurches with its ruined engine array.

"This thing is handling like a gold brick, Dallas," says Ariadne.

"We'll be fine!" he says

Percy, on the other hand, is gliding home smoothly...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 1st, 2003 at 05:08 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 05:05 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

Cloud wrapped a piece of cloth around his leg wound. "Why does no-one believe me when I say I'm unlucky?" He mutters, "There's no such thing as luck cloud. I've seen worse Cloud. Yeah you're not the one with a hole in your leg..."

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 05:06 PM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Feels like someone crowbarred your leg in the real world, Cloud. Ow...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 05:07 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

*mutters as he is almost thrown into a bulk head when the ship lurches again* "yeah, well, at least we will get a good 'vacation' this time, seeing as how this pile of steel won't be going anywhere in a long while..."

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 05:14 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, I shall give things a little while longer in case someone else wants to make comments or suggestions, and then you will all be heading back to Zion...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 05:18 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

i think that would be all the talk about this one...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 07:41 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok then! The Shez and the Percy get back to Zion, and I shall post what happens next in the Zion thread in a moment...

-----

Post Mortem

Luckily, that's not literal...

Ok, some of you may be a little annoyed that I may have misled you about the 'simple' nature of the mission, I apologise for anyone I caused trouble to... misleading people about the mission was, of course, an important part of the plot. Nonetheless, consider what the actual misison turned out to be.

1. Walk in
2. Find out things are bust.
3. Get out

Pretty simple! One group's escape would be impeded by multiple mundanes, the other by an Agent. The Mundanes would not pursue the group beyond the boundaries of the airport, and the Agent would not pursue players that escaped, worrying about 'other things'. There was a single bail-out option for a player that ran into trouble with the Agent, which I used (Medea). This would give an opportunity for players to learn to act under pressure and learn a little bit about Agent fighting in a scenario which was RELATIVELY non-fatal- and there are precious few scenarios with Agents where they will put so little effort into chasing you. First mission was the best place for it.

After all, what would you have learned form the mission as written? How to plan? You learned that anyway. How to work as a team? The training mission did that. As it is, you guys have learned LOTS. Most of all, of course (and some of you might well have had a shrewd guess that SOMETHING was going to happen as I had mentioned this), it acted as a gateway to the plot.

Now. Those of you who came pretty close to dying may take issue with my attempts to paint this in a good light. Well... ok, but I would be remiss if a mission contained NO danger. Sometimes the dice will do you badly in that regard. But, to be entirely fair, I can make some points that put these near deaths into a perspective.

1. The Agent looked more like it was going to kill people than it was. Mors could probably have taken another hit, Burn another two. Agents don't always hit. In fact the Agent only hit Burn once in five attempts. and that was when Burn was fleeing! Even if beaten, they would not have been dead, only down. Opportunities to rescue them would have existed. As it was, I bailed Burn out in plenty of time, and I was pretty sure that with Burn and San able to help Mors once he was fighting, that he would make it- especially, as I say, in this scenario (ONLY!) the Agent would not pursue. So whilst it might looked like you JUST avoided death, in fact things could have gone a notable amount worse and you still would be out now.

Furthermore, it should have been THREE Agents, but the scenario re-distributed two for an ambush that never happened. Lucky you!

2. The encounter with the jeeps looked horrible- that I had thrown you into a lethal fight against overwhelming numbers and without weapons.

That's not entirely fair. That was a dangerous amount of SWAT guys to fight unarmed, But as written, it was a (very quick) chase rather than a fight and so numbers were less relevant. Yes, you did not have weapons- but this was not a necessary part of the scenario, No criticism that you went in unarmed- it was a fair tactic (and the one used by my own play group also). But you didn't HAVE to be- you could have broken into the place with a ton of weapons if you had decided to go down that plan.

Perhaps more importantly, you took no back-up weapons at all. Ares could have kept ALL your weapons in his vehicle for a handover ASAP. In fact, a VERY well-planned operation would have had Ares keep the vehicle as close as possible to where the weaponless group was going to be, in case things went wrong.

Nonetheless, the encounter was meant to be very survivable weaponless. The reason it looked so fatal is because half the group turned to fight and the fire got concentrated on them.

Again- no criticism. This was a very brave thing to do and it ensured the other three got away clean. I think you will agree that it is entirely fair that players who knowingly take a high-risk decision will actually have to FACE that risk, else where is the drama? You took a risk for the sake of your fellow players. There was a chance of disaster. That did not happen. You got away clean and all is cool!

Now, some of you may be wandering about the exact reason that things buggered up. You got a single clue in the form of what the plain clothes guy said in the lobby, overheard by Burn and San. Other than that you will have to figure it out for yourself. Suffice to say, as you have mist likely guessed, that there was another team there trying for the same thing as you, and you basically buggered each other up- they being the more responsible, though. The other success of the mission is that the lookouts did their job in spotting things for the Operators to check so the Operators could warn you in time- which demonstrates that even the dull looking jobs have their vital things to do.

Frankly, I think you all did great; things can certainly go a whole lot worse in a pressure situation like that. So kudos to all!

The following players- Burn, Celsius, Ares, Heph, Coeus, Fire, Rade and Cloud- took active part in the entire mission and will score full value for it.

Mors, Castor and San took place in about half the mission and will score for their participation

Virus doesn't score but I am sure Phoe will not object to that as she missed the whole lot.

I sometimes give a danger money bonus for those who faced great peril- however, the peril faced was actually fairly even; Coeus and co took their decision to increase risk to themselves with full knowledge and got the result they wanted from it. Danger money is normally given when not enough players go into a situation, and with so many players present that is unlikely.

Note- unlike my other games, you do not score between Assignments. You guys will accumulate your scores between mission and I will give you experience to spend on improving characters once the entire set of Assignments are done.

So, thankyou for playing, hope you had fun, learned a lot, got things to think about, and I shall see you guys back in Zion- and before long, for the next Assignment!

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 1st, 2003 at 08:18 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:03 PM
Dexx
wingless

*pops head out of hole*
what?....finished already?...wow :P
did some serious running in this one big grin
oh well....didn't know what's even going on for most of it.....well...maybe a lil' smile

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:32 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The next Assignment is called 'The Big Run'. There is ten times as much running away...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:33 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

well, i have to say that, although it did not go as planned, and our planning was not as 'thorough' as it shoulda been, it went, overall, very well, we only 'almost' lost one person, which would be Celsius...you almost lost me and Mors, was it? or was it Burn...? anyway, although we were very surprised...every time we turned around, something went wrong...but our response to said "plot turns' was very good and i am glad that it turned out so...HAPPILY for everyone involved...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:39 PM
Fire

yea some things could have gone a bit better, we'll have to work on that next time

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:41 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
The next Assignment is called 'The Big Run'. There is ten times as much running away...

yeah...like i'm ever trusting you mission previews again stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:47 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

So you won't believe me if I tell you it is called "The incredibly smooth and easy thing" then?

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 1st, 2003 at 08:52 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:49 PM
Dexx
wingless

well....i'd love it to be that easy as to simply call them the the oposite every time smile

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 08:54 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ahh, maybe there is a complex code to it...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 09:03 PM
Dexx
wingless

maybe......OR....it might just be random..that's the most complex code wink..unbreakable

Last edited by Dexx on Dec 1st, 2003 at 09:12 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 09:09 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Heh... you said a rude word by mistake... (sniggers)

Anyway, yes, well, before you lynch me, it is not entirely impossible that mission names will start to bear less and less resemblance to the actual plot of things as time goes by...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 1st, 2003 09:11 PM