KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » whats the worst book you ever attempted to read?

whats the worst book you ever attempted to read?
Started by: BadKitty

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BadKitty
cockeyed

Barf whats the worst book you ever attempted to read?

Have you ever got a book and got all cozy and ready for a good night of reading and to your dismay found out you were holding the worst book you ever laid eyes and wanted to toss it in the garbage? well what was it?

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2003 10:05 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

one of mine and I hope I dont get slapped for this but it was Maya Angelou's autobiography of her childhood in Arkansa called 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' I couldnt stand it. I had watched a bio on tv about her and it was interesting shes a great speaker but this book just made me angry mad

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2003 10:12 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

TimeLine by Micheal Crichton. I heard that the movie was coming out so I wanted to read the book. It just didn't appeal to me. I found it really boring, half way through it I thought "Why am I reading this?" I didn't really care about the characters at all, which is essential for any story. So I guess that was it's major flaw for me, I just didn't care if they ever got back so there was no reason to keep reading.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2003 02:26 PM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Complicated
but not really...

I'm reading it right now - The Will to Power by Friedrich Nietzsche. It's not that philosophers typically have horrific literary abilities, or that their ideas are poorly developed, or that the guys translating the original texts and notes from the original languages into English did poorly, but philosophy just isn't good reading, and The Will to Power epitomizes that statement. Most of the "sentences" are fragments, and while they all go along the same themes, and in some rough sort of order, there is somehow little to no congruence.

Every single page is a chore, seemingly made even more difficult than it has to be on purpose, so as to test the conviction and/or maturity of those so bold as to wish to comprehend the words (or an approximation of the words) of one of the greatest philosophers of all time.

Also, I remember strongly disliking much of what I was required to read in high school - Slaughterhouse Five, Brave New World, The Scarlet Letter, Canterbury Tales... I disliked them not because they were written poorly, or I couldn't comprehend them, but simply out of principle - hatred of the pompous deification of them by school boards across the country. You get worked up for something great, then get something okay...

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Never eat more than you can lift. - Miss Piggy

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mohandas Ghandi

Of what is great one must either be silent or speak with greatness. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2003 11:56 PM
Complicated is currently offline Click here to Send Complicated a Private Message Find more posts by Complicated Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

quote:
Also, I remember strongly disliking much of what I was required to read in high school - Slaughterhouse Five, Brave New World, The Scarlet Letter, Canterbury Tales... I disliked them not because they were written poorly, or I couldn't comprehend them, but simply out of principle - hatred of the pompous deification of them by school boards across the country. You get worked up for something great, then get something okay...

so true! I read the scarlet letter out of the ones you mentioned and was let down,but if it hadnt been soo built up in my mind I know I would have loved it.

quote:
Every single page is a chore, seemingly made even more difficult than it has to be on purpose

I have a book called 'a history of knowledge' by charles van doren that totally seems this way... its so interesting because it is a compendium of everything that humankind has thought,invented,created,considered and perfected from the beginning..but he describes things in such a way I feel I have to read a pg 2-3 times for me to understand..making it a painful read.
sad

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 12:32 AM
Complicated
but not really...

quote:
Originally posted by badkittykitty
so true! I read the scarlet letter out of the ones you mentioned and was let down,but if it hadnt been soo built up in my mind I know I would have loved it.

Looking back at my own high school classes, I feel that my teachers were terribly unhappy with their positions in the educational process. Most of those that taught advanced courses taught advanced courses exclusively - essentially being as close to a collegiate level as possible, without much hope of ever reaching the real thing. They seemed to approach the curriculum not as a precurser to the real thing, but as the definitive class and their opinions on subjective materials as informed doctrine. I'd leave classes feeling as if they were trying to convince me that I don't need college - that everything they were teaching me was enough for me to become an educated, cultured, productive member of society. laughing out loud

Poor unhappy, underpaid, dead-end job-having teachers, screwing with the minds of their students... sad

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Never eat more than you can lift. - Miss Piggy

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mohandas Ghandi

Of what is great one must either be silent or speak with greatness. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 01:17 AM
Complicated is currently offline Click here to Send Complicated a Private Message Find more posts by Complicated Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fungrl515

ballad of lucy whipple and year of wonders. terrible books. of course, i HAD to read them, so i forced myself too, but i've been scarred fro life since reading yow. ah! shield the children's eyes!!!

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 03:19 AM
fungrl515 is currently offline Click here to Send fungrl515 a Private Message Find more posts by fungrl515 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crazy_c
Very Tired

I dont think ive ever read a book that i didnt want to read.erm

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:42 AM
crazy_c is currently offline Click here to Send crazy_c a Private Message Find more posts by crazy_c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

scared for life fungrl515? that is a truly terrible book!
your lucky c.c. its a traumatic experience!

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 10:13 PM
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

daughers of eve by lois duncan. i think.

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 01:12 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anoushka
The Vampire Anoushka

A Brave New World.dunno who wrote it.it got me so damn sad n pissed off.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 01:20 PM
Anoushka is currently offline Click here to Send Anoushka a Private Message Find more posts by Anoushka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

damn does Harry Potter books. waste of my time.

once again i recommend everyone to read Crime and Punishment by Fydor Dostoevsky

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 05:21 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
happy kine
mirth maker

quote:
Originally posted by h0ck3yh0rr0r
damn does Harry Potter books. waste of my time.

once again i recommend everyone to read Crime and Punishment by Fydor Dostoevsky

crime and punishment... how does it end? i was 3 quarters through and i lost the book... i was moving from one location to another and poof it disappeared. but it was a very good book... maybe i'll rent it from the library.. unless you just tell me how it ended..

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 09:34 PM
happy kine is currently offline Click here to Send happy kine a Private Message Find more posts by happy kine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fungrl515

quote:
Originally posted by badkittykitty
scared for life fungrl515? that is a truly terrible book!
your lucky c.c. its a traumatic experience!

are you kidding me! i despised that book! i hate it! i've given it to my friend so they could burn it.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 09:44 PM
fungrl515 is currently offline Click here to Send fungrl515 a Private Message Find more posts by fungrl515 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EOWYN3

Crime & Punishment was too much work

Old Post Nov 25th, 2003 11:21 AM
EOWYN3 is currently offline Click here to Send EOWYN3 a Private Message Find more posts by EOWYN3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

two words,
Great Expectations
classic my butt, soooo boring, hated it. AND i accually had to read it for school. I can usuallly whip through books, because i like to read and can read fast but that took FOREVER!

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 01:42 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

quote:
Originally posted by tptmanno1
two words,
Great Expectations
classic my butt, soooo boring, hated it. AND i accually had to read it for school. I can usuallly whip through books, because i like to read and can read fast but that took FOREVER!
Great Expectations..never heard of it..sounds like Im lucky! laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 05:56 AM
BrightEyes85
Kill them with kindess

The scarlett letter. I know its a classic and people view it in great reverance but it was too boring. I don't even think I got past the first chapter.

I got a hunger and I can't seem to get full.
I need a meaning I can memorize
the kind I have always slips my mind.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 07:56 AM
BrightEyes85 is currently offline Click here to Send BrightEyes85 a Private Message Find more posts by BrightEyes85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

i hate so called "classics" the're never any good.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2003 05:05 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RonyLeBeau
Next time it may be you!

In Dark Water-by Mermer Blakeslee
This book was strange, very twisted, and the worst book i ever read.

wacko

Do you hear the wind my brothers and sisters it is time to rise....-Kickapoo-Lipan Nations-

Old Post Nov 28th, 2003 09:03 AM
RonyLeBeau is currently offline Click here to Send RonyLeBeau a Private Message Find more posts by RonyLeBeau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote