KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » whats the worst book you ever attempted to read?

whats the worst book you ever attempted to read?
Started by: BadKitty

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Heeeh.

The Artemis Fowl books. My Dad got me one while I was growin' up, and I tried reading it, but I just didn't like it. So I just kind of hid it on my shelf, and he kept buying me more of the series! I didn't want to tell him I hated it.......so I just dealt with him giving me those books.....

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 08:48 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

I remember distinctly disliking the Great Gatsby when I had to read it in high school. Not to say it's the worst book I've ever read, but it's not getting praise or going on my favorite list anytime soon.

And I did manage to get through all of Blood and Chocolate which was simply awful. The plot is rather disjointed and the characters are shallow and unlikeable. That's the last time I read a book based on a neat-looking movie trailer...

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 03:34 PM
Callan is currently offline Click here to Send Callan a Private Message Find more posts by Callan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Great Gatsby? You what?

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 05:23 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

I greatly disliked reading it. The characters were impossible to connect to and I couldn't appreciate most of the literary devices and themes that Fitzgerald used. It was an immensely boring read and I got my lowest grade of the semester on my paper for it, simply because I wrote about how much I abhorred reading it.

I realize that it's in the pantheon of 'Greatest Literary Classics' or whatever, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or appreciate it.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 07:22 PM
Callan is currently offline Click here to Send Callan a Private Message Find more posts by Callan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course you don't have to like it, though I would advise re reading it with an open mind, in your free time.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2007 04:32 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

I'd rather read something that isn't going to bore me to tears, thanks. smile

Yet another book that I absolutely loathed reading was The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Yet another droll, mind-numbing exercise in boredom that I was made to suffer through in high school. That and To Kill a Mockingbird nearly killed my love for reading.

Luckily, the bunnies of Watership Down saved me from completely giving up on high school English curriculum. smile

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 01:14 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jesus, you have very bad taste, in my opinion.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 01:40 AM
Callan

I don't know how you're able to make that judgment based on three books I don't like and one that I do, honestly.

I just don't have the same tastes as you in books, that's all. smile

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 02:42 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, which is why I regard your taste as bad and mine as good. I think the Great Gatsby, To Kill A Mockingbird and The Grapes Of Wrath are fantastic, you don't, you think Watership Down is. That's fair enough, it's your choice and all that, I just think it's poor.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 02:49 AM
Callan

That's fine, as long as you'll allow me to think your taste in books is poor as well.

At the risk of further incurring chillmeistergen's wrath but to steer back on topic, I also disliked Walden by Henry David Thoreau, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. The first two were filled with so much political and social blather that I just gave up halfway through each. I read Wide Sargasso Sea because I really enjoyed Jane Eyre and was hoping for an enjoyable offshoot. To my dismay, it had none of Emily Brontė's charm and I was left feeling wholly disappointed for reading it.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 03:12 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Callan
That's fine, as long as you'll allow me to think your taste in books is poor as well.

At the risk of further incurring chillmeistergen's wrath but to steer back on topic, I also disliked Walden by Henry David Thoreau, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. The first two were filled with so much political and social blather that I just gave up halfway through each. I read Wide Sargasso Sea because I really enjoyed Jane Eyre and was hoping for an enjoyable offshoot. To my dismay, it had none of Emily Brontė's charm and I was left feeling wholly disappointed for reading it.

Of course, you can think what you want of my taste.

Jane Eyre was written by Charlotte Brontė.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 03:24 AM
Callan

Thanks for that, I obviously had Wuthering Heights on the mind instead of Jane Eyre. smile

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 03:30 AM
backdoorman
'cause I'm loose

Thanks for that, I obviously had Wuthering Heights on the mind instead of Jane Eyre. smile

In comparison to what work by her did you feel it fell short of charm?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 11:19 AM
backdoorman is currently offline Click here to Send backdoorman a Private Message Find more posts by backdoorman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

Comparing Charlotte Brontė's Jane Eyre to Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea. I felt the latter lacked the former's charm.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 01:53 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't like either.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 02:22 PM
JackieCD

Catch 22

Old Post Dec 27th, 2007 12:53 AM
JackieCD is currently offline Click here to Send JackieCD a Private Message Find more posts by JackieCD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
backdoorman
'cause I'm loose

Comparing Charlotte Brontė's Jane Eyre to Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea. I felt the latter lacked the former's charm.

Yeah, I had misunderstood what you said before.

As to the original topic, "All the President's Men" was certainly a bore.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2007 03:13 PM
backdoorman is currently offline Click here to Send backdoorman a Private Message Find more posts by backdoorman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrCampion
Restricted

Account Restricted

Terminator 2 Hour of the Wolf. I felt like I was coming in on a story already in progress.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2007 06:16 PM
MrCampion is currently offline Click here to Send MrCampion a Private Message Find more posts by MrCampion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Messenges from the Angels.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 11:20 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. I've never really appreciated Hemingway that much, he can write some beautifully poignant passages, but then ruin in it in a few pages by seemingly putting so much effort into writing in such a sparse style. He always wanted to write the perfect sentence, and he may well have done, had it not been followed by an awful one.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2008 12:39 AM