KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Outsiders

The Outsiders
Started by: surferrocker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
V@LL3jOk!D707

Yes this is the first time.

Im at the part where Johhny and Ponyboy were actacked by some Socs and Ponyboy was getting drowned and Johhny killed the Soc. Then they went to a party where Dally is and they needed help.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 05:47 AM
V@LL3jOk!D707 is currently offline Click here to Send V@LL3jOk!D707 a Private Message Find more posts by V@LL3jOk!D707 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luciferia
Angel of Music

I didnt know what book everyone was talking about at first, but I've just realised I saw the film, up from where they killed the soc, and it was great! I didnt know it was a book, though. I think I'll try and get a copy.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 09:47 AM
Luciferia is currently offline Click here to Send Luciferia a Private Message Find more posts by Luciferia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
orlandoOYEA
Since When?

I had to erad it for school and i didnt enjoy it very much possibl because constantly writing essays on it and im more of a fantasy person. Still its a mildly good book

made by cinemaddiction

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 02:20 AM
orlandoOYEA is currently offline Click here to Send orlandoOYEA a Private Message Find more posts by orlandoOYEA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

i thought this book was really good. I had to read it for school too, but a couple of years later i re-read it just because i thought it was that good. N the movie was one of my favorites because of the killer cast that signed on to do the movie...(sry for talking movies n da booky thread)

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 03:15 AM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

quote:
Originally posted by VallejoKid707
Yes this is the first time.

Im at the part where Johhny and Ponyboy were actacked by some Socs and Ponyboy was getting drowned and Johhny killed the Soc. Then they went to a party where Dally is and they needed help.

do you like the book so far? the movie adaptation isn't too bad. they got a great cast of big name actors.

Greasers:

Ponyboy Curtis - C. Thomas Howell (15)
Sodapop Curtis - Rob Lowe (18)
Daryl Curtis - Patrick Swayze (early to mid 20's)
Two-Bit Mathews - Emilio Estesvez (ealry 20's)
Dallas Winston - Matt Dillon (early 20's)
Johnny Cade - Ralph Macchio (21 - no, i ain't kiddin' yah)
Steve Randle - Tom Cruise (21)

Socs:

Cherry Valance - Diane Lane (early 20's)
Bob - Leif Garrett (early 20's)
Randy - (i forgot) (mid 20's)

Others:

Nurse (in Dally's Room) - S.E. Hinton (30's)

quote:
slashwristbarbi: I didnt know what book everyone was talking about at first, but I've just realised I saw the film, up from where they killed the soc, and it was great! I didnt know it was a book, though. I think I'll try and get a copy.

s.e. hinton wrote the book when she was only 16, back around the late 60's. around 1966, that's when the book takes place. when i saw the movie when i was a couple of years younger, i thought it was great. but once i hit my teens and re-read the book once again, the movie lacked a few scenes. not to worry though, from what i read at a movie/book fansite, in the spring of this year, a new edition of the dvd/movie is to come out. deleted and exteneded scenes included. i can't wait to get it!!!

quote:
orlandoOYEA: I had to erad it for school and i didnt enjoy it very much possibl because constantly writing essays on it and im more of a fantasy person. Still its a mildly good book

the funny thing is, i always wanted to ask my lit teacher if we could read and study it in class. from what you said and when i think on it again, yes having to learn about it can ruin it for you. perfectly understandable statement.

mildly good book you say? well, for me, i'm really impressed at how good, impacting the novella is, and the level of intellect that she used considering her age and all at the time. what i'm saying is, that's pretty good for someone so young. i didn't start writing fanfiction up until early last year after i turned seventeen. oh, the jealously! laughing

quote:
Linkalicious: i thought this book was really good. I had to read it for school too, but a couple of years later i re-read it just because i thought it was that good. N the movie was one of my favorites because of the killer cast that signed on to do the movie...(sry for talking movies n da booky thread)

my sixth grade teacher, miss harrington, read this book out loud to the class every day towards the end of the school year. i can't remember my exact opinions on the book, but i do know that i loved it. she had the one that had the movie cover on it. that is, pix from the movie. i wished i had that copy, only paper back. the one i have has mostly purple and paintings on it. also, what i could do, is take a banner or have someone make one so that i can print it out and use it as a creative bookcover. it would most likely comprise of pix of rob lowe as sodapop curtis. *giggles* *sigh* *meltin'* love anyways...ever since then, i've been re-reading that book at least once a year. i love the book that much. i don't watch the movie as often. you're right that it's a killer cast, no one can top them (not even if there was a remake!)! since rob lowe is so damn fine, maybe i shall rent some of his old movies...also i watch the west wing a bit. not for the plot, but just to oogle over him! eek! laughing love it's okay if you mentioned the movie, as long as we all are talking about the threads subject, it should be fine. ^.^

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 10:40 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
V@LL3jOk!D707

Whats the website Soda?

Old Post Jan 24th, 2004 07:39 PM
V@LL3jOk!D707 is currently offline Click here to Send V@LL3jOk!D707 a Private Message Find more posts by V@LL3jOk!D707 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

Valle: here's the link - The Outsiders Movie And Book Site

Greasers:

Ponyboy Curtis - C. Thomas Howell (15)

(please log in to view the image)

Sodapop Curtis - Rob Lowe (18)

Daryl Curtis - Patrick Swayze (early to mid 20's)

Two-Bit Mathews - Emilio Estesvez (ealry 20's)

Dallas Winston - Matt Dillon (early 20's)

Johnny Cade - Ralph Macchio (21 - no, i ain't kiddin' yah)

Steve Randle - Tom Cruise (21)

i'm just postin' these pix of the cast on the account that i'm bored.

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 01:06 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Havent read through all the replies here but just in case this hasnt been mentioned,just ask BopRecruit any questions you have and he can answer them for you.He's pretty much the expert on it all.That or you can PM him,either one.Yeah that book had an impact on my life as well,you'll love this book.Rumble fish and Tex are really good to.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 05:36 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Havent read through all the replies here but just in case this hasnt been mentioned,just ask BopRecruit any questions you have and he can answer them for you.He's pretty much the expert on it all.That or you can PM him,either one.Yeah that book had an impact on my life as well,you'll love this book.Rumble fish and Tex are really good to.

thanks for the compliment, mr. parker. but the problem is, i'm not a guy. it's okay, don't worry, it's a common error. i get it alot until i tell them. laughing pretty amusing actually... embarrasment i guess i'm kind of tomboyish. anyways, the outsiders is the only s.e. hinton book that i read from cover to cover. i tried reading "that was then, this is now" for the first 22 pages or so, but i wasn't digging it. although, it is pretty cool that curly shepard, ponyboy, and two-bit do have small cameos in it. do they come up in the movie also and played by the same actors? so, what's rumble fish and tex about? i know whose in it pretty much, but not sure of the plot. matt dillion and nick cage are in rumble fish. tex...i think has emilio estesvez? confused

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 08:17 AM
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by BOPRecruit 16
thanks for the compliment, mr. parker. but the problem is, i'm not a guy. it's okay, don't worry, it's a common error. i get it alot until i tell them. laughing pretty amusing actually... embarrasment i guess i'm kind of tomboyish. anyways, the outsiders is the only s.e. hinton book that i read from cover to cover. i tried reading "that was then, this is now" for the first 22 pages or so, but i wasn't digging it. although, it is pretty cool that curly shepard, ponyboy, and two-bit do have small cameos in it. do they come up in the movie also and played by the same actors? so, what's rumble fish and tex about? i know whose in it pretty much, but not sure of the plot. matt dillion and nick cage are in rumble fish. tex...i think has emilio estesvez? confused

Well dont I feel like the moron for not checking your profile that your a female. embarrasment Your user name sounds like a name a guy would choose so yeah without looking,I just assumed you HAD to be a dude. embarrasment yeah that was then,this is now,although I liked it,I didnt get into it as much as Rumble Fish and Tex.I loved the novel of The Outsiders but I didnt care for the movie at all though.same with That was then this is now and Rumble Fish. Tex was the only one I thought was a good movie.It was so long ago when I saw the movies but I dont think their characters were in the movies.Yeah Tex has Emilio Estevez in it and thats the main reason I like it so much.I love his character in it.Tex is about 2 boys who live on a ranch and Tex's older brother has to work while in High School to support them because their mom died and their dad is always gone months on end on rodeo circuits and only home occassionally every few months.In the novel they had it where Tex was in junior High school and his older brother was in high school,but the movie changed it to where they were both in high school with Tex a feashman and his older brother a SR in high school.Matt Dillon of course is Tex in that film and Emilio Estevez is his best friend Johhny.Rumble Fish again has Matt Dillon as the younger brother in it,cant remember who was the older brother but they are always involved in gang fights and his older brother is called the motorcycle boy.He always looks after him because their father is an alchoholic and had no job so his older brother pretty much supports them all.The motorcycle boy has always been there for him when he was in trouble,but in the end,he is left wondering what to do because as you will find out,the motorcycle boy is no longer around to pick up the pieces as the novel says. If you havent seen Tex you have got to see that movie.Most movies made out of novels are dissapointing but this was one of those rare cases where I thought the movie was even better than the novel. smile

Last edited by Mr Parker on Jan 30th, 2004 at 05:42 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 05:39 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

quote:
Well dont I feel like the moron for not checking your profile that your a female. embarrasment Your user name sounds like a name a guy would choose so yeah without looking,I just assumed you HAD to be a dude. embarrasment yeah that was then,this is now,although I liked it,I didnt get into it as much as Rumble Fish and Tex.I loved the novel of The Outsiders but I didnt care for the movie at all though.same with That was then this is now and Rumble Fish. Tex was the only one I thought was a good movie.It was so long ago when I saw the movies but I dont think their characters were in the movies.Yeah Tex has Emilio Estevez in it and thats the main reason I like it so much.I love his character in it.Tex is about 2 boys who live on a ranch and Tex's older brother has to work while in High School to support them because their mom died and their dad is always gone months on end on rodeo circuits and only home occassionally every few months.In the novel they had it where Tex was in junior High school and his older brother was in high school,but the movie changed it to where they were both in high school with Tex a feashman and his older brother a SR in high school.Matt Dillon of course is Tex in that film and Emilio Estevez is his best friend Johhny.Rumble Fish again has Matt Dillon as the younger brother in it,cant remember who was the older brother but they are always involved in gang fights and his older brother is called the motorcycle boy.He always looks after him because their father is an alchoholic and had no job so his older brother pretty much supports them all.The motorcycle boy has always been there for him when he was in trouble,but in the end,he is left wondering what to do because as you will find out,the motorcycle boy is no longer around to pick up the pieces as the novel says. If you havent seen Tex you have got to see that movie.Most movies made out of novels are dissapointing but this was one of those rare cases where I thought the movie was even better than the novel. smile

i know my user name sounds so masculine...i don't go for really girlie names that devote to their fave hotties and/or like crazy letters in screen name styles. bop is supposed to stand for "birds of prey" which has alot of female characters. i love stories with meta-humans!

abandonment, tight groups, and alchohol seems like a popular theme in all of s.e. hinton's books. the outsiders, that was then this is now, and rumble fish seem to deal with clicks and being raised my your closest friends or brothers. outsiders and tex have rodoes. does dally and buck come up in tex? both of those books, tex and rumble fish, sound quite interesting. i'll try to look them up next time i'm at a book store. yes, i agree that the movies can be disappointing. the big name actors in them weren't so bad. man, what an a list they had in outsiders! am i right?! eek!

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 06:35 AM
V@LL3jOk!D707

I read like one chapter of Tex and I hated it. The movie was bad too. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 06:59 AM
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

valle: what year did that movie come out? (btw, check out what i posted in the unhosted rpg forums for our game! eek! )

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 07:13 AM
V@LL3jOk!D707

No idea. I just watched in my english class like a month ago.

I had an opportunity to the get movie of The Outsiders but I decided to finish the book first.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 01:25 AM
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by BOPRecruit 16
i know my user name sounds so masculine...i don't go for really girlie names that devote to their fave hotties and/or like crazy letters in screen name styles. bop is supposed to stand for "birds of prey" which has alot of female characters. i love stories with meta-humans!

abandonment, tight groups, and alchohol seems like a popular theme in all of s.e. hinton's books. the outsiders, that was then this is now, and rumble fish seem to deal with clicks and being raised my your closest friends or brothers. outsiders and tex have rodoes. does dally and buck come up in tex? both of those books, tex and rumble fish, sound quite interesting. i'll try to look them up next time i'm at a book store. yes, i agree that the movies can be disappointing. the big name actors in them weren't so bad. man, what an a list they had in outsiders! am i right?! eek!

Yeah I bet Hinton must have gone through some rough times in her childhood similiar to that.That would explain why the theme of all of her books are all so similiar.I think if you like Tex,you will really enjoy the movie because for once,it was loyal to the novel.If you do watch Tex,pay close attetnion to Emilio Estevez,his character.I like that movie a lot because his character was so much like me when I was in high school and I can really relate to him.Yeah your right,those are some big name actors for The Outsiders.Except back then they werent big name actors of course.You know who that guy looks like next to Emilio Estevez? I doubt it that its him,but it looks a lot like Leonardo Decaprio dont you think?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2004 05:10 PM
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

quote:
Yeah I bet Hinton must have gone through some rough times in her childhood similiar to that.That would explain why the theme of all of her books are all so similiar.I think if you like Tex,you will really enjoy the movie because for once,it was loyal to the novel.If you do watch Tex,pay close attetnion to Emilio Estevez,his character.I like that movie a lot because his character was so much like me when I was in high school and I can really relate to him.Yeah your right,those are some big name actors for The Outsiders.Except back then they werent big name actors of course.You know who that guy looks like next to Emilio Estevez? I doubt it that its him,but it looks a lot like Leonardo Decaprio dont you think?

from reading about her and the outsiders, tulsa seems like a real tough neighborhood back in the days. in the outsiders, ponyboy and two-bit remind me alot of myself back in grade school and until now. like pony, i can be serious in my work and a good writer when i'm concentrating on my work and not being such a lazy ass. with two-bit, it's when i let loose during break times and when i'm hanging with my friends. i'm half mental and half intellect. how odd is that? big grin laughing my online personality is sodapop and two-bit. anyways...upon your recommendation, i'll read tex when i see it. the outsiders movie helped some of the guys get noticed. for example, tom cruise getting his part in "risky business" nearly a year after this movie. i would like to see rob lowe and emilio estesev appear more often on tv, in tv movies, and/or big screen movies. they haven't done anything in a while. i know rob is busy with his show, lion's den. are you referring to the pix that i posted above? well, that's c.thomas howell as ponyboy with his hair bleached blonde for the last half of the movie. him looking like leo? eek! heck no!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2004 03:19 AM
Trang

I definitely recommended reading this book.

Hopelessly stuck on games or homework? Like to discuss about your favorite anime, movies, sports, cartoons, TV shows, games, histories, or just hang out with our fellow members or your own friends at the bar?

If so, join our community at: RPG Realm we have friendly members that are willing to help or discuss with any problems that you have. We are happy to help you out in anyway. Feel free to ask.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2004 07:06 AM
Trang is currently offline Click here to Send Trang a Private Message Find more posts by Trang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

if anyone finds/sees the movie version of the outsiders on dvd that features deleted and extended scenes, that is supposed to be released this spring in stores, please let me know by pming me or something!

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 08:10 AM
Beyond Image
RE SOCK the UNITY

read that book for my class back when i was in 7th grade, loved the story, eventually watched the movie after we ( as a class) finished the book...loved it even more, because, in a way, i was a greaser, living on the west side of a small town...

Old Post Jul 16th, 2004 08:17 AM
Beyond Image is currently offline Click here to Send Beyond Image a Private Message Find more posts by Beyond Image Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xLiNdS x 622x
Boom shakalaka

i just got finished reading it in school and it is my favorite book!...it is so awesome and i made all my friends read it...S.E Hilton is an amazing author and i don't know about u all but i cried when johnny died...it was so sad!!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2005 03:59 AM
xLiNdS x 622x is currently offline Click here to Send xLiNdS x 622x a Private Message Find more posts by xLiNdS x 622x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote